- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 625403, 8 pages
Application of Improved Three-Dimensional Kernel Approach to Prediction of Protein Structural Class
1School of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Guangxi University, Guangxi Province, Nanning 530004, China
2State Key Laboratory of Medical Genomics, Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200240, China
3Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, China
4College of Pharmacy, Guangxi University of Chinese Medicine, Nanning 530001, China
Received 25 March 2013; Revised 4 May 2013; Accepted 10 May 2013
Academic Editor: Bing Niu
Copyright © 2013 Xu Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Brusic, G. Rudy, M. Honeyman, J. Hammer, and L. Harrison, “Prediction of MHC class II-binding peptides using an evolutionary algorithm and artificial neural network,” Bioinformatics, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 121–130, 1998.
- L. Xu, L. Wencong, J. Shengli, L. Yawei, and C. Nianyi, “Support vector regression applied to materials optimization of sialon ceramics,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 82, no. 1-2, pp. 8–14, 2006.
- I. Guyon, J. Weston, S. Barnhill, and V. Vapnik, “Gene selection for cancer classification using support vector machines,” Machine Learning, vol. 46, no. 1–3, pp. 389–422, 2002.
- B. M. Nicolaï, K. I. Theron, and J. Lammertyn, “Kernel PLS regression on wavelet transformed NIR spectra for prediction of sugar content of apple,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 243–252, 2007.
- Y. Qu, B.-L. Adam, Y. Yasui et al., “Boosted decision tree analysis of surface-enhanced laser desorption/ionization mass spectral serum profiles discriminates prostate cancer from noncancer patients,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1835–1843, 2002.
- B. Niu, X.-C. Yuan, P. Roeper et al., “HIV-1 protease cleavage site prediction based on two-stage feature selection method,” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 290–298, 2013.
- B. Niu, Q. Su, X.-C. Yuan, W. Lu, and J. Ding, “QSAR study on 5-lipoxygenase inhibitors based on support vector machine,” Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1108–1116, 2012.
- C.-R. Peng, W.-C. Lu, B. Niu, M.-J. Li, X.-Y. Yang, and M.-L. Wu, “Predicting the metabolic pathways of small molecules based on their physicochemical properties,” Protein & Peptide Letters, vol. 19, pp. 1250–1256, 2012.
- Q. Su, W.-C. Lu, B. Niu, X. Liu, and T.-H. Gu, “Classification of the toxicity of some organic compounds to tadpoles (Rana Temporaria) through integrating multiple classifiers,” Molecular Informatics, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 672–675, 2011.
- B. Niu, W.-C. Lu, J. Ding et al., “Site of O-glycosylation prediction based on two stage feature selection,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 2, pp. 142–145, 2011.
- A. V. Finkelstein and O. B. Ptitsyn, “Why do globular proteins fit the limited set of foldin patterns?” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 171–190, 1987.
- K.-C. Chou and L. Carlacci, “Energetic approach to the folding of α/β barrels,” Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 280–295, 1991.
- K.-C. Chou, “Progress in protein structural class prediction and its impact to bioinformatics and proteomics,” Current Protein & Peptide Science, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 423–436, 2005.
- K. Oxenoid and J. J. Chou, “The structure of phospholamban pentamer reveals a channel-like architecture in membranes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 31, pp. 10870–10875, 2005.
- J. S. Richardson, “β sheet topology and the relatedness of proteins,” Nature, vol. 268, no. 5620, pp. 495–500, 1977.
- O. B. Ptitsyn and A. V. Finkelstein, “Similarities of protein topologies: evolutionary divergence, functional convergence or principles of folding?” Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 339–386, 1980.
- B. Niu, Y.-D. Cai, W.-C. Lu, G.-Z. Li, and K.-C. Chou, “Predicting protein structural class with AdaBoost Learner,” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 489–492, 2006.
- D. A. Doyle, J. M. Cabral, R. A. Pfuetzner et al., “The structure of the potassium channel: molecular basis of K+ conduction and selectivity,” Science, vol. 280, no. 5360, pp. 69–77, 1998.
