- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 850512, 14 pages
Proteomic Analysis Reveals the Deregulation of Inflammation-Related Proteins in Acupuncture-Treated Rats with Asthma Onset
1Molecular Biology Laboratory, Shanghai Research Institute of Acupuncture and Meridian,
Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200030, China
2Yue Yang Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200437, China
Received 29 June 2012; Revised 16 September 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Alvin J. Beitz
Copyright © 2012 Yu-Dong Xu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA), GINA Report, Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention, 2010, http://www.ginasthma.org.
- K. Bahadori, M. M. Doyle-Waters, C. Marra et al., “Economic burden of asthma: a systematic review,” BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 9, article 24, 2009.
- C. Fang, C. J. Corrigan, and S. Ying, “The treatment targets of asthma: from laboratory to clinic,” Inflammation & Allergy Drug Targets, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 119–128, 2008.
- P. J. Barnes, “New therapies for asthma: is there any progress?” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 335–343, 2010.
- L. A. Marino and J. Shen, “Characteristics of complementary and alternative medicine use among adults with current asthma, 2006,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 521–525, 2010.
- “Use of acupuncture in modern health care,” WHO Chron, vol. 280, no. 7-8, pp. 294–301, 1980.
- “NIH consensus conference. acupuncture,” JAMA, vol. 280, no. 17, pp. 1518–1524, 1998.
- Y. Q. Yang, H. P. Chen, Y. Wang, L. M. Yin, Y. D. Xu, and J. Ran, “Considerations for use of acupuncture as supplemental therapy for patients with allergic asthma,” Clinical Reviews in Allergy and Immunology. In press.
- S. Joos, C. Schott, H. Zou, V. Daniel, and E. Martin, “Immunomodulatory effects of acupuncture in the treatment of allergic asthma: a randomized controlled study,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 519–525, 2000.
- E. R. Carneiro, R. A. N. Xavier, M. A. P. D. Castro, C. M. O. D. Nascimento, and V. L. F. Silveira, “Electroacupuncture promotes a decrease in inflammatory response associated with Th1/Th2 cytokines, nitric oxide and leukotriene B4 modulation in experimental asthma,” Cytokine, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 2010.
- E. R. Carneiro, C. R. W. Carneiro, M. A. P. De Castro, Y. Yamamura, and V. L. F. Silveira, “Effect of electroacupuncture on bronchial asthma induced by ovalbumin in rats,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 127–134, 2005.
- F. J. Zijlstra, I. Van Den Berg-De Lange, F. J. P. M. Huygen, and J. Klein, “Anti-inflammatory actions of acupuncture,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 59–69, 2003.
- H. J. Sung, Y. S. Kim, I. S. Kim et al., “Proteomic analysis of differential protein expression in neuropathic pain and electroacupuncture treatment models,” Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 2805–2813, 2004.
- S. Jeon, J. K. Youn, S. T. Kim et al., “Proteomic analysis of the neuroprotective mechanisms of acupuncture treatment in a Parkinson's disease mouse model,” Proteomics, vol. 8, no. 22, pp. 4822–4832, 2008.
- W. J. Li, S. Q. Pan, Y. S. Zeng et al., “Identification of acupuncture-specific proteins in the process of electro-acupuncture after spinal cord injury,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 307–316, 2010.
- L. M. Yin, G. H. Jiang, Y. Wang et al., “Use of serial analysis of gene expression to reveal the specific regulation of gene expression profile in asthmatic rats treated by acupuncture,” Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 16, no. 1, article 46, 2009.
- L. M. Yin, G. H. Jiang, Y. Wang et al., “Serial analysis of gene expression in a rat lung model of asthma,” Respirology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 972–982, 2008.
- Y. D. Xu, J. M. Cui, Y. Wang et al., “The early asthmatic response is associated with glycolysis, calcium binding and mitochondria activity as revealed by proteomic analysis in rats,” Respiratory Research, vol. 11, article 107, 2010.
- L. J. Jensen, M. Kuhn, M. Stark et al., “STRING 8—a global view on proteins and their functional interactions in 630 organisms,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. D412–D416, 2009.
- H. Maillard-Lefebvre, E. Boulanger, M. Daroux, C. Gaxatte, B. I. Hudson, and M. Lambert, “Soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products: a new biomarker in diagnosis and prognosis of chronic inflammatory diseases,” Rheumatology, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1190–1196, 2009.
- T. Uchida, M. Shirasawa, L. B. Ware et al., “Receptor for advanced glycation end-products is a marker of type I cell injury in acute lung injury,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 173, no. 9, pp. 1008–1015, 2006.
- T. C. Medici, E. Grebski, J. Wu, G. Hinz, and B. Wüthrich, “Acupuncture and bronchial asthma: a long-term randomized study of the effects of real versus sham acupuncture compared to controls in patients with bronchial asthma,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 737–750, 2002.
