- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 230906, 8 pages
A Simple Model for Assessment of Anti-Toxin Antibodies
HPP Division, Defence Science and Technology Organisation, 506 Lorimer Street, Fishermans Bend, VIC 3207, Australia
Received 21 August 2012; Accepted 20 May 2013
Academic Editor: Nirmal K. Ganguly
Copyright © 2013 Alex Skvortsov and Peter Gray. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. B. Reisler and L. A. Smith, “The need for continued development of ricin countermeasures,” Advances in Preventive Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 149737, 4 pages, 2012.
- J. Prigent, L. Panigai, P. Lamourette et al., “Neutralising antibodies against ricin toxin,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20166, 2011.
- H. B. Oral, C. Ozakin, and C. A. Akdis, “Back to the future: antibody-based strategies for the treatment of infectious diseases,” Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 21, pp. 225–239, 2002.
- A. F. Kaufmann, M. I. Meltzer, and G. P. Schmid, “The economic impact of a bioterrorist attack: are prevention and postattack intervention programs justifiable?” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 83–94, 1997.
- G. J. A. Rainey and J. A. T. Young, “Antitoxins: novel strategies to target agents of bioterrorism,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 721–726, 2004.
- M. Nehal, C. Michelle, L. Juan et al., “A high-affinity monoclonal antibody to anthrax protective antigen passively protects rabbits before and after aerosolized,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, pp. 795–802, 2005.
- A. Razai, C. Garcia-Rodriguez, J. Lou et al., “Molecular evolution of antibody affinity for sensitive detection of botulinum neurotoxin type A,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 351, no. 1, pp. 158–169, 2005.
- C. R. McGuinness and N. J. Mantis, “Characterization of a novel high-affinity monoclonal immunoglobulin G antibody against the ricin B subunit,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 3463–3470, 2006.
- H. F. Staats, S. M. Alam, R. M. Scearce et al., “In vitro and in vivo characterization of anthrax anti-protective antigen and anti-lethal factor monoclonal antibodies after passive transfer in a mouse lethal toxin challenge model to define correlates of immunity,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 5443–5452, 2007.
- M. Maddaloni, C. Cooke, R. Wilkinson, A. V. Stout, L. Eng, and S. H. Pincus, “Immunological characteristics associated with the protective efficacy of antibodies to ricin,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 172, no. 10, pp. 6221–6228, 2004.
- E. D. Lobo, R. J. Hansen, and J. P. Balthasar, “Antibody pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 2645–2668, 2004.
- M. T. Albrecht, H. Li, E. D. Williamson et al., “Human monoclonal antibodies against anthrax lethal factor and protective antigen act independently to protect against Bacillus anthracis infection and enhance endogenous immunity to anthrax,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 5425–5433, 2007.
- T. J. Smith, J. Lou, I. N. Geren et al., “Sequence variation within botulinum neurotoxin serotypes impacts antibody binding and neutralization,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 5450–5457, 2005.
- S. Reuveny, M. D. White, Y. Y. Adar et al., “Search for correlates of protective immunity conferred by anthrax vaccine,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 2888–2893, 2001.
- S. F. Little, B. E. Ivins, P. F. Fellows, M. L. M. Pitt, S. L. W. Norris, and G. P. Andrews, “Defining a serological correlate of protection in rabbits for a recombinant anthrax vaccine,” Vaccine, vol. 22, no. 3-4, pp. 422–430, 2004.
- M. L. M. Pitt, S. F. Little, B. E. Ivins et al., “In vitro correlate of immunity in a rabbit model of inhalational anthrax,” Vaccine, vol. 19, no. 32, pp. 4768–4773, 2001.
- K. K. Peachman, M. Rao, C. R. Alving et al., “Correlation between lethal toxin-neutralizing antibody titers and protection from intranasal challenge with Bacillus anthracis ames strain spores in mice after transcutaneous immunization with recombinant anthrax protective antigen,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 794–797, 2006.
- N. Mohamed, M. Clagett, J. Li et al., “A high-affinity monoclonal antibody to anthrax protective antigen passively protects rabbits before and after aerosolized Bacillus anthracis spore challenge,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 795–802, 2005.
- G. A. Papalia, M. Baer, K. Luehrsen, H. Nordin, P. Flynn, and D. G. Myszka, “High-resolution characterization of antibody fragment/antigen interactions using Biacore T100,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 359, no. 1, pp. 112–119, 2006.
- J. E. Alouf and M. R. Popoff, The Comprehensive Sourcebook of Bacterial Protein Toxins, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 3rd edition, 2006.
- K. Sandvig and B. van Deurs, “Membrane traffic exploited by protein toxins,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 18, pp. 1–24, 2002.
- K. Sandvig and B. van Deurs, “Transport of protein toxins into cells: pathways used by ricin, cholera toxin and Shiga toxin,” FEBS Letters, vol. 529, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 2002.
- A. Skvortsov and P. Gray, “Modeling and simulation of receptor-toxin-antibody interaction,” in Proceedings of the 18th World IMACS Congress and International Congress on Modelling and Simulation (MODSIM '09), pp. 185–191, Cairns, Australia, July 2009.
- G. A. Truskey and F. Yuan, Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems, Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- D. A. Lauffenburger, Receptors: Models for Binding, Trafficking, and Signaling, Oxford Univercity Press, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1993.
- B. Goldstein and M. Dembo, “Approximating the effects of diffusion on reversible reactions at the cell surface: ligand-receptor kinetics,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 1222–1230, 1995.
- M. Coppey, A. M. Berezhkovskii, S. C. Sealfon, and S. Y. Shvartsman, “Time and length scales of autocrine signals in three dimensions,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1917–1922, 2007.
- S. Ghosh, M. Gopalakrishnan, and K. Forsten-Williams, “Self-consistent theory of reversible ligand binding to a spherical cell,” Physical Biology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 344–352, 2007.
- F. R. Maxfield and T. E. McGraw, “Endocytic recycling,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 121–132, 2004.
- D. R. Sheff, E. A. Daro, M. Hull, and I. Mellman, “The receptors recycling pathway contains two distinct populations of early endosomes with different sorting functions,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 123–139, 1999.
- C. Lamaze and L. Johannes, “Intracellular trafficking of bacterial and plant protein toxins,” in The Comprehensive Sourcebook of Bacterial Protein Toxins, J. E. Alouf and N. R. Popoff, Eds., pp. 135–153, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 3rd edition, 2006.
- H. S. Wiley and D. D. Cunningham, “A steady state model for analyzing the cellular binding, internalization and degradation of polypeptide ligands,” Cell, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 433–440, 1981.
- H. Shankaran, H. Resat, and H. S. Wiley, “Cell surface receptors for signal transduction and ligand transport: a design principles study,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 3, no. 6, article e101, 2007.
- S. Hoops, R. Gauges, C. Lee et al., “COPASI—a complex pathway simulator,” Bioinformatics, vol. 22, no. 24, pp. 3067–3074, 2006.
- K. Sandvig, S. Olsnes, and A. Pihl, “Kinetics of binding of the toxic lectins abrin and ricin to surface receptors of human cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 251, no. 13, pp. 3977–3984, 1976.
- A. D. Polyanin and A. V. Manzhirov, Handbook of Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- A. R. Tzafriri and E. R. Edelman, “On the validity of the quasi-steady state approximation of bimolecular reactions in solution,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 233, no. 3, pp. 343–350, 2005.