- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Child Development Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 396071, 8 pages
Beliefs, Anxiety, and Avoiding Failure in Mathematics
Faculty of Education, Health and Sciences, University of Derby, Derby DE22 1GB, UK
Received 1 June 2012; Revised 26 August 2012; Accepted 29 August 2012
Academic Editor: Ann Dowker
Copyright © 2012 Steve Chinn. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ashcraft, E. P. Kirk, and D. Hopko, “On the cognitive consequences of mathematics anxiety,” in The Development of Mathematical Skills, C. Donlan, Ed., Hove, The Psychological Corporation, 1998.
- R. R. Skemp, The Psychology of Learning Mathematics, Penguin, Hardmondsworth, UK, 1971.
- I. Lundberg and G. Sterner, “Reading, arithmetic, and task orientation—how are they related?” Annals of Dyslexia, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 361–377, 2006.
- J. Hattie, Visible Learning: A Synthesis of over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement, Routledge, Abingdon, UK, 2009.
- M. C. O'Connor and S. V. Paunonen, “Big Five personality predictors of post-secondary academic performance,” Personality and Individual Differences, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 971–990, 2007.
- C. S. Dweck, Self-Theories, Psychology Press, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2000.
- M. Seligman, Learned Optimism, Vintage Books, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- S. Chinn, The Trouble with Maths: A Practical Guide to Helping Learners with Numeracy Difficulties, Routledge, Abingdon, UK, 2nd edition, 2012.
- D. Mtetwa and J. Garofalo, “Beliefs about mathematics: an overlooked aspect of student difficulties,” Academic Therapy, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 611–618, 1989.
- P. Ernest, The Psychology of Learning Mathematics, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany, 2011.
- R. Porkess, et al., “A world-class mathematics education for all our youngpeople,” 2011, http://www.conservatives.com/.../Vorderman%20maths%20report.ashx.
- S. Chinn, More Trouble with Maths: A Complete Guide to Identifying and Diagnosing Mathematical Learning Difficulties, Routledge, Abingdon, UK, 2012.
- M. V. Covington, Making the Grade: A Self-Worth Perspective on Motivation and School Reform, CUP, Cambridge, UK, 1992.
- S. Chinn, “Mathematics anxiety in secondary students in England,” Dyslexia, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2009.
- A. Dowker, Individual Differences in Arithmetic, Hove, Psychology Press, 2005.
- M. H. Ashcraft, J. A. Krause, and D. R. Hopko, “Is math anxiety a mathematical learning disability?” in Why is Math so Hard for Some Children? The Nature and Origins of Mathematical Learning Difficulties and Disabilities, M. M. M. Mazzocco and D. B. Berch, Eds., Brookes, Baltimore, Md, USA, 2007.
- M. H. Ashcraft and J. A. Krause, “Working memory, math performance, and math anxiety,” Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 243–248, 2007.
- R. Hembree, “The nature, effects and relief of mathematics anxiety,” Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, vol. 21, pp. 33–46, 1990.
- S. J. Chinn, “A pilot study to compare arithmetic skill,” Dyslexia Review, vol. 4, pp. 4–7, 1995.
- J. M. Engelhardt, “Analysis of childrens' computational errors: a qualitative approach,” British Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 47, pp. 149–154, 1977.
- O. D. Hadfield and K. McNeil, “The relationship between Myers-Briggs personality type and mathematics anxiety among pre-service elementary teachers,” Journal of Instructional Psychology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 375–384, 1994.
- Department for Children, Schools and Families, “Getting back on track—pupils who make slow progress in Key Stage3,” Ref. 00654-2007BKT-EN, 2007, http://www.tsm-resources.com/pdf/VordermanMathsReport.pdf.
- M. Chester, K. Manson, S. Little, K. Redmond, et al., KS 3 Mathematics: Complete Revision and Practice, Kirkby-in-Furness, Coordination Group Publications, 2004.
- R. S. Siegler, G. J. Duncan, P. E. Davis-Kean, et al., “Early predictors of high school mathematics achievement,” Pyschological Science, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 691–697.
- S. Rashid and G. Brooks, “The levels of attainment in literacy and numeracy of 13- to 19-year olds in England, 1948–2009,” Literacy Today, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 2010.