- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 135731, 11 pages
Vulnerability Analysis of Power Grids Using Modified Centrality Measures
Graduate Program in Electrical Engineering at CUCEI, Department of the State University of Guadalajara,
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Received 9 December 2012; Revised 22 February 2013; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Ricardo Femat
Copyright © 2013 Francisco Gutierrez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- California Energy Commission, “Smart grid cyber security potential threats, vulnerabilities and risks,” PIER, Program Interim Project Report CEC-500-2012.047, 2012.
- Congress of United States Office of Technology Assessment, “Physical Vulnerability of Electric Systems to Natural Disasters and Sabotage,” OTA-E-453, 1990.
- P. Gomes, “New strategies to improve bulk power system security: lessons learned from large blackouts,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1703–1708, Denver, Colo, USA, June 2004.
- C. J. Kim and O. B. Obah, “Vulnerability assessment of power grid using graph topological indices,” International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol. 8, no. 6, article 4, pp. 1–15, 2007.
- V. Rosato, S. Bologna, and F. Tiriticco, “Topological properties of high-voltage electrical transmission networks,” Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2007.
- Y. Shao and J. Yu, “Priority evaluation of transmission lines based on vulnerability assemment,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Sustainable Power Generation and Supply (SUPERGEN '09), pp. 1–6, April 2009.
- P. Crucitti, V. Latora, and M. Marchiori, “Locating critical lines in high-voltage electrical power grids,” Fluctuation and Noise Letters, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. L201–L208, 2005.
- V. Latora and M. Marchiori, “Vulnerability and protection of infrastructure networks,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, no. 1, Article ID 015103, 4 pages, 2005.
- S. Xu, H. Zhou, C. Li, and X. Yang, “Vulnerability assessment of power grid based on complex network theory,” in Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC '09), pp. 1–4, March 2009.
- G. Zhang, C. Wang, J. Zhang, J. Yang, Y. Zhang, and M. Duan, “Vulnerability assessment of bulk power grid based on complex network theory,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies (DRPT '08), pp. 1554–1558, April 2008.
- E. Bompard, R. Napoli, and F. Xue, “Extended topological approach for the assessment of structural vulnerability in transmission networks,” IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 4, no. 6, Article ID IGTDAW000004000006000716000001, pp. 716–724, 2010.
- P. Hines and S. Blumsack, “A centrality measure for electrical networks,” in Proceedings of the 41st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '08), p. 185, January 2008.
- D. Ban, “A flow-based centrality measure through resistance distances in smart-grid networks,” in Proceedings of the 54th Annual IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference: “Energizing Global Communications” (GLOBECOM '11), Houston, Tex, USA, 2011.
- A. B. M. Nasiruzzaman, H. R. Pota, and F. R. Islam, “Complex network framework based dependency matrix of electric power grid,” in Proceedings of the 21st Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC '11), Brisbane, Australia, 2011.
- L. C. Freeman, “The gatekeeper, pair-dependency and structural centrality,” Quality and Quantity, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 585–592, 1980.
- G. E. Antonio, Análisis y Operación de Sistemas de Energía Eléctrica, McGraw-Hill, 2008.
- E. W. Dijkstra, “A note on two problems in connexion with graphs,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 269–271, 1959.
- L. C. Freeman, “Centrality in social networks conceptual clarification,” Social Networks, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 215–239, 1978.
- C. Correa, C. Tarik, K.-L. Ma, and K. Keeton, “The Derivatives of Centrality and their applications in Visualizing Social Networks,” 2009.
- B. Toufik, “Modélisation de parcours du web et calcul de commnautés par émergence,” Thèse Pour Obtenier le Diplôme de Doctorat Informatique, Université Montpellier II, 2005.
- R. Albert and A.-L. Barabási, “Statistical mechanics of complex networks,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 47–97, 2002.
- L. C. Freeman, “A set of measures of centrality based on betweenness,” Sociometry, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1977.
- S. P. Borgatti and D. S. Halgin, “On network theory,” Organization Science, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1168–1181.
- D. N. Kosterev, C. W. Taylor, and W. A. Mittelstadt, “Model validation for the august 10,1996 wscc system outage,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 967–979, 1999.
- A. Bavelas, “A mathematical model for group structure,” Applied Anthropology, vol. 7, pp. 16–30, 1948.
- G. Sabidussi, “The centrality index of a graph,” Psychometrika, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 581–603, 1966.
- A. Fronczak, P. Fronczak, and J. A. Hołyst, “Average path length in random networks,” Physical Review E, vol. 70, no. 5, Article ID 056110, 7 pages, 2004.
- D. J. Watts and S. H. Strogatz, “Collective dynamics of “small-world” networks,” Nature, vol. 393, no. 6, pp. 440–442.
- V. Larota and M. Marchiori, “Efficient behavior of small-world networks,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 87, no. 19, Article ID 198701, 4 pages, 2001.