- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 497841, 13 pages
Animal Models of Cardiovascular Diseases
1Department of Epidemiology, Atherothrombosis and Cardiovascular Imaging, Fundacion Centro Nacional Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III (CNIC), Sinesio Delgado 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
2Renal and Vascular Research Laboratory, IIS-Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Avda Reyes Catolicos 2, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Received 11 October 2010; Revised 4 January 2011; Accepted 17 January 2011
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Carlos Zaragoza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [67 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Diana S. Nascimento, Mariana Valente, Tiago Esteves, Maria de Fátima de Pina, Joana G. Guedes, Ana Freire, Pedro Quelhas, and Perpétua Pinto-do-Ó, “MIQuant - semi-automation of infarct size assessment in models of cardiac ischemic injury,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, 2011.
- Rashmi Ram, Deanne M. Mickelsen, Catherine Theodoropoulos, and Burns C. Blaxall, “New approaches in small animal echocardiography: imaging the sounds of silence,” American Journal Of Physiology-Heart And Circulatory Physiology, vol. 301, no. 5, pp. H1765–H1780, 2011.
- Stephen Tsoi, George R. Foxcroft, Michael K. Dyck, Chi Zhou, Jason R. Grant, J A. Pasternak, John Dobrinsky, Philippe Rigault, Julie Nieminen, Marc-André Sirard, and Claude Robert, “Development of a porcine (Sus scofa) embryo-specific microarray: array annotation and validation,” BMC Genomics, vol. 13, no. 1, 2012.
- Kevin A. Strauss, Erik G. Puffenberger, and D. Holmes Morton, “One Community's Effort to Control Genetic Disease,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 102, no. 7, pp. 1300–1306, 2012.
- W. Kloos, H.A. Katus, and B. Meder, “Genetic cardiomyopathies,” Herz, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 612–618, 2012.
- A Bähr, and E Wolf, “Domestic Animal Models for Biomedical Research,” Reproduction in Domestic Animals, vol. 47, pp. 59–71, 2012.
- Hélène Lemieux, and Blair E. Warren, “An animal model to study human muscular diseases involving mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 503–512, 2012.
- Emily M Plummer, Diane Thomas, Giuseppe Destito, Leah P Shriver, and Marianne Manchester, “Interaction of cowpea mosaic virus nanoparticles with surface vimentin and inflammatory cells in atherosclerotic lesions,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 877–888, 2012.
- Elisardo C. Vasquez, Veronica A. Peotta, Agata L. Gava, Thiago M. C. Pereira, and Silvana S. Meyrelles, “Cardiac and vascular phenotypes in the apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 19, 2012.
- Philipp Stiegler, Michael Sereinigg, Andreas Puntschart, Thomas Seifert-Held, Gerda Zmugg, Iris Wiederstein-Grasser, Wolfgang Marte, Andreas Meinitzer, Tatjana Stojakovic, Michael Zink, Vanessa Stadlbauer, and Karlheinz Tscheliessnigg, “A 10 min “no-touch” time - is it enough in DCD? A DCD Animal Study,” Transplant International, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 481–492, 2012.
- J Ritterhoff, and P Most, “Targeting S100A1 in heart failure,” Gene Therapy, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 613–621, 2012.
- Sharma Prabhakar, “Translational research challenges: Finding the right animal models,” Journal of Investigative Medicine, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 1141–1146, 2012.
- Judee Grace Nemeno-Guanzon, Soojung Lee, Johan Robert Berg, Yong Hwa Jo, Jee Eun Yeo, Bo Mi Nam, Yong-Gon Koh, and Jeong Ik Lee, “Trends in Tissue Engineering for Blood Vessels,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–14, 2012.
- Wolfgang Löscher, Katrin Hoffmann, Friederike Twele, Heidrun Potschka, and Kathrin Töllner, “The novel antiepileptic drug imepitoin compares favourably to other GABA-mimetic drugs in a seizure threshold model in mice and dogs,” Pharmacological Research, 2013.
- Rachael W. Quinn, “Animal Models for Bench to Bedside Translation of Regenerative Cardiac Constructs,” Progress in Pediatric Cardiology, 2013.