- J. R. Schnell and J. J. Chou, “Structure and mechanism of the M2 proton channel of influenza A virus,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7178, pp. 591–595, 2008.
- L. Stouffer Amanda, A. Rudresh, and S. David, “Structural basis for the function and inhibition of an influenza virus proton channel,” Nature, vol. 451, pp. 596–599, 2008.
- M. D. Resh, “Myristylation and palmitylation of Src family members: the fats of the matter,” Cell, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 411–413, 1994.
- K.-C. Chou and D. W. Elrod, “Protein subcellular location prediction,” Protein Engineering, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 107–118, 1999.
- K.-C. Chou and D. W. Elrod, “Prediction of membrane protein types and subcellular locations,” Proteins, vol. 34, pp. 137–153, 1999.
- K.-C. Chou, “A novel approach to predicting protein structural classes in a (20-1)-D amino acid composition space,” Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 319–344, 1995.
- B. Niu, Y.-H. Jin, K.-Y. Feng et al., “Predicting membrane protein types with bagging learner,” Protein & Peptide Letters, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 590–594, 2008.
- V. Vapnik, Statistical Learning Theory, John Wiley & Johns, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- D. L. Massart, B. G. M. Vandeginste, S. N. Deming, Y. Michotte, and L. Kaufman, Chemometrics: A Textbook, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1988.
- R. Bro, “PARAFAC. Tutorial and applications,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 149–171, 1997.
- W. Wu, D. L. Massart, and S. de Jong, “The kernel PCA algorithms for wide data. Part I: theory and algorithms,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 165–172, 1997.
- D.-S. Cao, Y.-Z. Liang, Q.-S. Xu, Q.-N. Hu, L.-X. Zhang, and G.-H. Fu, “Exploring nonlinear relationships in chemical data using kernel-based methods,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 106–115, 2011.
- G. Baudat and F. Anouar, “Generalized discriminant analysis using a kernel approach,” Neural Computation, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2385–2404, 2000.
- H. Yamamoto, H. Yamaji, Y. Abe et al., “Dimensionality reduction for metabolome data using PCA, PLS, OPLS, and RFDA with differential penalties to latent variables,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 2009.
- H. Wang, Z. Hu, and Y. Zhao, “An efficient algorithm for generalized discriminant analysis using incomplete Cholesky decomposition,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 254–259, 2007.
- B. S. Kim and S. B. Park, “A fast k nearest neighbor finding algorithm based on the ordered partition,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 761–766, 1986.
- S. Sonnenburg, G. Rätsch, S. Henschel et al., “The Shogun machine learning toolbox,” The Journal of Machine Learning Research, vol. 11, pp. 1799–1802, 2010.
- S. R. Amendolia, G. Cossu, M. L. Ganadu, B. Golosio, G. L. Masala, and G. M. Mura, “A comparative study of K-nearest neighbour, support vector machine and multi-layer perceptron for Thalassemia screening,” Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 69, no. 1-2, pp. 13–20, 2003.
- M. Kearns and D. Ron, “Algorithmic stability and sanity-check bounds for leave-one-out cross-validation,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Computational Learning Theory, pp. 152–162, ACM Press, July 1997.
- S. B. Holden, “PAC-like upper bounds for the sample complexity of leave-one-out cross-validation,” in Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference on Computational Learning Theory, pp. 41–50, Desenzano del Garda, Italy, July 1996.
- G.-P. Zhou and K. Doctor, “Subcellular location prediction of apoptosis proteins,” Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 2003.
- Y.-X. Pan, Z.-Z. Zhang, Z.-M. Guo, G.-Y. Feng, Z.-D. Huang, and L. He, “Application of pseudo amino acid composition for predicting protein subcellular location: stochastic signal processing approach,” Journal of Protein Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 395–402, 2003.
- K.-C. Chou and Y.-D. Cai, “Predicting protein localization in budding yeast,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 944–950, 2005.
- K.-C. Chou and Y.-D. Cai, “Predicting enzyme family class in a hybridization space,” Protein Science, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 2857–2863, 2004.