- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 616810, 7 pages
Enhanced Transdermal Delivery of Diclofenac Sodium via Conventional Liposomes, Ethosomes, and Transfersomes
1Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51664-14766, Iran
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51664-14766, Iran
3Student Research Committee, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51664-14766, Iran
4Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz 51664-14766, Iran
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 16 June 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Ajit S. Narang
Copyright © 2013 Saeed Ghanbarzadeh and Sanam Arami. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Álvarez-Soria, G. Herrero-Beaumont, J. Moreno-Rubio et al., “Long-term NSAID treatment directly decreases COX-2 and mPGES-1 production in the articular cartilage of patients with osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1484–1493, 2008.
- R. S. Devi, S. Narayan, G. Vani, and C. S. Shyamala Devi, “Gastroprotective effect of Terminalia arjuna bark on diclofenac sodium induced gastric ulcer,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 71–83, 2007.
- L. Li, G. Rossoni, A. Sparatore, L. C. Lee, P. Del Soldato, and P. K. Moore, “Anti-inflammatory and gastrointestinal effects of a novel diclofenac derivative,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 706–719, 2007.
- H. Piao, N. Kamiya, J. Watanabe et al., “Oral delivery of diclofenac sodium using a novel solid-in-oil suspension,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 313, no. 1-2, pp. 159–162, 2006.
- F. Alessandri, D. Lijoi, E. Mistrangelo, A. Nicoletti, M. Crosa, and N. Ragni, “Topical diclofenac patch for postoperative wound pain in laparoscopic gynecologic surgery: a randomized study,” Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 195–200, 2006.
- Y. G. Bachhav, A. Heinrich, and Y. N. Kalia, “Using laser microporation to improve transdermal delivery of diclofenac: increasing bioavailability and the range of therapeutic applications,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 408–414, 2011.
- G. Cevc and G. Blume, “New, highly efficient formulation of diclofenac for the topical, transdermal administration in ultradeformable drug carriers, Transfersomes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Biomembranes, vol. 1514, no. 2, pp. 191–205, 2001.
- J.-Y. Fang, K. C. Sung, H.-H. Lin, and C.-L. Fang, “Transdermal iontophoretic delivery of diclofenac sodium from various polymer formulations: in vitro and in vivo studies,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 1999.
- M. Ferrante, A. Andreeta, and M. F. Landoni, “Effect of different penetration enhancers on diclofenac permeation across horse skin,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 186, no. 3, pp. 312–315, 2010.
- G. C. Rosim, C. H. Barbieri, F. M. Lanças, and N. Mazzer, “Diclofenac phonophoresis in human volunteers,” Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 337–343, 2005.
- A. C. Sintov and S. Botner, “Transdermal drug delivery using microemulsion and aqueous systems: influence of skin storage conditions on the in vitro permeability of diclofenac from aqueous vehicle systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 311, no. 1-2, pp. 55–62, 2006.
- D. Yariv, R. Efrat, D. Libster, A. Aserin, and N. Garti, “In vitro permeation of diclofenac salts from lyotropic liquid crystalline systems,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 2010.
- I. Elron-Gross, Y. Glucksam, and R. Margalit, “Liposomal dexamethasone-diclofenac combinations for local osteoarthritis treatment,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 376, no. 1-2, pp. 84–91, 2009.
- T. Fujisawa, H. Miyai, K. Hironaka et al., “Liposomal diclofenac eye drop formulations targeting the retina: formulation stability improvement using surface modification of liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 436, no. 1-2, pp. 564–567, 2012.
- S. H. Hwang, Y. Maitani, X.-R. Qi, K. Takayama, and T. Nagai, “Remote loading of diclofenac, insulin and fluorescein isothiocyanate labeled insulin into liposomes by pH and acetate gradient methods,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 85–95, 1999.
- R. Jukanti, G. Devaraj, R. Devaraj, and S. Apte, “Drug targeting to inflammation: studies on antioxidant surface loaded diclofenac liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 414, no. 1-2, pp. 179–185, 2011.
- N. Bavarsad, B. S. Fazly Bazzaz, A. Khamesipour, and M. R. Jaafari, “Colloidal, in vitro and in vivo anti-leishmanial properties of transfersomes containing paromomycin sulfate in susceptible BALB/c mice,” Acta Tropica, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2012.
- N. Butoescu, O. Jordan, and E. Doelker, “Intra-articular drug delivery systems for the treatment of rheumatic diseases: a review of the factors influencing their performance,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 205–218, 2009.
- J. Malakar, S. O. Sen, A. K. Nayak, and K. K. Sen, “Formulation, optimization and evaluation of transferosomal gel for transdermal insulin delivery,” Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 355–363, 2012.
- A. Gillet, A. Grammenos, P. Compère, B. Evrard, and G. Piel, “Development of a new topical system: drug-in-cyclodextrin-in-deformable liposome,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 380, no. 1-2, pp. 174–180, 2009.
- A. Ahad, M. Aqil, K. Kohli, Y. Sultana, and M. Mujeeb, “Enhanced transdermal delivery of an anti-hypertensive agent via nanoethosomes: statistical optimization, characterization and pharmacokinetic assessment,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 443, no. 1-2, pp. 26–38, 2013.
