- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 464701, 9 pages
Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Model in Rodents: Methods and Potential Pitfalls
1Department of Neuroscience, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
2Department of Neurology, University of Connecticut Health Center and The Stroke Center at Hartford Hospital, 263 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Received 15 September 2010; Revised 23 December 2010; Accepted 23 December 2010
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2011 Fudong Liu and Louise D. McCullough. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [42 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jie Tan, Cheng-yan Li, Tao Li, Qian Zhang, Xiao-mei Yu, and Tian-qi Yuan, “Identification of a rat model of focal cerebral infarction by relative body weights and Bederson's scale scores,” Journal of Clinical Rehabilitative Tissue Engineering Research, vol. 15, no. 37, pp. 6875–6878, 2011.
- Md Nasrul Hoda, Weiguo Li, Ajmal Ahmad, Safia Ogbi, Marina A. Zemskova, Maribeth H. Johnson, Adviye Ergul, William D. Hill, David C. Hess, and Irina Y. Sazonova, “Sex-independent neuroprotection with minocycline after experimental thromboembolic stroke,” Experimental and Translational Stroke Medicine, vol. 3, no. 1, 2011.
- Bharti Manwani, Fudong Liu, Yan Xu, Rebecca Persky, Jun Li, and Louise D. McCullough, “Functional recovery in aging mice after experimental stroke,” Brain Behavior and Immunity, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1689–1700, 2011.
- Ming-He Cheng, Li-Li Lin, Ji-Yong Liu, and Ai-Jun Liu, “The Outcomes of Stroke Induced by Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion in Different Strains of Mice,” CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 794–795, 2012.
- Jing Ma, Cheng Peng, Wei Guo, Ya-Fen Dong, Xiao-Hui Dong, Xin Sun, and He-Hui Xie, “A Modified Model of Middle Cerebral Artery Electrocoagulation in Mice,” CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 796–798, 2012.
- Abraham Martin, Emilie Mace, Raphael Boisgard, Gabriel Montaldo, Benoit Theze, Mickael Tanter, and Bertrand Tavitian, “Imaging of perfusion, angiogenesis, and tissue elasticity after stroke,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1496–1507, 2012.
- Guo-Feng Li, Hai-Kun Luo, Lan-Fang Li, Qing-Zeng Zhang, Li-Jun Xie, Hong Jiang, Li-Ping Li, Na Hao, Wei-Wei Wang, and Jian-Xin Zhang, “Dual effects of hydrogen sulphide on focal cerebral ischaemic injury via modulation of oxidative stress-induced apoptosis,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 765–771, 2012.
- Maria Jose Perez-Alvarez, Maria del Carmen Maza, Marta Anton, Lara Ordonez, and Francisco Wandosell, “Post-ischemic estradiol treatment reduced glial response and triggers distinct cortical and hippocampal signaling in a rat model of cerebral ischemia,” Journal Of Neuroinflammation, vol. 9, 2012.
- Jasenka Mršić-Pelčić, Kristina Pilipović, Goran Pelčić, Dinko Vitezić, and Gordana Župan, “Temporal and regional changes of superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activities in rats exposed to focal cerebral ischemia,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 597–603, 2012.
- Jian-Ren Liu, Johannes Meyne, Yi Zhao, Christoph Eschenfelder, Ulf R. Jensen-Kondering, Jia-Jun Zhou, Fen Sun, Xiao-Yan Feng, Xiao-Lei Shen, Günther Deuschl, Olav Jansen, and Thomas Herdegen, “Transient filament occlusion of the middle cerebral artery in rats: Does the reperfusion method matter 24 hours after perfusion?,” BMC Neuroscience, vol. 13, no. 1, 2012.
- Annette Sterr, and Adriana Bastos Conforto, “Plasticity of Adult Sensorimotor System in Severe Brain Infarcts: Challenges and Opportunities,” Neural Plasticity, vol. 2012, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- Aigang Lu, Yalikun Suofu, Fanglin Guan, Joseph P. Broderick, Kenneth R. Wagner, and Joseph F. Clark, “Matrix metalloproteinase-2 deletions protect against hemorrhagic transformation after 1 hour of cerebral ischemia and 23 hours of reperfusion,” Neuroscience, 2013.
