- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 457079, 10 pages
Kainic Acid-Induced Neurodegenerative Model: Potentials and Limitations
1Department of Neurosurgery, The First Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
2Department of Neurobiology, Care Science and Society, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE-141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
3Department of Neurology, the First Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun 130021, China
Received 14 September 2010; Accepted 25 October 2010
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2011 Xiang-Yu Zheng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [22 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Maria Concetta Geloso, Valentina Corvino, and Fabrizio Michetti, “Trimethyltin-induced hippocampal degeneration as a tool to investigate neurodegenerative processes,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 729–738, 2011.
- Francine Deprez, Michela Zattoni, Maria Luisa Mura, Karl Frei, and Jean-Marc Fritschy, “Adoptive transfer of T lymphocytes in immunodeficient mice influences epileptogenesis and neurodegeneration in a model of temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 174–184, 2011.
- O. Y. Glushakova, A. Jeromin, J. Martinez, D. Johnson, N. Denslow, J. Streeter, R. L. Hayes, and S. Mondello, “Cerebrospinal Fluid Protein Biomarker Panel for Assessment of Neurotoxicity Induced by Kainic Acid in Rats,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 158–167, 2012.
- Dhanisha J. Jhaveri, Chanel J. Taylor, and Perry F. Bartlett, “Activation of different neural precursor populations in the adult hippocampus: Does this lead to new neurons with discrete functions?,” Developmental Neurobiology, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 1044–1058, 2012.
- Casey M. O'Dell, Arabinda Das, Gerald Wallace, Swapan K. Ray, and Naren L. Banik, “Understanding the basic mechanisms underlying seizures in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy and possible therapeutic targets: A review,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 913–924, 2012.
- Waldemar Szaroma, K. Dziubek, A. Greń, B. Kreczmer, and E. Kapusta, “Influence of the kainic acid on antioxidant status in the brain, liver and kidneys of the mouse,” Acta Physiologica Hungarica, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 447–459, 2012.
- J. Rowles, and M. Olsen, “Perspectives on the development of antioxidant antiepileptogenic agents,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1015–1027, 2012.
- Mitsumasa Fukuda, Hitomi Hino, Yuka Suzuki, Hisaaki Takahashi, Takehiko Morimoto, and Eiichi Ishii, “Postnatal interleukin-1β enhances adulthood seizure susceptibility and neuronal cell death after prolonged experimental febrile seizures in infantile rats,” Acta Neurologica Belgica, 2013.
- Jisoo Park, Kisang Kwon, Seon-Hwan Kim, Min-Hee Yi, Enji Zhang, Gyeyeong Kong, Dong Woon Kim, and Jongsun Park, “Astrocytic phosphorylation of PDK1 on Tyr9 following an excitotoxic lesion in the mouse hippocampus,” Brain Research, 2013.
- Denise Harhausen, Andreas Wunder, Violetta Sudmann, Uldus Khojasteh, Jochen Müller, Marietta Zille, Keith Graham, Andrea Thiele, Thomas Dyrks, and Ulrich Dirnagl, “Specific Imaging of Inflammation with the 18kDa Translocator Protein Ligand DPA-714 in Animal Models of Epilepsy and Stroke,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 8, 2013.
- Rajeev Shrestha, Owain Millington, James Brewer, Kumlesh K. Dev, and Trevor J. Bushell, “Lymphocyte-mediated neuroprotection in in vitro models of excitotoxicity involves astrocytic activation and the inhibition of MAP kinase signalling pathways,” Neuropharmacology, 2013.
- Guodong Xiao, Weidong Hu, and Xuesong Chen, “Magnesium Lithospermate B Protects Neurons from N-Methyl-d-Aspartic Acid Injury and Attenuates Kainic Acid-Induced Neurodegeration in FVB Mice,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, 2013.
- Naredla Kesava Reddy, and Srivari Chandrasekhar, “Total Synthesis of (-)-alpha-Kainic acid via Chirality Transfer through Ireland-Claisen Rearrangement,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 3355–3360, 2013.
- Ricardo Marques, Cláudio J. Maia, Cátia Vaz, Sara Correia, and Sílvia Socorro, “The diverse roles of calcium-binding protein regucalcin in cell biology: from tissue expression and signalling to disease,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 2013.
- V. Corvino, E. Marchese, F. Michetti, and M.C. Geloso, “Neuroprotective strategies in hippocampal neurodegeneration induced by the neurotoxicant trimethyltin,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 240–253, 2013.
- David Gosselin, Marc-André Bellavance, and Serge Rivest, “IL-1RAcPb signaling regulates adaptive mechanisms in neurons that promote their long-term survival following excitotoxic insults,” Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, 2013.
- Rubén Darío Castro-Torres, Verónica Chaparro-Huerta, Mario Eduardo Flores-Soto, Jacinto Bañuelos-Pineda, Antoni Camins, Sandra A. Orozco-Suárez, Juan Armendáriz-Borunda, and Carlos Beas-Zárate, “A Single Dose of Pirfenidone Attenuates Neuronal Loss and Reduces Lipid Peroxidation after Kainic Acid-Induced Excitotoxicity in the Pubescent Rat Hippocampus,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, 2013.
- Stefan Plantman, “Proregenerative Properties of ECM Molecules,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–11, 2013.
- Kenneth L. Pitter, Ilaria Tamagno, Xi Feng, Kaushik Ghosal, Nduka Amankulor, Eric C. Holland, and Dolores Hambardzumyan, “The SHH/Gli pathway is reactivated in reactive glia and drives proliferation in response to neurodegeneration-induced lesions,” Glia, 2014.
- Kentaro Oe, and Yasufumi Ohfune, “Short Total Synthesis of (-)-Kainic Acid,” Organic Letters, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2550–2553, 2014.
- Irene Bolea, Maria Alessandra Colivicchi, Chiara Ballini, José Marco-Contelles, Keith Francis Tipton, Mercedes Unzeta, and Laura Della Corte, “ Neuroprotective Effects of the MAO-B Inhibitor, PF9601N, in an In Vivo Model of Excitotoxicity ,” CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 2014.
- István Koncz, Bernadett K. Szász, Szilárd I. Szabó, János P. Kiss, Árpád Mike, Balázs Lendvai, E. Sylvester Vizi, and Tibor Zelles, “The tricyclic antidepressant desipramine inhibited the neurotoxic, kainate-induced [Ca2+]i increases in CA1 pyramidal cells in acute hippocampal slices,” Brain Research Bulletin, 2014.