- M. M. A. Elsayed, O. Y. Abdallah, V. F. Naggar, and N. M. Khalafallah, “Deformable liposomes and ethosomes: mechanism of enhanced skin delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 322, no. 1-2, pp. 60–66, 2006.
- M. M. A. Elsayed, O. Y. Abdallah, V. F. Naggar, and N. M. Khalafallah, “Lipid vesicles for skin delivery of drugs: reviewing three decades of research,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 332, no. 1-2, pp. 1–16, 2007.
- I. Scognamiglio, D. de Stefano, V. Campani et al., “Nanocarriers for topical administration of resveratrol: a comparative study,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 440, no. 2, pp. 179–187, 2013.
- A. M. A. Elhissi, J. Giebultowicz, A. A. Stec et al., “Nebulization of ultradeformable liposomes: the influence of aerosolization mechanism and formulation excipients,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 436, no. 1-2, pp. 519–526, 2012.
- M. K. Chourasia, L. Kang, and S. Y. Chan, “Nanosized ethosomes bearing ketoprofen for improved transdermal delivery,” Results in Pharma Sciences, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 60–67, 2011.
- Y.-P. Fang, Y.-B. Huang, P.-C. Wu, and Y.-H. Tsai, “Topical delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid-encapsulated ethosomes in a hyperproliferative skin animal model using the CLSM technique to evaluate the penetration behavior,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 391–398, 2009.
- E. Horwitz, S. Pisanty, R. Czerninski, M. Heiser, E. Eliav, and E. Touitou, “A clinical evaluation of a novel liposomal carrier for acyclovir in the topical treatment of recurrent herpes labialis,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 700–705, 1999.
- J. M. López-Pinto, M. L. González-Rodríguez, and A. M. Rabasco, “Effect of cholesterol and ethanol on dermal delivery from DPPC liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2005.
- S. T. Tanrıverdi and Ö. Özer, “Novel topical formulations of Terbinafine-HCl for treatment of onychomycosis,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 48, no. 4-5, pp. 628–636, 2013.
- S. Ghanbarzadeh, H. Valizadeh, and P. Zakeri-Milani, “The effects of lyophilization on the physico-chemical stability of sirolimus liposomes,” Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 2013.
- S. Ghanbarzadeh, H. Valizadeh, and P. Zakeri-Milani, “Application of factorial designs and response surface methodology in formulation development of sirolimus liposome prepared by thin film hydration technique,” BioImpacts, vol. 3, no. 2, 2013.
- T. Jun-Bo, Y. Zhuang-Qun, H. Xi-Jing et al., “Effect of ethosomal minoxidil on dermal delivery and hair cycle of C57BL/6 mice,” Journal of Dermatological Science, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 135–137, 2007.
- G. Li, Y. Fan, C. Fan et al., “Tacrolimus-loaded ethosomes: physicochemical characterization and in vivo evaluation,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 49–57, 2012.
- T. Limsuwan and T. Amnuaikit, “Development of ethosomes containing mycophenolic acid,” Procedia Chemistry, vol. 4, pp. 328–335, 2012.
- E. Touitou, N. Dayan, L. Bergelson, B. Godin, and M. Eliaz, “Ethosomes—novel vesicular carriers for enhanced delivery: characterization and skin penetration properties,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 403–418, 2000.
- R. G. S. Maheshwari, R. K. Tekade, P. A. Sharma et al., “Ethosomes and ultradeformable liposomes for transdermal delivery of clotrimazole: a comparative assessment,” Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 161–170, 2012.
- C. K. Song, P. Balakrishnan, C.-K. Shim, S.-J. Chung, S. Chong, and D.-D. Kim, “A novel vesicular carrier, transethosome, for enhanced skin delivery of voriconazole: characterization and in vitro/in vivo evaluation,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 92, pp. 299–304, 2012.
- K. Takahashi, H. Sakano, M. Yoshida, N. Numata, and N. Mizuno, “Characterization of the influence of polyol fatty acid esters on the permeation of diclofenac through rat skin,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 73, no. 2-3, pp. 351–358, 2001.
- S. M. B. Souza, O. N. Oliveira Jr., M. V. Scarpa, and A. G. Oliveira, “Study of the diclofenac/phospholipid interactions with liposomes and monolayers,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2004.
- M. Manconi, S. Mura, C. Sinico, A. M. Fadda, A. O. Vila, and F. Molina, “Development and characterization of liposomes containing glycols as carriers for diclofenac,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 342, no. 1–3, pp. 53–58, 2009.
- B. Godin and E. Touitou, “Mechanism of bacitracin permeation enhancement through the skin and cellular membranes from an ethosomal carrier,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 94, no. 2-3, pp. 365–379, 2004.
- D. Paolino, G. Lucania, D. Mardente, F. Alhaique, and M. Fresta, “Ethosomes for skin delivery of ammonium glycyrrhizinate: in vitro percutaneous permeation through human skin and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity on human volunteers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 106, no. 1-2, pp. 99–110, 2005.
- V. Dubey, D. Mishra, and N. K. Jain, “Melatonin loaded ethanolic liposomes: physicochemical characterization and enhanced transdermal delivery,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 398–405, 2007.