- Ling Guo, Jianfeng Ge, Shan Wang, Ying Zhou, and Xiaoxiao Wang, “A novel method for efficient delivery of stem cells to the ischemic brain,” Stem Cell Research & Therapy, vol. 4, 2013.
- Bharti Manwani, Fudong Liu, Victoria Scranton, Matthew D. Hammond, Lauren H. Sansing, and Louise D. McCullough, “Differential effects of aging and sex on stroke induced inflammation across the lifespan,” Experimental Neurology, 2013.
- Janet L. Funk, Jennifer B. Frye, Grace Davis-Gorman, Allison L. Spera, Michael J. Bernas, Marlys H. Witte, Martin E. Weinand, Barbaba N. Timmermann, Paul F. McDonagh, and Leslie Ritter, “Curcuminoids Limit Neutrophil-Mediated Reperfusion Injury in Experimental Stroke by Targeting the Endothelium,” Microcirculation, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 544–554, 2013.
- Yao Li, Shuping Zhu, Lu Yuan, Hongyang Lu, Hangdao Li, and Shanbao Tong, “Predicting the ischemic infarct volume at the first minute after occlusion in rodent stroke model by laser speckle imaging of cerebral blood flow,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 18, no. 7, 2013.
- Mian Zhou, Christie M. Wang, Weng-Lang Yang, and Ping Wang, “Microglial CD14 activated by iNOS contributes to neuroinflammation in cerebral ischemia,” Brain Research, vol. 1506, pp. 105–114, 2013.
- Edgars Liepinsh, Janis Kuka, and Maija Dambrova, “Troubleshooting digital macro photography for image acquisition and the analysis of biological samples,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 98–106, 2013.
- Bo Chen, Jessica A. Van Winkle, Patrick D. Lyden, Joan H. Brown, and Nicole H. Purcell, “PHLPP1 gene deletion protects the brain from ischemic injury,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 196–204, 2013.
- Kumar Vaibhav, Pallavi Shrivastava, Rizwana Tabassum, Andleeb Khan, Hayate Javed, Md. Ejaz Ahmed, Farah Islam, Mohammed M. Safhi, and Fakhrul Islam, “Delayed administration of zingerone mitigates the behavioral and histological alteration via repression of oxidative stress and intrinsic programmed cell death in focal transient ischemic rats,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 113, pp. 53–62, 2013.
- Zhenyu Hu, Xiling Bian, Xiaoyan Liu, Yuanjun Zhu, Xiaoyi Zhang, Shizhong Chen, Kewei Wang, and Yinye Wang, “Honokiol protects brain against ischemia–reperfusion injury in rats through disrupting PSD95–nNOS interaction,” Brain Research, vol. 1491, pp. 204–212, 2013.
- Abby L. Dotson, Wenbin Zhu, Nicole Libal, Nabil J. Alkayed, and Halina Offner, “Different immunological mechanisms govern protection from experimental stroke in young and older mice with recombinant TCR ligand therapy,” Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2014.
- Saema Ansar, Eva Chatzikonstantinou, Anja Wistuba-Schier, Silvia Mirau-Weber, Marc Fatar, Michael G. Hennerici, and Stephen Meairs, “Characterization of a New Model of Thromboembolic Stroke in C57 black/6J mice,” Translational Stroke Research, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 526–533, 2014.
- Shuangchan Wu, Yuan Yue, Hui Tian, Li Tao, Yuting Wang, Jin Xiang, Shi Wang, and Hong Ding, “Tramiprosate protects neurons against ischemic stroke by disrupting the interaction between PSD95 and nNOS,” Neuropharmacology, 2014.
- Seunghoon Lee, Minkyung Lee, Yunkyung Hong, Jinyoung Won, Youngjeon Lee, Sung-Goo Kang, and Kyu-Tae Chang, “Middle cerebral artery occlusion methods in rat versus mouse models of transient focal cerebral ischemic stroke,” Neural Regeneration Research, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 757–758, 2014.
- Venugopal R. Venna, Jun Li, Matthew D. Hammond, Nickolas S. Mancini, and Louise D. McCullough, “Chronic metformin treatment improves post-stroke angiogenesis and recovery after experimental stroke,” European Journal of Neuroscience, 2014.
