- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 413260, 18 pages
Modelling HIV/AIDS Epidemic among Men Who Have Sex with Men in China
1Department of Applied Mathematics, School of Mathematics and Statistics, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an 710049, China
2Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
3National Center for AIDS/STD Prevention and Control, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 155 Changbai Road, Beijing 102206, China
Received 9 April 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013
Academic Editor: Lucia Lopalco
Copyright © 2013 Xiaodan Sun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Ministry of Health, People’s Republic of China, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, World Health Organization, 2009 Estimates for the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in China, Ministry of Health China, UNAIDS and WHO, Beijing, China, 2010.
- Ministry of Health, People’s Republic of China, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, World Health Organization, 2011 Estimates for the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in China, Ministry of Health China, UNAIDS and WHO, Beijing, China, 2011.
- L. A. Valleroy, D. A. Mackellar, J. M. Karon et al., “HIV prevalence and associated risks in young men who have sex with men,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. 198–204, 2000.
- D. P. Wilson, M. G. Law, A. E. Grulich, D. A. Cooper, and J. M. Kaldor, “Relation between HIV viral load and infectiousness: a model-based analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9635, pp. 314–320, 2008.
- J. M. Gran, L. Wasmuth, E. J. Amundsen, B. H. Lindqvist, and O. O. Aalen, “Growth rates in epidemic models: application to a model for HIV/AIDS progression,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 27, no. 23, pp. 4817–4834, 2008.
- R. M. Anderson, R. M. May, M. C. Boily, G. P. Garnett, and J. T. Rowley, “The spread of HIV-1 in Africa: sexual contact patterns and the predicted demographic impact of AIDS,” Nature, vol. 352, no. 6336, pp. 581–589, 1991.
- J. M. Hyman and J. Li, “The reproductive number for an HIV model with differential infectivity and staged progression,” Linear Algebra and Its Applications, vol. 398, no. 1–3, pp. 101–116, 2005.
- J. M. Hyman, J. Li, and E. Ann Stanley, “The differential infectivity and staged progression models for the transmission of HIV,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 77–109, 1999.
- C. C. McCluskey, “A model of HIV/AIDS with staged progression and amelioration,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 181, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2003.
- Y. Zhou, Y. Shao, Y. Ruan et al., “Modeling and prediction of HIV in China: transmission rates structured by infection ages,” Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 403–418, 2008.
- J. Li, C. Luo, and N. de Klerk, “Trends in infant/child mortality and life expectancy in Indigenous populations in Yunnan Province, China,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 216–223, 2008.
- R. M. Granich, C. F. Gilks, C. Dye, K. M. de Cock, and B. G. Williams, “Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: a mathematical model,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9657, pp. 48–57, 2009.
- J. Lou, J. Wu, L. Chen, Y. Ruan, and Y. Shao, “A sex-role-preference model for HIV transmission among men who have sex with men in China,” BMC Public Health, vol. 9, supplement 1, article S10, 2009.
- X. Xu, Y. Xiao, and N. Wang, “Modeling sexual transmission of HIV/AIDS in Jiangsu province, China,” Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 234–248, 2013.
- Y. Xiao, S. Tang, Y. Zhou, et al., “Predicting an HIV/AIDS epidemic and measuring the effect on it of population mobility in mainland China,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 317, pp. 271–285, 2013.
- Ministry of Health, People’s Republic of China, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, World Health Organization, 2007 Estimates for the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in China, Ministry of Health China, UNAIDS and WHO, Beijing, China, 2007.
- F. Zhang, Z. Dou, Y. Ma et al., “Effect of earlier initiation of antiretroviral treatment and increased treatment coverage on HIV-related mortality in China: a national observational cohort study,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 516–524, 2011.
- P. L. Vernazza, B. L. Gilliam, M. Flepp et al., “Effect of antiviral treatment on the shedding of HIV-1 in semen,” AIDS, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1249–1254, 1997.
