- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 384627, 9 pages
Shen-Fu Injection Preconditioning Inhibits Myocardial Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Diabetic Rats: Activation of eNOS via the PI3K/Akt Pathway
1Department of Anesthesiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430060, China
2Department of Gastroenterology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430060, China
3Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Wuhan University, Donghu Road, Wuhan 430071, China
4Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430060, China
Received 19 August 2010; Accepted 22 October 2010
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2011 Yang Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Donahoe, G. C. Stewart, C. H. McCabe et al., “Diabetes and mortality following acute coronary syndromes,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 7, pp. 765–775, 2007.
- S. Boudina and E. D. Abel, “Diabetic cardiomyopathy revisited,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 25, pp. 3213–3223, 2007.
- D. Aronson and E. R. Edelman, “Revascularization for coronary artery disease in diabetes mellitus: angioplasty, stents and coronary artery bypass grafting,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 75–86, 2010.
- T. F. Lüscher, M. A. Creager, J. A. Beckman, and F. Cosentino, “Diabetes and vascular disease. Pathophysiology, clinical consequences, and medical therapy: part II,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 13, pp. 1655–1661, 2003.
- J. Herlitz, B. W. Karlson, J. Lindqvist, and M. Sjölin, “Rate and mode of death during five years of follow-up among patients with acute chest pain with and without a history of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 308–314, 1998.
- Z.-Y. Xia, X.-Y. Liu, L.-Y. Zhan, Y.-H. He, T. Luo, and Z. Xia, “Ginsenosides compound (shen-fu) attenuates gastrointestinal injury and inhibits inflammatory response after cardiopulmonary bypass in patients with congenital heart disease,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 258–264, 2005.
- A. A. Bulhak, C. Jung, C.-G. Östenson, J. O. Lundberg, P.-O. Sjoquist, and J. Pernow, “PPAR-α activation protects the type 2 diabetic myocardium against ischemia-reperfusion injury: involvement of the PI3-kinase/Akt and NO pathway,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 296, no. 3, pp. H719–H727, 2009.
- S.-Y. Zheng, J. Sun, X. Zhao, and J.-G. Xu, “Protective effect of Shen-Fu on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 209–220, 2004.
- F. Gao, E. Gao, T.-L. Yue et al., “Nitric oxide mediates the antiapoptotic effect of insulin in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion: the roles of PI3-kinase, Akt, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 1497–1502, 2002.
- L. Ji, F. Fu, L. Zhang et al., “Insulin attenuates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury via reducing oxidative/nitrative stress,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 4, pp. E871–E880, 2010.
- Y.-L. Wang, C.-Y. Wang, B.-J. Zhang, and Z.-Z. Zhang, “Shenfu injection suppresses apoptosis by regulation of Bcl-2 and caspase-3 during hypoxia/reoxygenation in neonatal rat cardiomyocytes in vitro,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 365–370, 2009.
- Y. Zhang, L. Wei, D. Sun et al., “Tanshinone IIA pretreatment protects myocardium against ischaemia/reperfusion injury through the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt-dependent pathway in diabetic rats,” Diabetes, Obesity & Metabolism, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 316–322, 2010.
- P. H. Sugden, “Ras, Akt, and Mechanotransduction in the Cardiac Myocyte,” Circulation Research, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 1179–1192, 2003.
- B. D. Manning and L. C. Cantley, “AKT/PKB signaling: navigating downstream,” Cell, vol. 129, no. 7, pp. 1261–1274, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, J. E. Cho, K. C. Hwang, Y. H. Shim, J. H. Lee, and Y. L. Kwak, “Diabetes mellitus mitigates cardioprotective effects of remifentanil preconditioning in ischemia-reperfused rat heart in association with anti-apoptotic pathways of survival,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 628, no. 1–3, pp. 132–139, 2010.
- E. R. Gross, A. K. Hsu, and G. J. Gross, “Diabetes abolishes morphine-induced cardioprotection via multiple pathways upstream of glycogen synthase kinase-3β,” Diabetes, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 127–136, 2007.
- S. V. Penumathsa, M. Thirunavukkarasu, S. M. Samuel et al., “Niacin bound chromium treatment induces myocardial Glut-4 translocation and caveolar interaction via Akt, AMPK and eNOS phosphorylation in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats after ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1792, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2009.
- R. Schulz, M. Kelm, and G. Heusch, “Nitric oxide in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 402–413, 2004.
