- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 758736, 11 pages
Bovine Model of Doxorubicin-Induced Cardiomyopathy
1MD/PhD Program, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
2Cardiovascular Innovation Institute, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
3Department of Medicine, Institute of Molecular Cardiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
4Department of Bioengineering, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40208, USA
5Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
6Robley Rex VAMC, Louisville, KY 40206, USA
Received 25 August 2010; Revised 29 October 2010; Accepted 16 November 2010
Academic Editor: Andrea Vecchione
Copyright © 2011 Carlo R. Bartoli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Dixon and F. G. Spinale, “Large animal models of heart failure: a critical link in the translation of basic science to clinical practice,” Circulation: Heart Failure, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 262–271, 2009.
- W. M. Yarbrough and F. G. Spinale, “Large animal models of congestive heart failure: a critical step in translating basic observations into clinical applications,” Journal of Nuclear Cardiology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 77–86, 2003.
- E. Bertho and G. A. Gagnon, “A comparative study in three dimension of the blood supply of the normal interventricular septum in human, canine, bovine, porcine, ovine and equine heart,” Diseases of the Chest, vol. 46, pp. 251–262, 1964.
- D. Burkhoff, S. Klotz, and D. M. Mancini, “LVAD-induced reverse remodeling: basic and clinical implications for myocardial recovery,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 227–239, 2006.
- E. J. Birks, P. D. Tansley, J. Hardy et al., “Left ventricular assist device and drug therapy for the reversal of heart failure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 18, pp. 1873–1884, 2006.
- M. A. Simon, R. L. Kormos, S. Murali et al., “Myocardial recovery using ventricular assist devices: prevalence, clinical characteristics, and outcomes,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. I32–I36, 2005.
- A. H. Goldstein, G. Monreal, A. Kambara et al., “Partial support with a centrifugal left ventricular assist device reduces myocardial oxygen consumption in chronic, ischemic heart failure,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 142–151, 2005.
- A. Moritz, L. K. Fujimoto, G. Wollenek et al., “Sustained heart failure induced by repeated microsphere injections for left ventricular assist device testing,” ASAIO Transactions, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 455–458, 1989.
- K. Eya, E. Tuzun, J. Conger et al., “Effect of pump flow mode of novel left ventricular assist device upon end organ perfusion in dogs with doxorubicin induced heart failure,” ASAIO Journal, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2005.
- N. Borenstein, P. Bruneval, L. Behr et al., “An ovine model of chronic heart failure: echocardiographic and tissue doppler imaging characterization,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 50–56, 2006.
- V. S. Chekanov, “A stable model of chronic bilateral ventricular insufficiency (dilated cardiomyopathy) induced by arteriovenous anastomosis and doxorubicin administration in sheep,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 198–199, 1999.
- J. A. Magovern, I. Y. Christlieb, S. F. Badylak, G. C. Lantz, and R. L. Kao, “A model of left ventricular dysfunction caused by intracoronary adriamycin,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 861–863, 1992.
- H. R. Shah, M. Vaynblat, G. Ramdev, J. N. Cunningham, and M. Chiavarelli, “Experimental cardiomyopathy as a model of chronic heart failure,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 387–396, 1997.
- C. W. Tomlinson, G. M. McGrath, and J. H. McNeill, “Adriamycin cardiomyopathy: pathological and membrane functional changes in a canine model with mild impairment of left ventricular function,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 368–374, 1986.
- E. Monnet and E. C. Orton, “A canine model of heart failure by intracoronary Adriamycin injection: hemodynamic and energetic results,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 255–264, 1999.
- L. I. Astra, R. Hammond, K. Tarakji, and L. W. Stephenson, “Doxorubicin-induced canine CHF: advantages and disadvantages,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 301–306, 2003.
- Y. Toyoda, M. Okada, and M. A. Kashem, “A canine model of dilated cardiomyopathy induced by repetitive intracoronary doxorubicin administration,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 1367–1373, 1998.
- C. R. Bartoli, G. C. Wilson, G. A. Giridharan et al., “A novel subcutaneous counterpulsation device: acute hemodynamic efficacy during pharmacologically induced hypertension, hypotension, and heart failure,” Artificial Organs, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 537–545, 2010.