- M. S. Cohen, I. F. Hoffman, R. A. Royce et al., “Reduction of concentration of HIV-1 in semen after treatment of urethritis: implications for prevention of sexual transmission of HIV-1,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9069, pp. 1868–1873, 1996.
- R. F. Baggaley, G. P. Garnett, and N. M. Ferguson, “Modelling the impact of antiretroviral use in resource-poor settings,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 493–504, 2006.
- S. Tang and Y. Xiao, Biological Dynamic System for Single-Species, Science Publishing House, Beijing, China, 2008.
- W. R. Gilks, S. Richardson, and D. J. Spiegelhalter, Markov Chain Monte Carlo in Practice, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1996.
- A. E. Gelfand, S. E. Hills, A. Racine-Poon, and A. F. M. Smith, “Illustration of Bayesian inference in normal data models using gibbs sampling,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 85, no. 412, pp. 972–985, 1990.
- D. J. Lunn, N. Best, A. Thomas, J. Wakefield, and D. Spiegelhalter, “Bayesian analysis of population PK/PD models: general concepts and software,” Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 271–307, 2002.
- Y. Huang, D. Liu, and H. Wu, “Hierarchical Bayesian methods for estimation of parameters in a longitudinal HIV dynamic system,” Biometrics, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 413–423, 2006.
- H. Putter, S. H. Heisterkamp, J. M. A. Lange, and F. de Wolf, “A Bayesian approach to parameter estimation in HIV dynamical models,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 21, no. 15, pp. 2199–2214, 2002.
- H. Haario, M. Laine, A. Mira, and E. Saksman, “DRAM: efficient adaptive MCMC,” Statistics and Computing, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 339–354, 2006.
- S. Tang, Y. Xiao, Y. Yang, Y. Zhou, J. Wu, and Z. Ma, “Community-based measures for mitigating the 2009 H1N1 pandemic in China,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 6, Article ID e10911, 2010.
- P. van den Driessche and J. Watmough, “Reproduction numbers and sub-threshold endemic equilibria for compartmental models of disease transmission,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 29–48, 2002.
- O. Diekmann, J. A. Heesterbeek, and J. A. Metz, “On the definition and the computation of the basic reproduction ratio R0 in models for infectious diseases in heterogeneous populations,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 365–382, 1990.
- H. L. Smith and X.-Q. Zhao, “Robust persistence for semidynamical systems,” Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 6169–6179, 2001.
- Y. Xiao, J. Sun, C. Li et al., “Prevalence and correlates of HIV and syphilis infections among men who have sex with men in seven Provinces in China with historically low HIV prevalence,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 53, supplement 1, pp. S66–S73, 2010.
- K.-H. Choi, H. Lui, Y. Guo, L. Han, and J. S. Mandel, “Lack of HIV testing and awareness of HIV infection among men who have sex with men, Beijing, China,” AIDS Education and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 33–43, 2006.
- G. Tong, MSM Volunteers Participation in HIV/AIDS Prevention Activities, Public Publication, 2001.
- J. W. Dilley, W. J. Woods, and W. McFarland, “Are advances in treatment changing views about high-risk sex?” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 7, pp. 501–502, 1997.
- J. A. Kelly, R. G. Hoffmann, D. Rompa, and M. Gray, “Protease inhibitor combination therapies and perceptions of gay men regarding AIDS severity and the need to maintain safer sex,” AIDS, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. F91–F95, 1998.
- D. E. Ostrow, K. J. Fox, J. S. Chmiel et al., “Attitudes towards highly active antiretroviral therapy are associated with sexual risk taking among HIV-infected and uninfected homosexual men,” AIDS, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 775–780, 2002.
- S. Marino, I. B. Hogue, C. J. Ray, and D. E. Kirschner, “A methodology for performing global uncertainty and sensitivity analysis in systems biology,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 178–196, 2008.
- H. Nishiura, “Correcting the actual reproduction number: a simple method to estimate R0 from early epidemic growth data,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 291–302, 2010.
- G. Tong, An Inquiry into Commercial Sex in the Community of Men Who Have Sex with Men in China, Gender Health Education Institute, Beijing, China, 2007.