- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 707985, 11 pages
Experimental Model of Zymosan-Induced Arthritis in the Rat Temporomandibular Joint: Role of Nitric Oxide and Neutrophils
1Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Ceará, Sobral Campus, Avenida Comandante Maurocélio Rocha Pontes, 100 Derby, 62042-280 Sobral, CE, Brazil
2Faculty of Medicine of Sobral , Federal University of Ceará, Sobral Campus, Avenida Comandante Maurocélio Rocha Pontes, 100 Derby, 62042-280 Sobral, CE, Brazil
3Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceará, Rua Coronel Nunes Valente, 1315 Rodolfo Teófilo, 60430-270 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
4Department of Morphology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Ceará, Rua Delmiro de Farias, Porangabussu, 60440-261 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Received 15 September 2010; Revised 2 December 2010; Accepted 9 December 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Hellíada Vasconcelos Chaves et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. E. Cairns, “Pathophysiology of TMD pain—basic mechanisms and their implications for pharmacotherapy,” Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 391–410, 2010.
- J. G. Broton and B. J. Sessle, “Reflex excitation of masticatory muscles induced by algesic chemicals applied to the temporomandibular joint of the cat,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 741–747, 1988.
- D. A. Haas, O. Nakanishi, R. E. MacMillan, R. C. Jordan, and J. W. Hu, “Development of an orofacial model of acute inflammation in the rat,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 417–422, 1992.
- X. M. Yu, B. J. Sessle, H. Vernon, and J. W. Hu, “Effects of inflammatory irritant application to the rat temporomandibular joint on jaw and neck muscle activity,” Pain, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 143–149, 1995.
- J. Carleson, P. Alstergren, A. Appelgren, B. Appelgren, S. Kopp, E. Theodorsson, and T. Lundeberg, “A model for experimental induction of acute temporomandibular joint inflammation in rats: effects of substance P(SP) on neuropeptide-like immunoreactivity,” Life Sciences, vol. 59, no. 15, pp. 1193–1201, 1996.
- J. Carleson, P. Alstergren, and P. Alstergren, “Effects of adjuvant on neuropeptide-like immunoreactivity in experimentally induced temporomandibular arthritis in rats,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 705–712, 1996.
- J. Carleson, P. Alstergren, A. Appelgren, B. Appelgren, S. Kopp, E. Theodorsson, and T. Lundeberg, “A model for the study of experimentally induced temporomandibular arthritis in rats: the effect of human recombinant interleukin-1α on neuropeptide-like immunoreactivity,” Journal of Orofacial Pain, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 1996.
- Y. Kowai, E. Kubota, and E. Okabe, “Reactive oxygen species participation in experimentally induced arthritis of the temporomandibular joint in rats,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 1489–1495, 2000.
- P. M. Fiorentino, B. E. Cairns, and J. W. Hu, “Development of inflammation after application of mustard oil or glutamate to the rat temporomandibular joint,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1999.
- K. Tominaga, P. Alstergren, H. Kurita, and S. Kopp, “Clinical course of an antigen-induced arthritis model in the rabbit temporomandibular joint,” Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 268–273, 1999.
- K. Ren, “An improved method for assessing mechanical allodynia in the rat,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 711–716, 1999.
- R. P. Harper, C. A. Kerins, and C. A. Kerins, “Meal pattern analysis in response to temporomandibular joint inflammation in the rat,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 1704–1711, 2000.
- R. C. Roveroni, C. A. Parada, M. Cecília, F. A. Veiga, and C. H. Tambeli, “Development of a behavioral model of TMJ pain in rats: the TMJ formalin test,” Pain, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 185–191, 2001.
- M. L. Tang, D. A. Haas, and J. W. Hu, “Capsaicin-induced joint inflammation is not blocked by local anesthesia,” Anesthesia Progress, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 2–9, 2004.
- T. Lundeberg, P. Alstergren, A. Appelgren, B. Appelgren, J. Carleson, S. Kopp, and E. Theodorsson, “A model for experimentally induced temperomandibular joint arthritis in rats: effects of carrageenan on neuropeptide-like immunoreactivity,” Neuropeptides, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 1996.
- Y. Takeuchi, J. L. Zeredo, R. Fujiyama, T. Amagasa, and K. Toda, “Effects of experimentally induced inflammation on temporomandibular joint nociceptors in rats,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 354, no. 2, pp. 172–174, 2004.
- A. Denadai-Souza, L. D. L. Camargo, M. T. C. P. Ribela, J. E. Keeble, S. K. P. Costa, and M. N. Muscará, “Participation of peripheral tachykinin NK receptors in the carrageenan-induced inflammation of the rat temporomandibular joint,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 812–819, 2009.
- E. C. Keystone, H. U. Schorlemmer, C. Pope, and A. C. Allison, “Zymosan-induced arthritis: a model of chronic proliferative arthritis following activation of the alternative pathway of complement,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1396–1401, 1977.
- P. Gegout, P. Gillet, D. Chevrier, C. Guingamp, B. Terlain, and P. Netter, “Charactertzation of zymosan-induced arthritis in the rat: effects on joint inflammation and cartilage metabolism,” Life Sciences, vol. 55, no. 17, pp. 321–326, 1994.
- F. A. C. Rocha, A. G. M. Aragao Jr., R. C. Oliveira, M. M. L. Pompeu, M. R. Vale, and R. A. Ribeiro, “Periarthritis promotes gait disturbance in zymosan-induced arthritis in rats,” Inflammation Research, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 485–490, 1999.
