- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 238150, 7 pages
Association of Genetic Variants of BMP4 with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Clinical Traits in a Chinese Han Population
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Diabetes Mellitus, Shanghai Clinical Center for Diabetes, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People’s Hospital, 600 Yishan Road, Shanghai 200233, China
Received 24 September 2013; Revised 16 October 2013; Accepted 18 October 2013
Academic Editor: Cheng Hu
Copyright © 2013 Shanshan Tang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. C. Florez, J. Hirschhorn, and D. Altshuler, “The inherited basis of diabetes mellitus: implications for the genetic analysis of complex traits,” Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics, vol. 4, pp. 257–291, 2003.
- S. O'Rahilly, I. Barroso, and N. J. Wareham, “Genetic factors in type 2 diabetes: the end of the beginning?” Science, vol. 307, no. 5708, pp. 370–373, 2005.
- E. Zeggini, L. J. Scott, R. Saxena, et al., “Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes,” Nature Genetics, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 638–645, 2008.
- B. F. Voight, L. J. Scott, V. Steinthorsdottir, et al., “Twelve type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci identified through large-scale association analysis,” Nature Genetics, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 579–589, 2010.
- A. H. Reddi, “BMPs: from bone morphogenetic proteins to body morphogenetic proteins,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 249–250, 2005.
- D. O. Wagner, C. Sieber, R. Bhushan, J. H. Börgermann, D. Graf, and P. Knaus, “BMPs: from bone to body morphogenetic proteins,” Science Signaling, vol. 3, no. 107, article mr1, 2010.
- M. Kim and S. Choe, “BMPs and their clinical potentials,” BMB Reports, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 619–634, 2011.
- T. J. Schulz and Y.-H. Tseng, “Emerging role of bone morphogenetic proteins in adipogenesis and energy metabolism,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 523–531, 2009.
- T. C. Otto and M. D. Lane, “Adipose development: from stem cell to adipocyte,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 229–242, 2005.
- Q.-Q. Tang, T. C. Otto, and M. D. Lane, “Commitment of C3H10T1/2 pluripotent stem cells to the adipocyte lineage,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 26, pp. 9607–9611, 2004.
- Y.-H. Tseng, E. Kokkotou, T. J. Schulz et al., “New role of bone morphogenetic protein 7 in brown adipogenesis and energy expenditure,” Nature, vol. 454, no. 7207, pp. 1000–1004, 2008.
- R. R. Bowers, J. W. Kim, T. C. Otto, and M. D. Lane, “Stable stem cell commitment to the adipocyte lineage by inhibition of DNA methylation: role of the BMP-4 gene,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 35, pp. 13022–13027, 2006.
- S. Gesta, Y.-H. Tseng, and C. R. Kahn, “Developmental origin of fat: tracking obesity to its source,” Cell, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 242–256, 2007.
- A. H. Kissebah and G. R. Krakower, “Regional adiposity and morbidity,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 761–811, 1994.
- C. Hu, C. Wang, R. Zhang et al., “Association of genetic variants of NOS1AP with type 2 diabetes in a Chinese population,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 290–298, 2010.
- C. Hu, R. Zhang, C. Wang et al., “A genetic variant of G6PC2 is associated with type 2 diabetes and fasting plasma glucose level in the Chinese population,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 451–456, 2009.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- W. P. Jia, C. Pang, L. Chen et al., “Epidemiological characteristics of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose regulation in a Chinese adult population: the Shanghai diabetes studies, a cross-sectional 3-year follow-up study in Shanghai urban communities,” Diabetologia, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 286–292, 2007.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, A. S. Rudenski, B. A. Naylor, D. F. Treacher, and R. C. Turner, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- M. Gutt, C. L. Davis, S. B. Spitzer et al., “Validation of the insulin sensitivity index (ISI0,120): comparison with other measures,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 2000.
- S. Purcell, B. Neale, K. Todd-Brown et al., “PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 559–575, 2007.
- J. M. Chan, E. B. Rimm, G. A. Colditz, M. J. Stampfer, and W. C. Willett, “Obesity, fat distribution, and weight gain as risk factors for clinical diabetes in men,” Diabetes Care, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 961–969, 1994.
- P. Poirier, T. D. Giles, G. A. Bray et al., “Obesity and cardiovascular disease: pathophysiology, evaluation, and effect of weight loss: an update of the 1997 American Heart Association Scientific Statement on obesity and heart disease from the Obesity Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 898–918, 2006.
- P. R. Shepherd, L. Gnudi, E. Tozzo, H. Yang, F. Leach, and B. B. Kahn, “Adipose cell hyperplasia and enhanced glucose disposal in transgenic mice overexpressing GLUT4 selectively in adipose tissue,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 30, pp. 22243–22246, 1993.
- J. Goulley, U. Dahl, N. Baeza, Y. Mishina, and H. Edlund, “BMP4-BMPR1A signaling in β cells is required for and augments glucose-stimulated insulin secretion,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 207–219, 2007.