- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 761593, 9 pages
Collagen-Based Films Containing Liposome-Loaded Usnic Acid as Dressing for Dermal Burn Healing
1Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sergipe, Avenida Marechal Rondon, s/n, Cidade Universitária, CEP 49100-000, São Cristóvão, SE, Brazil
2Programa de Pós-Graduação em Saúde e Ambiente-Universidade Tiradentes, SE, Avenida Murilo Dantas, 300, CEP 49032-490, SE, Brazil
Received 8 June 2010; Revised 30 August 2010; Accepted 22 October 2010
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2011 Paula S. Nunes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Alemdaroǧlu, Z. Deǧim, N. Çelebi, F. Zor, S. Öztürk, and D. Erdoǧan, “An investigation on burn wound healing in rats with chitosan gel formulation containing epidermal growth factor,” Burns, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 319–327, 2006.
- S. V. Hosseini, N. Tanideh, J. Kohanteb, Z. Ghodrati, D. Mehrabani, and H. Yarmohammadi, “Comparison between Alpha and Silver Sulfadiazine ointments in treatment of Pseudomonas infections in 3rd degree burns,” International Journal of Surgery, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 23–26, 2007.
- S. Aoyagi, H. Onishi, and Y. Machida, “Novel chitosan wound dressing loaded with minocycline for the treatment of severe burn wounds,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 330, no. 1-2, pp. 138–145, 2007.
- R. C. G. Girardi, Comportamento de matrizes de colágeno utilizadas no tratamento de feridas planas induzidas em pele de rato, dissertação, Universidade de São Carlos, São Paulo, Brazil, 2005.
- S. Mali, M. V. E. Grossmann, M. A. García, M. N. Martino, and N. E. Zaritzky, “Effects of controlled storage on thermal, mechanical and barrier properties of plasticized films from different starch sources,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 453–460, 2006.
- D. Gopinath, M. R. Ahmed, K. Gomathi, K. Chitra, P. K. Sehgal, and R. Jayakumar, “Dermal wound healing processes with curcumin incorporated collagen films,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1911–1917, 2004.
- C. Helary, L. Ovtracht, B. Coulomb, G. Godeau, and M. M. Giraud-Guille, “Dense fibrillar collagen matrices: a model to study myofibroblast behaviour during wound healing,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 25, pp. 4443–4452, 2006.
- W. Friess, “Collagen—biomaterial for drug delivery,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 113–136, 1998.
- J. B. Stark, E. D. Walter, and H. S. Owens, “Method of isolation of usnic acid from Ramalina reticulata,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1819–1820, 1950.
- S. Huneck and K. Schreiber, “Wachstumsregulatorische eigenschaften von flechten-und moos-inhaltsstoffen,” Phytochemistry, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 2429–2434, 1972.
- M. A. Bazin, A. C. L. Lamer, and A. C. L. Lamer, “Synthesis and cytotoxic activities of usnic acid derivatives,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 6860–6866, 2008.
- R. R. Bomfim, A. A. S. Araújo, S. Cuadros-Orellana, S. Melo, M. G. D. Kundu, L. J. Quintans-Júnior, and S. C. H. Cavalcante, “Larvicidal Activity of Cladonia substellata Extract and Usnic Acid against Aedes aegypti and Artemia salina,” Latin American Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 580–584, 2009.
- M. Cardarelli, G. Serino, L. Campanella, P. Ercole, F. De Cicco Nardone, O. Alesiani, and F. Rossiello, “Antimitotic effects of usnic acid on different biological systems,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 667–672, 1997.
- M. Takai, Y. Uehara, and J. A. Beisler, “Usnic acid derivatives as potential antineoplastic agents,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1380–1384, 1979.
- N. P. da Silva Santos, S. C. Nascimento, and S. C. Nascimento, “Nanoencapsulation of usnic acid: an attempt to improve antitumour activity and reduce hepatotoxicity,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 154–160, 2006.
- K. Ingólfsdóttir, G. A. C. Chung, V. G. Skúlason, S. R. Gissurarson, and M. Vilhelmsdóttir, “Antimycobacterial activity of lichen metabolites in vitro,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 141–144, 1998.
- Y. Yamamoto, Y. Miura, and Y. Miura, “Screening of tissue cultures and thalli of lichens and some of their active constituents for inhibition of tumor promoter-induced Epstein-Barr virus activation,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1388–1390, 1995.
- M. C. B. Lira, M. S. Ferraz, and M. S. Ferraz, “Inclusion complex of usnic acid with β-cyclodextrin: characterization and nanoencapsulation into liposomes,” Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, vol. 64, no. 3-4, pp. 215–224, 2009.
- C. M. Batista, C. M. B. De Carvalho, and N. S. S. Magalhães, “Lipossomas e suas aplicações terapêuticas: Estado da arte,” Revista Brasileira de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 167–179, 2007.
- N. S. Santos-Magalhães and V. C. F. Mosqueira, “Nanotechnology applied to the treatment of malaria,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 62, no. 4-5, pp. 560–575, 2010.