- M. Thirunavukkarasu, S. V. Penumathsa, S. Koneru et al., “Resveratrol alleviates cardiac dysfunction in streptozotocin-induced diabetes: role of nitric oxide, thioredoxin, and heme oxygenase,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 720–729, 2007.
- W. Xing, W. Yan, F. Fu et al., “Insulin inhibits myocardial ischemia-induced apoptosis and alleviates chronic adverse changes in post-ischemic cardiac structure and function,” Apoptosis, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1050–1060, 2009.
- H. Takano, S. Manchikalapudi, X.-L. Tang et al., “Nitric oxide synthase is the mediator of late preconditioning against myocardial infarction in conscious rabbits,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 441–449, 1998.
- Y.-M. Kim, C. A. Bombeck, and T. R. Billiar, “Nitric oxide as a bifunctional regulator of apoptosis,” Circulation Research, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 253–256, 1999.
- C.-H. Yeh, Y.-M. Lin, Y.-C. Wu, Y.-C. Wang, and P. J. Lin, “Nitric oxide attenuates cardiomyocytic apoptosis via diminished mitochondrial complex I up-regulation from cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury under cardiopulmonary bypass,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 180–188, 2004.
- A. Das, L. Xi, and R. C. Kukreja, “Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor sildenafil preconditions adult cardiac myocytes against necrosis and apoptosis: essential role of nitric oxide signaling,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 13, pp. 12944–12955, 2005.
- Y.-M. Kim, T.-H. Kim, D.-W. Seol, R. V. Talanian, and T. R. Billiar, “Nitric oxide suppression of apoptosis occurs in association with an inhibition of Bcl-2 cleavage and cytochrome c release,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 47, pp. 31437–31441, 1998.
- J. Raphael, S. Abedat, J. Rivo et al., “Volatile anesthetic preconditioning attenuates myocardial apoptosis in rabbits after regional ischemia and reperfusion via Akt signaling and modulation of Bcl-2 family proteins,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 318, no. 1, pp. 186–194, 2006.
- J. Feng, C. Bianchi, J. L. Sandmeyer, J. Li, and F. W. Sellke, “Molecular indices of apoptosis after intermittent blood and crystalloid cardioplegia,” Circulation, vol. 112, supplement 9, pp. 184–189, 2005.
- C. S. Boyd and E. Cadenas, “Nitric oxide and cell signaling pathways in mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 383, no. 3-4, pp. 411–423, 2002.
- W. C. Earnshaw, L. M. Martins, and S. H. Kaufmann, “Mammalian caspases: structure, activation, substrates, and functions during apoptosis,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 68, pp. 383–424, 1999.
- G. Ma, M. Al-Shabrawey, J. A. Johnson et al., “Protection against myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury by short-term diabetes: enhancement of VEGF formation, capillary density, and activation of cell survival signaling,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 373, no. 6, pp. 415–427, 2006.
- L. R. La Bonte, G. Davis-Gorman, G. L. Stahl, and P. F. McDonagh, “Complement inhibition reduces injury in the type 2 diabetic heart following ischemia and reperfusion,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. H1282–H1290, 2008.
- J. Matejíková, J. Kucharská, D. Pancza, and T. Ravingerová, “The effect of antioxidant treatment and NOS inhibition on the incidence of ischemia-induced arrhythmias in the diabetic rat heart,” Physiological Research, vol. 57, supplement 2, pp. S55–S60, 2008.
- D. Jay, H. Hitomi, and K. K. Griendling, “Oxidative stress and diabetic cardiovascular complications,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 2006.
- F.-F. Gao, Q.-Y. Jia, F.-X. Guo et al., “Egr-1, a central and unifying role in cardioprotection from ischemia-reperfusion injury?” Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 5-6, pp. 519–526, 2009.
- J. Lu, D.-M. Wu, Y.-L. Zheng, B. Hu, and Z.-F. Zhang, “Purple sweet potato color alleviates D-galactose-induced brain aging in old mice by promoting survival of neurons via PI3K pathway and inhibiting cytochrome C-mediated apoptosis,” Brain Pathology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 598–612, 2010.
- Y. Qian, J. Sun, Z. Wang, and J. Yang, “Shen-Fu attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 613–621, 2006.
- X.-J. Zhang, L. Song, Z.-G. Zhou, and X.-M. Wang, “Effect of shenfu injection on gastrointestinal microcirculation in rabbits after myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 27, pp. 4389–4391, 2006.
- W.-H. Zhu, X.-S. Leng, and J.-Y. Zhu, “Effect of Shenfu injection on ischemia-reperfusion injury of rat liver graft,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 205–209, 2006.