- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 352736, 21 pages
A New Microarray System to Detect Streptococcus pneumoniae Serotypes
1Department of Infectious Disease, Nagoya University Hospital, 65 Tsurumai-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8550, Japan
2Department of Bacteriology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8550, Japan
3Center of National University Hospital for Infection Control, Nagoya University Hospital, Nagoya 466-8550, Japan
4Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya 466-8550, Japan
Received 29 July 2010; Revised 10 December 2010; Accepted 18 January 2011
Academic Editor: Frederick D. Quinn
Copyright © 2011 Yuka Tomita et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. van der Poll and S. M. Opal, “Pathogenesis, treatment, and prevention of pneumococcal pneumonia,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9700, pp. 1543–1556, 2009.
- K. McIntosh, “Community-acquired pneumonia in children,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 6, pp. 429–437, 2002.
- CDC, “Preventing pneumococcal disease among infants and young children: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP),” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1–35, 2000.
- J. O. Kim and J. N. Weiser, “Association of intrastrain phase variation in quantity of capsular polysaccharide and teichoic acid with the virulence of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 368–377, 1998.
- J. Henrichsen, “Six newly recognized types of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 2759–2762, 1995.
- J. O. Klein, “The epidemiology of pneumococcal disease in infants and children,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 246–253, 1981.
- J. Yother, “Capsule,” in The Pneumococcus, E. I. Tuomanen, Ed., pp. 30–48, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- E. García, D. Llull, R. Muñoz, M. Mollerach, and R. López, “Current trends in capsular polysaccharide biosynthesis of Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 151, no. 6, pp. 429–435, 2000.
- S. D. Bentley, D. M. Aanensen, A. Mavroidi et al., “Genetic analysis of the capsular biosynthetic locus from all 90 pneumococcal serotypes.,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 2, no. 3, article e31, 2006.
- J. E. G. Van Dam, A. Fleer, and H. Snippe, “Immunogenicity and immunochemistry of Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular polysaccharides,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 1–47, 1990.
- D. M. Aanensen, A. Mavroidi, S. D. Bentley, P. R. Reeves, and B. G. Spratt, “Predicted functions and linkage specificities of the products of the Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular biosynthetic loci,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 189, no. 21, pp. 7856–7876, 2007.
- D. A. Brito, M. Ramirez, and H. De Lencastre, “Serotyping Streptococcus pneumoniae by multiplex PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 2378–2384, 2003.
- F. Kong, M. Brown, A. Sabananthan, X. Zeng, and G. L. Gilbert, “Multiplex PCR-based reverse line blot hybridization assay to identify 23 Streptococcus pneumoniae polysaccharide vaccine serotypes,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1887–1891, 2006.
- F. Kong and G. L. Gilbert, “Using cpsA-cpsB sequence polymorphisms and serotype-/group-specific PCR to predict 51 Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular serotypes,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 1047–1058, 2003.
- F. Kong, W. Wang, J. Tao et al., “A molecular-capsular-type prediction system for 90 Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes using partial cpsA-cpsB sequencing and wzy- or wzx-specific PCR,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 351–356, 2005.
- E. R. Lawrence, C. A. Arias, B. Duke et al., “Evaluation of serotype prediction by cpsA-cpsB gene polymorphism in Streptococcus pneumoniae,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1319–1323, 2000.
- E. R. Lawrence, D. B. Griffiths, S. A. Martin, R. C. George, and L. M. C. Hall, “Evaluation of semiautomated multiplex PCR assay for determination of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes and serogroups,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 601–607, 2003.
- R. Pai, R. E. Gertz, and B. Beall, “Sequential multiplex PCR approach for determining capsular serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 124–131, 2006.
- F. Zhou, F. Kong, Z. Tong, and G. L. Gilbert, “Identification of less-common Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes by a multiplex PCR-based reverse line blot hybridization assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 3411–3415, 2007.
- S. L. Batt, B. M. Charalambous, T. D. McHugh, S. Martin, and S. H. Gillespie, “Novel PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism method for determining serotypes or serogroups of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 2656–2661, 2005.
- Q. Wang, M. Wang, F. Kong et al., “Development of a DNA microarray to identify the Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes contained in the 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine and closely related serotypes,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 128–136, 2007.
- P. H. Mäkelä and J. C. Butler, “History of pneumococcal immunization,” in Pneumococcal Vaccines, G. R. Siber, K. P. Klugman, and P. H. Mäkelä, Eds., chapter 1-2, pp. 19–29, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- M. H. Kyaw, R. Lynfield, W. Schaffner et al., “Effect of introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 14, pp. 1455–1463, 2006.
- K. K. Hsu, J. E. Kellenberg, S. I. Pelton, D. S. Friedman, M. R. Moore, and H. T. Jordan, “Emergence of antimicrobial-resistant serotype 19A Streptococcus pneumoniae—Massachusetts, 2001–2006,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 56, no. 41, pp. 1077–1080, 2007.
- M. R. Jacobs, C. E. Good, S. Bajaksouzian, and A. R. Windau, “Emergence of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 19A, 6C, and 22F and serogroup 15 in Cleveland, Ohio, in relation to introduction of the protein-conjugated pneumococcal vaccine,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1388–1395, 2008.
- CDC, “Licensure of a 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) and recommendations for use among children—advisory committee on immunization practices (ACIP), 2010,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 258–261, 2010.