- G. Devlin, K. Matthews, G. McCracken et al., “An ovine model of chronic stable heart failure,” Journal of Cardiac Failure, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 140–143, 2000.
- C. R. Bartoli, K. Okabe, I. Akiyama, B. Coull, and J. J. Godleski, “Repeat microsphere delivery for serial measurement of regional blood perfusion in the chronically instrumented, conscious canine,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 135–141, 2008.
- S. L. Hale, K. J. Alker, and R. A. Kloner, “Evaluation of nonradioactive, colored microspheres for measurement of regional myocardial blood flow in dogs,” Circulation, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 428–434, 1988.
- S. C. Koenig, C. Woolard, G. Drew et al., “Integrated data acquisition system for medical device testing and physiology research in compliance with good laboratory practices,” Biomedical Instrumentation and Technology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 229–240, 2004.
- T. Hamid, Y. Gu, R. V. Ortines et al., “Divergent tumor necrosis factor receptor-related remodeling responses in heart failure:Role of nuclear factor-κB and inflammatory activation,” Circulation, vol. 119, no. 10, pp. 1386–1397, 2009.
- G. Wang, T. Hamid, R. J. Keith et al., “Cardioprotective and antiapoptotic effects of heme oxygenase-1 in the failing heart,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 17, pp. 1912–1925, 2010.
- T. Hamid, S. Z. Guo, J. R. Kingery, X. Xiang, B. Dawn, and S. D. Prabhu, “Cardiomyocyte NF-κ p65 promotes adverse remodelling, apoptosis, and endoplasmic reticulum stress in heart failure,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 88, no. 3, 2010.
- M. Jessup and S. Brozena, “Heart failure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 20, pp. 2007–2018, 2003.
- G. Takemura and H. Fujiwara, “Doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy from the cardiotoxic mechanisms to management,” Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 330–352, 2007.
- K. L. Thompson, B. A. Rosenzweig, J. Zhang et al., “Early alterations in heart gene expression profiles associated with doxorubicin cardiotoxicity in rats,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, pp. 1–12, 2009.
- S. Wu, YU. S. Ko, M. S. Teng et al., “Adriamycin-induced cardiomyocyte and endothelial cell apoptosis: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1595–1607, 2002.
- J. H. Doroshow, G. Y. Locker, and C. E. Myers, “Enzymatic defenses of the mouse heart against reactive oxygen metabolites. Alterations produced by doxorubicin,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 128–135, 1980.
- E. Monnet and J. C. Chachques, “Animal models of heart failure: what is new?” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1445–1453, 2005.
- I. D. Gregoric, D. Tamez, M. N. Karabulut et al., “Aortic valve implantation in the calf: a successful approach using heartport® cannulation and minimally invasive techniques,” Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 675–680, 2001.
- H. K. Chee, E. Tuzun, M. Ferrari et al., “Baseline hemodynamic and echocardiographic indices in anesthetized calves,” ASAIO Journal, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 267–271, 2004.
- H. C. Lin, J. C. Thurmon, W. J. Tranquilli, G. J. Benson, and W. A. Olson, “Hemodynamic response of calves to tiletamine-zolazepam-xylazine anesthesia,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1606–1610, 1991.
- G. D. Hallowell, T. J. Potter, and I. M. Bowen, “Methods and normal values for echocardiography in adult dairy cattle,” Journal of Veterinary Cardiology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 91–98, 2007.
- R. B. Wanless, I. S. Anand, J. Gurden, P. Harris, and P. A. Poole-Wilson, “Regional blood flow and hemodynamics in the rabbit with adriamycin cardiomyopathy: effects of isosorbide dinitrate, dobutamine and captopril,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 243, no. 3, pp. 1101–1106, 1987.
- S. D. Prabhu, “Post-infarction ventricular remodeling: an array of molecular events,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 547–550, 2005.
- A. Goetzenich, N. Hatam, A. Zernecke et al., “Alteration of matrix metalloproteinases in selective left ventricular adriamycin-induced cardiomyopathy in the pig,” Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1087–1093, 2009.
- A. Muszyńska, S. Wo, and J. Pa, “The mechanism for anthracycline-induced inhibition of collagen biosynthesis,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 411, no. 1-2, pp. 17–25, 2001.
- J. B. Caulfield and V. Bittner, “Cardiac matrix alterations induced by adriamycin,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 298–305, 1988.