- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 687472, 14 pages
Effects of Calcium-Channel Noise on Dynamics of Excitation-Contraction Coupling in Paced Cardiac Cells
Department of Mathematics, MOE-LSC, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
Received 21 June 2013; Revised 19 August 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: Daniele Fournier-Prunaret
Copyright © 2013 Jiying Ma and Dongmei Xiao. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. R. Laurita and D. S. Rosenbaum, “Cellular mechanisms of arrhythmogenic cardiac alternans,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 97, no. 2-3, pp. 332–347, 2008.
- A. Karma, “Electrical alternans and spiral wave breakup in cardiac tissue,” Chaos, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 461–472, 1994.
- Y. Shiferaw, Z. Qu, A. Garfinkel, A. Karma, and J. N. Weiss, “Nonlinear dynamics of paced cardiac cells,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1080, pp. 376–394, 2006.
- J. I. Goldhaber, L. H. Xie, T. Duong, C. Motter, K. Khuu, and J. N. Weiss, “Action potential duration restitution and alternans in rabbit ventricular myocytes: the key role of intracellular calcium cycling,” Circulation Research, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 459–466, 2005.
- M. L. Walker and D. S. Rosenbaum, “Repolarization alternans: implications for the mechanism and prevention of sudden cardiac death,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 599–614, 2003.
- D. M. Bers, “Cardiac excitation contraction coupling,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6868, pp. 198–205, 2002.
- Y. Shiferaw, M. A. Watanabe, A. Garfinkel, J. N. Weiss, and A. Karma, “Model of intracellular calcium cycling in ventricular myocytes,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 3666–3686, 2003.
- Z. Qu, Y. Shiferaw, and J. N. Weiss, “Nonlinear dynamics of cardiac excitation-contraction coupling: an iterated map study,” Physical Review E, vol. 75, no. 1, Article ID 011927, 13 pages, 2007.
- Y. Shiferaw and A. Karma, “Turing instability mediated by voltage and calcium diffusion in paced cardiac cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 15, pp. 5670–5675, 2006.
- Y. Shiferaw, D. Sato, and A. Karma, “Coupled dynamics of voltage and calcium in paced cardiac cells,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, no. 2, Article ID 021903, 5 pages, 2005.
- E. Chudin, J. Goldhaber, A. Garfinkel, J. Weiss, and B. Kogan, “Intracellular Ca2+ dynamics and the stability of ventricular tachycardia,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 2930–2941, 1999.
- D. E. Euler, “Cardiac alternans: mechanisms and pathophysiological significance,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 583–590, 1999.
- C. H. Luo and Y. Rudy, “A dynamic model of the cardiac ventricular action potential. I. Simulations of ionic currents and concentration changes,” Circulation Research, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 1071–1096, 1994.
- J. B. Nolasco and R. W. Dahlen, “A graphic method for the study of alternation in cardiac action potentials,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 1968.
- M. R. Guevara, L. Glass, and A. Shrier, “Phase locking, period-doubling bifurcations, and irregular dynamics in periodically stimulated cardiac cells,” Science, vol. 214, no. 4527, pp. 1350–1353, 1981.
- R. Thul and S. Coombes, “Understanding cardiac alternans: a piecewise linear modeling framework,” Chaos, vol. 20, no. 4, Article ID 045102, 13 pages, 2010.
- D. Sato, L. H. Xie, T. P. Nguyen, J. N. Weiss, and Z. Qu, “Irregularly appearing early afterdepolarizations in cardiac myocytes: random fluctuations or dynamical chaos?” Biophysical Journal, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 765–773, 2010.
- C. Lerma, T. Krogh-Madsen, M. Guevara, and L. Glass, “Stochastic aspects of cardiac arrhythmias,” Journal of Statistical Physics, vol. 128, no. 1-2, pp. 347–374, 2007.
- H. Cheng, W. J. Lederer, and M. B. Cannell, “Calcium sparks: elementary events underlying excitation-contraction coupling in heart muscle,” Science, vol. 262, no. 5134, pp. 740–744, 1993.
- M. Zaniboni, A. E. Pollard, L. Yang, and K. W. Spitzer, “Beat-to-beat repolarization variability in ventricular myocytes and its suppression by electrical coupling,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 278, no. 3, pp. H677–H687, 2000.
- A. J. Tanskanen and L. H. R. Alvarez, “Voltage noise influences action potential duration in cardiac myocytes,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 125–146, 2007.
- D. Sato, L. H. Xie, A. A. Sovari et al., “Synchronization of chaotic early afterdepolarizations in the genesis of cardiac arrhythmias,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 2983–2988, 2009.
- A. J. Tanskanen, J. L. Greenstein, B. O'Rourke, and R. L. Winslow, “The role of stochastic and modal gating of cardiac L-type Ca2+ channels on early after-depolarizations,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 85–95, 2005.
- J. W. Shuai and P. Jung, “Stochastic properties of Ca2+ release of inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor clusters,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 87–97, 2002.
- H. Zmarrou and A. J. Homburg, “Bifurcations of stationary measures of random diffeomorphisms,” Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1651–1692, 2007.
- X. Cui, R. J. Rovetti, L. Yang, A. Garfinkel, J. N. Weiss, and Z. Qu, “Period-doubling bifurcation in an array of coupled stochastically excitable elements subjected to global periodic forcing,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 103, no. 4, Article ID 044102, 4 pages, 2009.
- C. Robinson, Dynamical Systems, Stability, Symbolic Dynamics and Chaos, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- Y. A. Kuznetsov, Elements of Applied Bifurcation Theory, LLC, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2004.
- C. H. Lee, T. H. Yoon, and S. Y. Shin, “Period doubling and chaos in a directly modulated laser diode,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 95–97, 1985.
- X. Liu and D. Xiao, “Bifurcations in a discrete time Lotka-Volterra predator-prey system,” Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems B, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 559–572, 2006.
- N. F. Otani and R. F. Gilmour Jr., “Memory models for the electrical properties of local cardiac systems,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 409–436, 1997.
- H. Bien, L. Yin, and E. Entcheva, “Calcium instabilities in mammalian cardiomyocyte networks,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 2628–2640, 2006.
- S. M. Kay and S. L. Marple Jr., “Spectrum analysis—a modern perspective,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 1380–1419, 1981.
- J. Ripa, P. Lundberg, and V. Kaitala, “A general theory of environmental noise in ecological food webs,” American Naturalist, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 256–263, 1998.
- K. Hall, D. J. Christini, M. Tremblay, J. J. Collins, L. Glass, and J. Billette, “Dynamic control of cardiac alternans,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 78, no. 23, pp. 4518–4521, 1997.
- A. M. Bianchi, L. Mainardi, E. Petrucci, M. G. Signorini, M. Mainardi, and S. Cerutti, “Time-variant power spectrum analysis for the detection of transient episodes in HRV signal,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 136–144, 1993.
- W. G. Wier, A. A. Kort, and M. D. Stern, “Cellular calcium fluctuations in mammalian heart: direct evidence from noise analysis of aequorin signals in Purkinje fibers,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 80, no. 23, pp. 7367–7371, 1983.
- S. Akselrod, D. Gordon, F. A. Ubel, et al., “Power spectrum analysis of heart rate fluctuation: a quantitative probe of beat-to-beat cardiovascular control,” Science, vol. 213, no. 4504, pp. 220–222, 1981.