- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 329058, 9 pages
1H NMR Based Targeted Metabolite Profiling for Understanding the Complex Relationship Connecting Oxidative Stress with Endometriosis
1School of Medical Science and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721302, India
2National Facility for High-Field NMR, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai 400005, India
3Institute of Reproductive Medicine, Kolkata 700106, India
Received 28 April 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Nikhat J. Siddiqi
Copyright © 2013 Saikat K. Jana et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Mittal, “Endometriosis-clinical perspectives,” in Proceedings of the INDO—US Workshop on Microarray in Endometriosis: Clinics to Research Laboratory, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 2009.
- L. C. Giudice and L. C. Kao, “Endometriosis,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9447, pp. 1789–1799, 2004.
- M. Dutta, M. Joshi, S. Srivastava, I. Lodh, B. Chakravarty, and K. Chaudhury, “A metabonomics approach as a means for identification of potential biomarkers for early diagnosis of endometriosis,” Molecular BioSystems, vol. 8, pp. 3281–3287, 2012.
- K. Arumugam and Y. C. Y. Dip, “Endometriosis and infertility: the role of exogenous lipid peroxides in the peritoneal fluid,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 198–199, 1995.
- H.-N. Ho, M.-Y. Wu, S.-U. Chen, K.-H. Chao, C.-D. Chen, and Y.-S. Yang, “Total antioxidant status and nitric oxide do not increase in peritoneal fluids from women with endometriosis,” Human Reproduction, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 2810–2815, 1997.
- Y. Wang, J. Goldberg, R. K. Sharma, A. Agarwal, and T. Falcone, “Importance of reactive oxygen species in the peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosis or idiopathic infertility,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 826–830, 1997.
- A. A. Murphy, N. Santanam, and S. Parthasarathy, “Endometriosis: a disease of oxidative stress?” Seminars in Reproductive Endocrinology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 263–273, 1998.
- A. Agarwal, A. Aponte-Mellado, B. J. Premkumar, A. Shaman, and S. Gupta, “The effects of oxidative stress on female reproduction: a review,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 10, article 49, 2012.
- M. Szczepańska, J. Koźlik, J. Skrzypczak, and M. Mikołajczyk, “Oxidative stress may be a piece in the endometriosis puzzle,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 79, pp. 1288–1293, 2003.
- L. F. Carvalho, A. N. Samadder, A. Agarwal, L. F. Fernandes, and M. S. Abrão, “Oxidative stress biomarkers in patients with endometriosis: systematic review,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 286, pp. 1033–1040, 2012.
- O. Beckonert, H. C. Keun, T. M. D. Ebbels et al., “Metabolic profiling, metabolomic and metabonomic procedures for NMR spectroscopy of urine, plasma, serum and tissue extracts,” Nature protocols, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 2692–2703, 2007.
- W. S. Price, “Applications of pulsed gradient spin-echo NMR diffusion measurements to solution dynamics and organization,” in Diffusion Fundamentals, J. Karger, F. Grinberg, and P. Heitjans, Eds., pp. 490–508, Leipzig University Press, Leipzig, Germany, 2005.
- J. Liu, L. Litt, M. R. Segal, M. J. S. Kelly, J. G. Pelton, and M. Kim, “Metabolomics of oxidative stress in recent studies of endogenous and exogenously administered intermediate metabolites,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 6469–6501, 2011.
- K. Chaudhury, K. N. Babu, A. K. Singh, S. Das, A. Kumar, and S. Seal, “Mitigation of endometriosis using regenerative cerium oxide nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 439–448, 2012.
- J. A. Buege and S. D. Aust, “Microsomal lipid peroxidation,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 52, pp. 302–310, 1978.
- I. L. C. Chapple, “Reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in inflammatory diseases,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 287–296, 1997.
- S. Marklund and G. Marklund, “Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 1974.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase in vitro,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 105, pp. 121–126, 1984.
- M. S. Moron, J. W. Depierre, and B. Mannervik, “Levels of glutathione, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase activities in rat lung and liver,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 582, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 1979.
- V. Witko-Sarsat, M. Friedlander, C. Capeillere-Blandin, et al., “Advanced oxidation protein products as a novel marker of oxidative stress in uremia,” Kidney International, vol. 49, pp. 1304–1313, 1996.
- J. Xia, R. Mandal, I. V. Sinelnikov, D. Broadhurst, and D. S. Wishart, “MetaboAnalyst 2. 0—a comprehensive server for metabolomic data analysis,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, pp. 127–133, 2012.
- J. Xia and D. S. Wishart, “Chapter 14: metabolomic data processing, analysis, and interpretation using MetaboAnalyst,” in Current Protocols in Bioinformatics, 2011.
- J. Xia, N. Psychogios, N. Young, and D. S. Wishart, “MetaboAnalyst: a web server for metabolomic data analysis and interpretation,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. W652–W660, 2009.
- J. Carrola, C. M. Rocha, A. S. Barros et al., “Metabolic signatures of lung cancer in biofluids: NMR-based metabonomics of urine,” Journal of Proteome Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 221–230, 2011.
- J. Xia and D. S. Wishart, “Web-based inference of biological patterns, functions and pathways from metabolomic data using MetaboAnalyst,” Nature Protocols, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 743–760, 2011.
- M. A. Bedaiwy, T. Falcone, R. K. Sharma et al., “Prediction of endometriosis with serum and peritoneal fluid markers: a prospective controlled trial,” Human Reproduction, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 426–431, 2002.
- A. Shanti, N. Santanam, A. J. Morales, S. Parthasarathy, and A. A. Murphy, “Autoantibodies to markers of oxidative stress are elevated in women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1115–1118, 1999.
- H. Ota, S. Igarashi, J. Hatazawa, and T. Tanaka, “Immunohistochemical assessment of superoxide dismutase expression in the endometrium in endometriosis and adenomyosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 1999.
- F. Yuan, S.-X. Liu, and J.-W. Tian, “Advanced oxidation protein products induce reactive oxygen species production in endothelial cells,” Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1350–1352, 2004.
- V. Witko-Sarsat, V. Gausson, A.-T. Nguyen et al., “AOPP-induced activation of human neutrophil and monocyte oxidative metabolism: a potential target for N-acetylcysteine treatment in dialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 82–91, 2003.
- D. M. Townsend, K. D. Tew, and H. Tapiero, “The importance of glutathione in human disease,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2003.
- A. Meister and M. E. Anderson, “Glutathione,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 52, pp. 711–760, 1983.
- C. Kerksick and D. Willoughby, “The antioxidant role of glutathione and N-acetyl-cysteine supplements and exercise-induced oxidative stress,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, vol. 2, pp. 38–44, 2005.
- J. B. Owen and D. A. Butterfield, “Measurement of oxidized/reduced glutathione ratio,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 648, pp. 269–277, 2010.
- T. Soga, R. Baran, M. Suematsu et al., “Differential metabolomics reveals ophthalmic acid as an oxidative stress biomarker indicating hepatic glutathione consumption,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 24, pp. 16768–16776, 2006.
- I. Milic, M. Fedorova, K. Teuber, J. Schiller, and R. Hoffmann, “Characterization of oxidation products from 1-palmitoyl-2-linoleoyl-sn- glycerophosphatidylcholine in aqueous solutions and their reactions with cysteine, histidine and lysine residues,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 186–196, 2012.