- C. A. S. Andrade, N. S. Santos-Magalhães, and C. P. de Melo, “Thermodynamic characterization of the prevailing molecular interactions in mixed floating monolayers of phospholipids and usnic acid,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 145–153, 2006.
- C. Sinico, M. Manconi, M. Peppi, F. Lai, D. Valenti, and A. M. Fadda, “Liposomes as carriers for dermal delivery of tretinoin: in vitro evaluation of drug permeation and vesicle-skin interaction,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 123–136, 2005.
- R. R. C. New, In Liposomes: A Practical Approach, IRL Press, Oxford, UK, 1992.
- J. C. Cardoso, Desenvolvimento de gel a partir de colágeno modificado para liberação prolongada de fármacos, dissertação, Universidade de São Paulo, Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas, Ribeirão Preto, Brazil, 2005.
- S. M. Kupchan and H. L. Kopperman, “l-Usnic acid: tumor inhibitor isolated from lichens,” Experientia, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 625–626, 1975.
- P. S. Nunes, M. S. Bezerra, and M. S. Bezerra, “Thermal characterization of usnic acid/collagen-based films,” Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 1011–1014, 2010.
- M. A. G. Ribeiro, R. L. C. Albuquerque, L. M. P. Ramalho, A. L. B. Pinheiro, L. R. Bonjardim, and S. S. Da Cunha, “Immunohistochemical assessment of myofibroblasts and lymphoid cells during wound healing in rats subjected to laser photobiomodulation at 660 nm,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2009.
- R. F. Diegelmann and M. C. Evans, “Wound healing: an overview of acute, fibrotic and delayed healing,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 9, pp. 283–289, 2004.
- S. Srivastava, S. D. Gorham, D. A. French, A. A. Shivas, and J. M. Courtney, “In vivo evaluation and comparison of collagen, acetylated collagen and collagen/glycosaminoglycan composite films and sponges as candidate biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 155–161, 1990.
- C. S. Vijayakumar, S. Viswanathan, M. K. Reddy, S. Parvathavarthini, A. B. Kundu, and E. Sukumar, “Anti-inflammatory activity of (+)-usnic acid,” Fitoterapia, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 564–566, 2000.
- J. Jin, Y. Dong, and L. He, “The study on skin wound healing promoting action of sodium usnic acid,” Zhong Yao Cai, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 109–111, 2005.
- B. Burlando, E. Ranzato, A. Volante, G. Appendino, F. Pollastro, and L. Verotta, “Antiproliferative effects on tumour cells and promotion of keratinocyte wound healing by different lichen compounds,” Planta Medica, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 607–613, 2009.
- E. C. M. De Melo, M. Lemos, J. A. Ximenes Filho, L. U. Sennes, P. H. Nascimento Saldiva, and D. H. Tsuji, “Distribution of collagen in the lamina propria of the human vocal fold,” Laryngoscope, vol. 113, no. 12, pp. 2187–2191, 2003.
- A. F. N. Ramos and J. L. De Miranda, “Propolis: a review of its anti-inflammatory and healing actions,” Journal of Venomous Animals and Toxins Including Tropical Diseases, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 697–710, 2007.
- C. D. G. Carneiro, L. U. Sennes, P. H. N. Saldiva, D. H. Tsuji, and J. A. Ximenes Filho, “Avaliação da deposição de colágeno após implante de fáscia lata e de gordura na prega vocal de coelho: Estudo histomorfométrico,” Revista Brasileira de Otorrinolaringologia, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 798–802, 2005.
- L. Rich and P. Whittaker, “Collagen and picrosirius red staining: a polarized light assessment of fibrillar hue and spatial distribution,” Brazilian Journal of Morphological Sciences, vol. 22, pp. 97–104, 2005.
- V. C. Sandulache, A. Parekh, H. Li-Korotky, J. E. Dohar, and P. A. Hebda, “Prostaglandin E2 inhibition of keloid fibroblast migration, contraction, and transforming growth factor (TGF)-β1-induced collagen synthesis,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 122–133, 2007.
- P. D. H. M. Verhaegen, P. P. M. Van Zuijlen, N. M. Pennings, J. Van Marle, F. B. Niessen, C. M. A. M. Van Der Horst, and E. Middelkoop, “Differences in collagen architecture between keloid, hypertrophic scar, normotrophic scar, and normal skin: an objective histopathological analysis,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 649–656, 2009.
- H. E. Van Beurden, J. W. Von Den Hoff, R. Torensma, J. C. Maltha, and A. M. Kuijpers-Jagtman, “Myofibroblasts in palatal wound healing: prospects for the reduction of wound contraction after cleft palate repair,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 871–880, 2005.
- M. C. M. C. Pereira, C. B. D. Pinho, A. R. P. Medrado, Z. D. A. Andrade, and S. R. D. A. Reis, “Influence of 670 nm low-level laser therapy on mast cells and vascular response of cutaneous injuries,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 188–192, 2010.
- C. Farrington-Rock, N. J. Crofts, M. J. Doherty, B. A. Ashton, C. Griffin-Jones, and A. E. Canfield, “Chondrogenic and adipogenic potential of microvascular pericytes,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 15, pp. 2226–2232, 2004.