- K. Tsukamoto, D. R. Mani, J. Shi, S. Zhang, D. E. Haagensen, F. Otsuka, J. Guan, J. D. Smith, W. Weng, R. Liao, F. D. Kolodgie, R. Virmani, and M. Krieger, “Identification of apolipoprotein D as a cardioprotective gene using a mouse model of lethal atherosclerotic coronary artery disease,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 110, no. 42, pp. 17023–17028, 2013.
- Nicholas T. Befera, Cristian T. Badea, and G. Allan Johnson, “Comparison of 4D-MicroSPECT and MicroCT for Murine Cardiac Function,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, 2013.
- Emanuela Puccinelli, Pier Giovanni Gervasi, Gualtiero Pelosi, Mariarita Puntoni, and Vincenzo Longo, “Modulation of cytochrome P450 enzymes in response to continuous or intermittent high-fat diet in pigs,” Xenobiotica, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 686–698, 2013.
- Martin Rouer, Olivier Meilhac, Sandrine Delbosc, Liliane Louedec, Graciela Pavon-Djavid, Jane Cross, Josette Legagneux, Maxime Bouilliant-Linet, Jean-Baptiste Michel, and Jean-Marc Alsac, “A New Murine Model of Endovascular Aortic Aneurysm Repair,” Jove-Journal Of Visualized Experiments, no. 77, 2013.
- Nassrene Y. Elmadhun, Ashraf A. Sabe, Michael P. Robich, Louis M. Chu, Antonio D. Lassaletta, and Frank W. Sellke, “The pig as a valuable model for testing the effect of resveratrol to prevent cardiovascular disease,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1290, no. 1, pp. 130–135, 2013.
- H. Poser, L. Semplicini, G. M. De Benedictis, G. Gerardi, B. Contiero, N. Maschietto, E. Valerio, O. Milanesi, A. Semplicini, and D. Bernardini, “Two-dimensional, M-mode and Doppler-derived echocardiographic parameters in sedated healthy growing female sheep,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 194–202, 2013.
- Cajetan Lang, Sebastian Lehner, Andrei Todica, Guido Boening, Wolfgang-Michael Franz, Peter Bartenstein, Marcus Hacker, and Robert David, “Positron emission tomography based in-vivo imaging of early phase stem cell retention after intramyocardial delivery in the mouse model,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 2013.
- Shigehiko Katoh, Shintaro Honda, Tetsu Watanabe, Satoshi Suzuki, Mitsunori Ishino, Tatsuro Kitahara, Akira Funayama, Shunsuke Netsu, Toshiki Sasaki, Tetsuro Shishido, Takuya Miyamoto, Mitsuaki Sadahiro, and Isao Kubota, “Atrial endothelial impairment through Toll-like receptor 4 signaling causes atrial thrombogenesis,” Heart and Vessels, 2013.
- Giovanna Grunewald Vietta, Michael Everton Andrades, Rafael Dall’Alba, Stefanie Ingrid Reis Schneider, Luzia Menegoto Frick, Ursula Matte, Andréia Biolo, Luis Eduardo Paim Rohde, and Nadine Clausell, “Early use of cardiac troponin-I and echocardiography imaging for prediction of myocardial infarction size in Wistar rats,” Life Sciences, 2013.
- Ivano Eberini, Robin Wait, Laura Calabresi, Cristina Sensi, Ingrid Miller, and Elisabetta Gianazza, “A proteomic portrait of atherosclerosis,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 82, pp. 92–112, 2013.
- Jessica C. Garbern, Christine L. Mummery, and Richard T. Lee, “Model systems for cardiovascular regenerative biology,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1–17, 2013.
- Sebastián D. Calligaris, Manuel Lecanda, Felipe Solis, Marcelo Ezquer, Jaime Gutiérrez, Enrique Brandan, Andrea Leiva, Luis Sobrevia, and Paulette Conget, “Mice Long-Term High-Fat Diet Feeding Recapitulates Human Cardiovascular Alterations: An Animal Model to Study the Early Phases of Diabetic Cardiomyopathy,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 4, 2013.
- Galina Dragneva, Petra Korpisalo, and Seppo Ylä-Herttuala, “Promoting blood vessel growth in ischemic diseases: Challenges in translating preclinical potential into clinical success,” DMM Disease Models and Mechanisms, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 312–322, 2013.
