- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 427050, 7 pages
Discrete Coupling and Synchronization in the Insulin Release in the Mathematical Model of the Cells
1Instituto de Investigación en Comunicación Óptica, Departamento de Físico Matemáticas, Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí, Álvaro Obregón 64, 78000 San Luis Potosí, SLP, Mexico
2División de Matemáticas Aplicadas, Instituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica A.C., Camino a la Presa San José 2055, Colonia Lomas 4a Sección, 78216 San Luis Potosí, SLP, Mexico
Received 19 October 2012; Revised 19 December 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Gualberto Solís-Perales
Copyright © 2013 L. J. Ontañón-García and E. Campos-Cantón. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Meda, A. Perrelet, and L. Orci, “Gap junctions and β-cell function,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 10, Supplement 10, Biochemistry and Biophysics of the pancreatic, pp. 157–161, 1980.
- P. M. Dean and E. K. Matthews, “Electrical activity in pancreatic islet cells,” Nature, vol. 219, no. 5152, pp. 389–390, 1968.
- P. M. Dean and E. K. Matthews, “Glucose-induced electrical activity in pancreatic islet cells,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 210, no. 2, pp. 255–264, 1970.
- C. Amatore, S. Arbault, I. Bonifas, M. Guille, F. Lemaître, and Y. Verchier, “Relationship between amperometric pre-spike feet and secretion granule composition in Chromaffin cells: an overview,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 129, no. 2-3, pp. 181–189, 2007.
- P. Smolen, J. Rinzel, and A. Sherman, “Why pancreatic islets burst but single β cells do not: the heterogeneity hypothesis,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1668–1680, 1993.
- P. Meda, I. Atwater, and A. Goncalves, “The topography of electrical synchrony among β-cells in the mouse islet of Langerhans,” Quarterly Journal of Experimental Physiology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 719–735, 1984.
- G. T. Eddlestone, A. Goncalves, J. A. Bangham, and E. Rojas, “Electrical coupling between cells in islets of langerhans from mouse,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1984.
- X.-P. Yan and W.-T. Li, “Global existence of periodic solutions in a simplified four-neuron BAM neural network model with multiple delays,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2006, Article ID 57254, 18 pages, 2006.
- J. Duarte, L. Silva, and J. Sousa Ramos, “Computation of the topological entropy in chaotic biophysical bursting models for excitable cells,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2006, Article ID 60918, 18 pages, 2006.
- I. Atwater, C. M. Dawson, A. Scott, G. Eddlestone, and E. Rojas, “The nature of the oscillatory behaviour in electrical activity from pancreatic β-cell,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 10, Biochemistry and Biophysics of the Pancreatic, pp. 100–107, 1980.
- T. R. Chay, “On the effect of the intracellular calcium-sensitive K+ channel in the bursting pancreatic β-cell,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 765–777, 1986.
- D. M. Himmel and T. R. Chay, “Theoretical studies on the electrical activity of pancreatic β-cells as a function of glucose,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 89–107, 1987.
- T. R. Chay, “Effect of compartmentalized Ca2+ ions on electrical bursting activity of pancreatic β-cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 258, no. 5, pp. C955–C965, 1990.
- J. Keizer and P. Smolen, “Bursting electrical activity in pancreatic β cells caused by Ca2+ and voltage-inactivated Ca2+ channels,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 3897–3901, 1991.
- M. Pernarowski, “Fast and slow subsystems for a continuum model of bursting activity in the pancreatic islet,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1667–1687, 1998.
- A. Sherman and J. Rinzel, “Model for synchronization of pancreatic β-cells by gap junction coupling,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 547–559, 1991.
- C. L. Stokes and J. Rinzel, “Diffusion of extracellular K+ can synchronize bursting oscillations in a model islet of Langerhans,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 597–607, 1993.
- G. De Vries and A. Sherman, “Channel sharing in pancreatic β-cells revisited: enhancement of emergent bursting by noise,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 207, no. 4, pp. 513–530, 2000.
- J. M. W. Van De Weem, J. G. B. Ramírez, R. Femat, and H. Nijmeijer, “Conditions for synchronization and chaos in networks of β-cells,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IFAC Conference on Analysis and Control of Chaotic Systems (CHAOS '09), pp. 176–181, June 2009.
- L. J. Ontañón-Garcìa, E. Campos-Cantón, R. Femat, I. Campos-Cantón, and M. Bonilla-Marìn, “Multivalued synchronization by poincaré coupling,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation. In press.
- P. M. Beigelman, B. Ribalet, and I. Atwater, “Electrical activity of mouse pancreatic β cells. II. Effects of glucose and arginine,” Journal de Physiologie, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 201–217, 1977.
- A. Sherman, J. Rinzel, and J. Keizer, “Emergence of organized bursting in clusters of pancreatic β-cells by channel sharing,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 411–425, 1988.