- S. Moncada, R. M. J. Palmer, and E. A. Higgs, “Nitric oxide: physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 109–142, 1991.
- H. Homma, T. Takahashi, H. Seki, M. Ohtani, T. Kondoh, and M. Fukuda, “Immunohistochemical localization of inducible nitric oxide synthase in synovial tissue of human temporomandibular joints with internal derangement,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 2001.
- S. A. Tesser-Viscaíno, A. Denadai-Souza, and A. Denadai-Souza, “Putative antinociceptive action of nitric oxide in the caudal part of the spinal trigeminal nucleus during chronic carrageenan-induced arthritis in the rat temporomandibular joint,” Brain Research, vol. 1302, pp. 85–96, 2009.
- M. M. Bezerra, S. D. Brain, S. Greenacre, S. M. Bezerra Jerônimo, L. B. De Melo, J. Keeble, and F. A. Castro Da Rocha, “Reactive nitrogen species scavenging, rather than nitric oxide inhibition, protects from articular cartilage damage in rat zymosan-induced arthritis,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 172–182, 2004.
- S. M. Wahl, N. McCartney-Francis, J. Chan, R. Dionne, L. Ta, and J. M. Orenstein, “Nitric oxide in experimental joint inflammation: benefit or detriment?” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 174, no. 1-2, pp. 26–33, 2003.
- C. L. Kwan, J. W. Hu, and B. J. Sessle, “Neuroplastic effects of neonatal capsaicin on neurons in adult rat trigeminal nucleus principalis and subnucleus oralis,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 298–310, 1996.
- P. P. Bradley, R. D. Christensen, and G. Rothstein, “Cellular and extracellular myeloperoxidase in pyogenic inflammation,” Blood, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 618–622, 1982.
- G. Vaudo, S. Marchesi, and S. Marchesi, “Endothelial dysfunction in young patients with rheumatoid arthritis and low disease activity,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 31–35, 2004.
- D. M. Yaillen, P. A. Shapiro, E. S. Luschei, and G. R. Feldman, “Temporomandibular joint meniscectomy: effects of joint structure and masticatory function in Macaca fascicularis,” Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 255–264, 1979.
- E. Helmy, R. Bays, and M. Sharawy, “Osteoarthrosis of the temporomandibular joint following experimental disc perforation in Macaca fascicularis,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 979–990, 1988.
- J. I. Ishimaru and A. N. Goss, “A model for osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1191–1195, 1992.
- C. Lekkas, “Experimental degenerative temporomandibular joint disease,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 423–424, 1994.
- H. Imai, I. Sakamoto, T. Yoda, and Y. Yamashita, “A model for internal derangement and osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint with experimental traction of the mandibular ramus in rabbit,” Oral Diseases, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 185–191, 2001.
- A. F. Al-Mobireek, A. M. G. Darwazeh, and M. B. Hassanin, “Experimental induction of rheumatoid arthritis in temporomandibular joint of the guinea pig: a clinical and radiographic study,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 286–290, 2000.
- T. Zamma, “Adjuvant-induced arthritis in the temporomandibular joint of rats,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1291–1299, 1983.
- K. Gado and G. Gigler, “Zymosan inflammation: a new method suitable for evaluating new antiinflammatory drugs,” Agents and Actions, vol. 32, no. 1-2, pp. 119–121, 1991.
- M. M. Bezerra, S. D. Brain, V. C. C. Girão, S. Greenacre, J. Keeble, and F. A. C. Rocha, “Neutrophils-derived peroxynitrite contributes to acute hyperalgesia and cell influx in zymosan arthritis,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 374, no. 4, pp. 265–273, 2007.
- L. S. Gazda, E. D. Milligan, and E. D. Milligan, “Sciatic inflammatory neuritis (SIN): behavioral allodynia is paralleled by peri-sciatic proinflammatory cytokine and superoxide production,” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 111–129, 2001.
- A. C. Goulart, F. A. Correia, S. C. Sousa, and J. G. Luz, “Study of the inflammatory process induced by injection of carrageenan or formalin in the rat temporomandibular joint,” Pesquisa Odontológica Brasileira, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2005.
- S. Fujita and K. Hoshino, “Histochemical and immunohistochemical studies on the articular disk of the temporomandibular joint in rats,” Acta Anatomica, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 1989.
- S. H. Ferreira, I. D. G. Duarte, and B. B. Lorenzetti, “The molecular mechanism of action of peripheral morphine analgesia: stimulation of the cGMP system via nitric oxide release,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 121–122, 1991.
- H. Holthusen and J. O. Arndt, “Nitric oxide evokes pain in humans on intracutaneous injection,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 165, no. 1-2, pp. 71–74, 1994.
- A. M. Sousa and W. A. Prado, “The dual effect of a nitric oxide donor in nociception,” Brain Research, vol. 897, no. 1-2, pp. 9–19, 2001.
- J. C. D. S. Rocha, M. E. B. Peixoto, S. Jancar, F. D. Q. Cunha, R. D. A. Ribeiro, and F. A. C. Da Rocha, “Dual effect of nitric oxide in articular inflammatory pain in zymosan-induced arthritis in rats,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 588–596, 2002.
- K. F. Masuda, T. Yamaza, and T. Yamaza, “Distribution of inducible nitric oxide synthase, interleukin-1β, and interleukin-1 receptor in the temporomandibular joint of normal rats,” Acta Histochemica et Cytochemica, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2002.