- Nana Fan, and Liangxue Lai, “Genetically Modified Pig Models for Human Diseases,” Journal of Genetics and Genomics, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 67–73, 2013.
- Joanna Mikolajczyk-Stecyna, Aleksandra Korcz, Marcin Gabriel, Katarzyna Pawlaczyk, Grzegorz Oszkinis, and Ryszard Slomski, “Risk factors in abdominal aortic aneurysm and in Polish population aortoiliac occlusive disease and differences between them,” Scientific Reports, vol. 3, 2013.
- S. Garrido-Urbani, M. Meguenani, F. Montecucco, and B. A. Imhof, “Immunological aspects of atherosclerosis,” Seminars in Immunopathology, 2013.
- Ewa C. S. Ellis, Scott Nauglers, Paolo Parini, Lisa-Mari Mork, Carl Jorns, Helen Zemack, Anita Lovgren Sandblom, Ingemar Bjorkhem, Bo-Goran Ericzon, Elizabeth M. Wilson, Stephen C. Strom, and Markus Grompe, “Mice with Chimeric Livers Are an Improved Model for Human Lipoprotein Metabolism,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Anne Mette Fisker Hag, Rasmus Sejersten Ripa, Sune Folke Pedersen, Rasmus Poul Bodholdt, and Andreas Kjaer, “ Small animal positron emission tomography imaging and in vivo studies of atherosclerosis ,” Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 173–185, 2013.
- Yong Wang, Chun Li, Wenjing Chuo, Zhongyang Liu, Yulin Ouyang, Dong Li, Jing Han, Yan Wu, Shuzhen Guo, and Wei Wang, “Integrated proteomic and metabolomic analysis reveals the NADH-mediated TCA cycle and energy metabolism disorders based on a new model of chronic progressive heart failure,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 3135, 2013.
- Chih-Pei Lin, Feng-Yen Lin, Po-Hsun Huang, Yuh-Lien Chen, Wen-Chi Chen, Huey-Yi Chen, Yu-Chuen Huang, Wen-Ling Liao, Huey-Chun Huang, Po-Len Liu, and Yung-Hsiang Chen, “Endothelial Progenitor Cell Dysfunction in Cardiovascular Diseases: Role of Reactive Oxygen Species and Inflammation,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- Kyung-Seob Lim, Myung-Ho Jeong, Jong-Eun Park, In-Ho Bae, Dae-Sung Park, Jong-Min Kim, Jung-Ha Kim, Doo-Sun Sim, Keun-Ho Park, Young-Joon Hong, and Youngkeun Ahn, “Single coronary artery originating from the right aortic sinus without a left anterior descending and circumflex artery in conventional swine,” Laboratory Animal Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 226, 2013.
- Jun-Feng Liu, Zhong-Dong Du, Zhi Chen, and Zhi-Xu He, “Whole bone marrow cell culture: A convenient protocol for the in vitro expansion of endothelial progenitor cells,” Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 805–812, 2014.
- Xianyou Wang, Feng Wang, Nana Li, Min Hu, Yun Chen, and Mengqun Tan, “The effects of endothelial progenitor cells on rat atherosclerosis,” Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 2014.
- Amalia Forte, Barbara Rinaldi, Liberato Berrino, Francesco Rossi, Umberto Galderisi, and Marilena Cipollaro, “Novel potential targets for prevention of arterial restenosis: insights from the pre-clinical research,” Clinical Science, vol. 127, no. 11, pp. 615–634, 2014.
- Pingping Jiang, and Per Torp Sangild, “Intestinal proteomics in pig models of necrotising enterocolitis, short bowel syndrome and intrauterine growth restriction,” PROTEOMICS - Clinical Applications, 2014.
- M.K. Dyck, C. Zhou, S. Tsoi, J. Grant, W.T. Dixon, and G.R. Foxcroft, “Reproductive technologies and the porcine embryonic transcriptome,” Animal Reproduction Science, 2014.