- Eiji Nishiyama, Yukitoshi Nishikawa, Takashi Sasamura, Shinji Nakade, Katsumasa Okawa, Tadashi Nagasawa, and Akane Yuki, “A Novel Animal Model of Dysphagia Following Stroke,” Dysphagia, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2014.
- Sebastian Baier, Philipp Kraemer, Saskia Grudzenski, Marc Fatar, Stefan Kirsch, and Lothar R. Schad, “Chlorine and sodium chemical shift imaging during acute stroke in a rat model at 9.4 Tesla,” Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 71–79, 2014.
- Seunghoon Lee, Yunkyung Hong, Sookyoung Park, Sang-Rae Lee, Kyu-Tae Chang, and Yonggeun Hong, “Comparison of Surgical Methods of Transient Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion between Rats and Mice,” Journal Of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 1555–1561, 2014.
- Slavianka Moyanova, and Rick Dijkhuizen, “Present status and future challenges of electroencephalography- and magnetic resonance imaging-based monitoring in preclinical models of focal cerebral ischemia,” Brain Research Bulletin, 2014.
- Ingela Lanekoff, Susan L. Stevens, Mary P. Stenzel-Poore, and Julia Laskin, “Matrix effects in biological mass spectrometry imaging: identification and compensation,” Analyst, vol. 139, no. 14, pp. 3528–3532, 2014.
- Xia-lin Zuo, Hou-liang Deng, Ping Wu, and En Xu, “Do different reperfusion methods affect the outcomes of stroke induced by MCAO in adult rats?,” International Journal of Neuroscience, pp. 1–6, 2015.
- Seema Yousuf, Fahim Atif, Iqbal Sayeed, Huiling Tang, Jun Wang, and Donald G. Stein, “Long-term behavioral deficits and recovery after transient ischemia in middle-aged rats: Effects of behavioral testing,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 251–261, 2015.
- Chiping Wu, Justin Wang, Jessie Peng, Nisarg Patel, Yayi Huang, Xiaoxing Gao, Salman Aljarallah, James H. Eubanks, Robert McDonald, and Liang Zhang, “Modeling early-onset post-ischemic seizures in aging mice,” Experimental Neurology, 2015.
- Qiang Cai, Zhibiao Chen, Derek Kai Kong, Jun Wang, Zhou Xu, Baohui Liu, Qianxue Chen, and Jiangbing Zhou, “Novel microcatheter-based intracarotid delivery approach for MCAO/R mice,” Neuroscience Letters, 2015.
- Mingbao Lin, Wei Sun, Wan Gong, Zhiyu Zhou, Yasi Ding, and Qi Hou, “Methylophiopogonanone A Protects against Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury and Attenuates Blood-Brain Barrier Disruption In Vitro,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 4, 2015.
- Melissa Trotman, Philipp Vermehren, Claire L. Gibson, and Robert Fern, “The dichotomy of memantine treatment for ischemic stroke: dose-dependent protective and detrimental effects,” Journal Of Cerebral Blood Flow And Metabolism, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 230–239, 2015.
- Maria Jose Perez-Alvarez, Laura Mateos, Alvaro Alonso, and Francisco Wandosell, “Estradiol and Progesterone Administration After pMCAO Stimulates the Neurological Recovery and Reduces the Detrimental Effect of Ischemia Mainly in Hi,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 1690–1703, 2015.
- Jorge G. Farías, Emilio A. Herrera, Catalina Carrasco-Pozo, Ramón Sotomayor-Zárate, Gonzalo Cruz, Paola Morales, and Rodrigo L. Castillo, “Pharmacological models and approaches for pathophysiological conditions associated with Hypoxia and Oxidative Stress,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2015.
- Lijian Yang, Xi Chen, Siqi Wang, Yuxiang Fei, Ding Wang, Yunman Li, Guangwei He, Qiang Wu, Shaoxing Chu, and Weirong Fang, “N2 extenuates experimental ischemic stroke through platelet aggregation inhibition,” Thrombosis Research, 2015.
- Ying Y. Jean, and Carol M. Troy, “Caspases: Therapeutic Targets in Neurologic Disease,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2015.
- Jun-Bin Lin, Chan-Juan Zheng, Xuan Zhang, Juan Chen, Wei-Jing Liao, and Qi Wan, “Effects of Tetramethylpyrazine on Functional Recovery and Neuronal Dendritic Plasticity after Experimental Stroke,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.