- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Child Development Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 898406, 5 pages
Influence of Affordances in the Home Environment on Motor Development of Young Children in Japan
1National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Kanoya, Faculty of Physical Education, 1 Shiromizu-cho, Kanoya, Kagoshima, Japan
2Child Care St. Mary’s College, Nagoya, 2-54 Myogetsu-cho, Shouwa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
3Texas A&M University, Department of Health & Kinesiology, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Received 14 May 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Annie Vinter
Copyright © 2013 Shiro Mori et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Son and F. J. Morrison, “The nature and impact of changes in home learning environment on development of language and academic skills in preschool children,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1103–1118, 2010.
- R. H. Bradley, B. M. Caldwell, S. L. Rock et al., “Home environment and cognitive development in the first 3 years of life: a collaborative study involving six sites and three ethnic groups in North America,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 217–235, 1989.
- D. Mundfrom, R. Bradley, and L. Whiteside, “A factor analytic study of the infant-toddler and early childhood versions of the HOME inventory,” Educational and Psychological Measurement, vol. 53, pp. 479–489, 1993.
- A. L. Abbott, D. J. Bartlett, J. E. K. Fanning, and J. Kramer, “Infant motor development and aspects of the home environment,” Pediatric Physical Therapy, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 62–67, 2000.
- J. J. Gibson, The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception, Houghton Mifflin, Boston, Mass, USA, 1979.
- T. A. Stoffregen, “Affordances and events,” Ecological Psychology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–28, 2000.
- N. Hirose, “An ecological approach to embodiment and cognition,” Cognitive Systems Research, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 289–299, 2002.
- L. P. Rodrigues, L. Saraiva, and C. Gabbard, “Development and construct validation of an inventory for assessing the home environment for motor development,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 2005.
- P. Caçola, C. Gabbard, D. C. C. Santos, and A. C. T. Batistela, “Development of the affordances in the home environment for motor development-Infant scale,” Pediatrics International, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 820–825, 2011.
- C. Gabbard, P. Caçola, and L. P. Rodrigues, “A new inventory for assessing affordances in the home environment for motor development (AHEMD-SR),” Early Childhood Education Journal, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 5–9, 2008.
- T. Sugihara, S. Mori, and I. Yoshida, “Change over time in preschool children's motor ability and structural analysis of environmental factors,” Research Report of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research B in 2002-2003, 2004, (Japanese).
- A. Haydari, P. Askari, and M. Nezhad, “Relationship between affordances in the home environment and motor development in children age 18–24 months,” Journal of Social Science, vol. 5, pp. 319–328, 2009.
- Y. Hsieh, A. Hwang, H. Liao, P. Chen, W. Hsieh, and P. Chu, “Psychometric properties of a Chinese version of the home environment measure for motor development,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 33, no. 25-26, pp. 2454–2463, 2011.
- A. F. Miquelote, D. C. C. Santos, P. M. Caçola, M. I. Montebelo, and C. Gabbard, “Effect of the home environment on motor and cognitive behavior of infants,” Infant Behavior & Development, vol. 35, pp. 329–334, 2012.
- V. A. Temple, P. Naylor, R. E. Rhodes, and J. W. Higgins, “Physical activity of children in family child care,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 794–798, 2009.
- M. Enjoji and N. Yanai, “Analytic test for development in infancy and childhood,” Japanese Pediatric Society, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 2–6, 1961.
- M. Enjoji, Infant Analytic Developmental Test of the Enjoji-New Revised Edition Type-Pediatrics Department in Kyushu University, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan, 2009, (Japanese).