- Fianne L. P. Sips, Christian A. Tiemann, Maaike H. Oosterveer, Albert K. Groen, Peter A. J. Hilbers, and Natal A. W. van Riel, “A Computational Model for the Analysis of Lipoprotein Distributions in the Mouse: Translating FPLC Profiles to Lipoprotein Metabolism,” Plos Computational Biology, vol. 10, no. 5, 2014.
- Oren Gordon, Zhiheng He, Dan Gilon, Sabine Gruener, Sherrie Pietranico-Cole, Amit Oppenheim, and Eli Keshet, “A Transgenic Platform for Testing Drugs Intended for Reversal of Cardiac Remodeling Identifies a Novel 11 beta HSD1 Inhibitor Rescuing Hypertrophy Independently of Re-Vascularization,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 3, 2014.
- B. A. Naaijkens, A. Dijk, O. Kamp, P. A. J. Krijnen, H. W. M. Niessen, and L. J. M. Juffermans, “Therapeutic Application of Adipose Derived Stem Cells in Acute Myocardial Infarction: Lessons from Animal Models,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, 2014.
- Andrea Zaniboni, Chiara Bernardini, Marco Alessandri, Chiara Mangano, Augusta Zannoni, Francesca Bianchi, Giuseppe Sarli, Laura Calza, Maria Laura Bacci, and Monica Forni, “Cells derived from porcine aorta tunica media show mesenchymal stromal-like cell properties in in vitro culture,” American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology, vol. 306, no. 4, pp. C322–C333, 2014.
- Lili Zhao, Gongshe Yang, and Xin Zhao, “Rho-Associated Protein Kinases Play an Important Role in the Differentiation of Rat Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells into Cardiomyocytes In Vitro,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 12, 2014.
- Giovanni Donato Aquaro, and Luca Menichetti, “Hyperpolarized 13C-Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy Are We Ready for Metabolic Imaging?,” Circulation-Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 854–856, 2014.
- Nicole Di Lascio, Francesco Stea, Claudia Kusmic, Rosa Sicari, and Francesco Faita, “Non-invasive assessment of pulse wave velocity in mice by means of ultrasound images,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 237, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2014.
- Jie Rong, Jing Han, Lu Dong, Yanhong Tan, Huaqian Yang, Lianshun Feng, Qi-Wei Wang, Rong Meng, Jing Zhao, Shi-Qiang Wang, and Xing Chen, “Glycan Imaging in Intact Rat Hearts and Glycoproteomic Analysis Reveal the Upregulation of Sialylation during Cardiac Hypertrophy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, pp. 141014152330000, 2014.
- S. Lecour, H. E. Botker, G. Condorelli, S. M. Davidson, D. Garcia-Dorado, F. B. Engel, P. Ferdinandy, G. Heusch, R. Madonna, M. Ovize, M. Ruiz-Meana, R. Schulz, J. P. G. Sluijter, L. W. Van Laake, D. M. Yellon, and D. J. Hausenloy, “ESC Working Group Cellular Biology of the Heart: Position Paper: improving the preclinical assessment of novel cardioprotective therapies,” Cardiovascular Research, 2014.
- Siqin Zhaorigetu, Cristian Rodriguez-Aguayo, Anil K. Sood, Gabriel Lopez-Berestein, and Brian L. Walton, “Delivery of negatively charged liposomes into the atherosclerotic plaque of apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse aortic tissue,” Journal of Liposome Research, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- Ingrid Miller, Claire Rogel-Gaillard, Domenico Spina, Luca Fontanesi, and Andre M. de Almeida, “The Rabbit as an Experimental and Production Animal: From Genomics to Proteomics,” Current Protein & Peptide Science, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 134–145, 2014.
- Yifei Li, Jie Fang, Yimin Hua, Chuan Wang, Dezhi Mu, and Kaiyu Zhou, “The Study of Fetal Rat Model of Intra-Amniotic Isoproterenol Injection Induced Heart Dysfunction and Phenotypic Switch of Contractile Proteins,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- G. Botelho, C. Bernardini, A. Zannoni, V. Ventrella, M.L. Bacci, and M. Forni, “Effect of tributyltin on mammalian endothelial cell integrity,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part C: Toxicology & Pharmacology, 2015.
- Sietse Jan Koopmans, and Teun Schuurman, “Considerations on pig models for appetite, metabolic syndrome and obese type 2 diabetes: From food intake to metabolic disease,” European Journal Of Pharmacology, vol. 759, pp. 231–239, 2015.
- K. Y. DeLeon-Pennell, and M. L. Lindsey, “Cardiac aging: Send in the vinculin reinforcements,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 7, no. 292, pp. 292fs26–292fs26, 2015.
- Ryan M Jamiolkowski, Sa Do Kang, AnnMarie K Rodriguez, Justin M Haseltine, Lauren J Galinat, Alexandra E Jantzen, Tim A Carlon, Marcus D Darrabie, Antonio J Arciniegas, Jose G Mantilla, N Rebecca Haley, Maria Noviani, Jason D Allen, Thomas V Stabler, James W Frederiksen, Oscar Alzate, Lukas G Keil, Siyao Liu, Fu-Hsiung Lin, George A Truskey, and Hardean E Achneck, “Increased yield of endothelial cells from peripheral blood for cell therapies and tissue engineering,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 447–460, 2015.
- Petronella A. van Ewijk, Vera B. Schrauwen-Hinderling, Sebastiaan C. A. M. Bekkers, Jan F. C. Glatz, Joachim E. Wildberger, and M. Eline Kooi, “MRS: a noninvasive window into cardiac metabolism,” NMR in Biomedicine, 2015.
- Christoph D. Rau, Aldons J. Lusis, and Yibin Wang, “Genetics of common forms of heart failure,” Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 222–227, 2015.
- Anna Skorska, Stephan von Haehling, Marion Ludwig, Cornelia A. Lux, Ralf Gaebel, Gabriela Kleiner, Christian Klopsch, Jun Dong, Caterina Curato, Wassim Altarche-Xifró, Svetlana Slavic, Thomas Unger, Gustav Steinhoff, Jun Li, and Robert David, “ The CD4 + AT2R + T cell subpopulation improves post-infarction remodelling and restores cardiac function ,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 2015.
- Nivedita K. Naresh, Xiao Chen, Rene J. Roy, Patrick F. Antkowiak, Brian H. Annex, and Frederick H. Epstein, “Accelerated Dual-Contrast First-Pass Perfusion MRI of the Mouse Heart: Development and Application to Diet-Induced Obese Mice,” Magnetic Resonance In Medicine, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 1237–1245, 2015.
- Juliane Radtke, Alexandra Schutkowski, Corinna Brandsch, Frank Hirche, Katrin Hasenkopf, and Gabriele I. Stangl, “Isolated Conglutin γ from Lupin, but not Phytate, Lowers Serum Cholesterol Without Influencing Vascular Lesion Development in the ApoE-deficient Mouse Model,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, 2015.
- Olivia C. Coiado, Elaine B. Buiochi, and William D. O'Brien, “Ultrasound-Induced Heart Rate Decrease: Role of the Vagus Nerve,” Ieee Transactions On Ultrasonics Ferroelectrics And Frequency Control, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 329–336, 2015.
- Young Sun Yoo, Hyung Sub Park, Geum Hee Choi, and Taeseung Lee, “Recent Advances in the Development of Experimental Animal Models Mimicking Human Aortic Aneurysms,” Vascular Specialist International, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1, 2015.
- Zienab A Gouda, Yaser Hosny Ali Elewa, and Assmaa O Selim, “Histological architecture of cardiac myofibers composing the left ventricle of murine heart,” Journal of Histology and Histopathology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 2, 2015.
- Yunlong Hou, Juan M. Adrian-Segarra, Manfred Richter, Natalia Kubin, Jaeyoung Shin, Isabella Werner, Thomas Walther, Markus Schönburg, Jochen Pöling, Henning Warnecke, Thomas Braun, Sawa Kostin, and Thomas Kubin, “Animal Models and “Omics” Technologies for Identification of Novel Biomarkers and Drug Targets to Prevent Heart Failure,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Md. Abu Taher Sagor, Nabila Tabassum, Md. Abdullah Potol, and Md. Ashraful Alam, “Xanthine Oxidase Inhibitor, Allopurinol, Prevented Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Myocardial Damage in Isoproterenol Induced Aged Rats,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–9, 2015.