- C. R. Schott and E. Martin, “Controlled trial of acupuncture in the treatment of bronchial asthma,” Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 91–92, 2001.
- C. Gebhardt, J. Németh, P. Angel, and J. Hess, “S100A8 and S100A9 in inflammation and cancer,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 1622–1631, 2006.
- A. J. Halayko and S. Ghavami, “S100A8/A9: a mediator of severe asthma pathogenesis and morbidity?” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 743–755, 2009.
- R. Donato, “Intracellular and extracellular roles of S100 proteins,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 540–551, 2003.
- A. Hermani, B. De Servi, S. Medunjanin, P. A. Tessier, and D. Mayer, “S100A8 and S100A9 activate MAP kinase and NF-κB signaling pathways and trigger translocation of RAGE in human prostate cancer cells,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 312, no. 2, pp. 184–197, 2006.
- K. Sunahori, M. Yamamura, J. Yamana et al., “The S100A8/A9 heterodimer amplifies proinflammatory cytokine production by macrophages via activation of nuclear factor kappa B and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 8, no. 3, article R69, 2006.
- J. Wu, M. Kobayashi, E. A. Sousa et al., “Differential proteomic analysis of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in asthmatics following segmental antigen challenge,” Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1251–1264, 2005.
- K. J. Greenlee, D. B. Corry, D. A. Engler et al., “Proteomic identification of in vivo substrates for matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 reveals a mechanism for resolution of inflammation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 10, pp. 7312–7321, 2006.
- Y. Chen, S. S. Yan, J. Colgan et al., “Blockade of late stages of autoimmune diabetes by inhibition of the receptor for advanced glycation end products,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 1399–1405, 2004.
- E. Leclerc, G. Fritz, S. W. Vetter, and C. W. Heizmann, “Binding of S100 proteins to RAGE: an update,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1793, no. 6, pp. 993–1007, 2009.
- S. Ghavami, I. Rashedi, B. M. Dattilo et al., “S100A8/A9 at low concentration promotes tumor cell growth via RAGE ligation and MAP kinase-dependent pathway,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1484–1492, 2008.
- J. H. Boyd, B. Kan, H. Roberts, Y. Wang, and K. R. Walley, “S100A8 and S100A9 mediate endotoxin-induced cardiomyocyte dysfunction via the receptor for advanced glycation end products,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1239–1246, 2008.
- A. M. Karam, L. M. Nayak, and S. M. Lam, “Short-scar purse-string facelift,” Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 549–556, 2009.
- A. B. Mukherjee, Z. Zhang, and B. S. Chilton, “Uteroglobin: a steroid-inducible immunomodulatory protein that founded the secretoglobin superfamily,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 707–725, 2007.
- C. F. Lee, “Thermal breakage of a discrete one-dimensional string,” Physical Review E Statistical Nonlinear Soft Matter Physics, vol. 80, no. 3, part 1, Article ID 031134, 2009.
- K. Arsalane, F. Broeckaert, B. Knoops, M. Wiedig, G. Toubeau, and A. Bernard, “Clara cell specific protein (CC16) expression after acute lung inflammation induced by intratracheal lipopolysaccharide administration,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 1624–1630, 2000.
- S. Z. Wang, C. L. Rosenberger, T. M. Espindola et al., “CCSP modulates airway dysfunction and host responses in an Ova-challenged mouse model,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 5, pp. L1303–L1311, 2001.
- L. C. Chen, Z. Zhang, A. C. Myers, and S. K. Huang, “Cutting edge: altered pulmonary eosinophilic inflammation in mice deficient for clara cell secretory 10-kDa protein,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 167, no. 6, pp. 3025–3028, 2001.
- C. R. Levine, I. H. Gewolb, K. Allen et al., “Safety, pharmacokinetics, and anti-inflammatory effects of intratracheal recombinant human Clara cell protein in premature infants with respiratory distress syndrome,” Pediatric Research, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2005.
- T. L. Miller, B. N. Shashikant, A. L. Pilon, R. A. Pierce, T. H. Shaffer, and M. R. Wolfson, “Effects of an intratracheally delivered anti-inflammatory protein (rhCC10) on physiological and lung structural indices in a juvenile model of acute lung injury,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 159–170, 2006.
- A. Saha, Y. C. Lee, Z. Zhang, G. Chandra, S. B. Su, and A. B. Mukherjee, “Lack of an endogenous anti-inflammatory protein in mice enhances colonization of B16F10 melanoma cells in the lungs,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 14, pp. 10822–10831, 2010.
- D. Schaafsma, R. Gosens, J. Zaagsma, A. J. Halayko, and H. Meurs, “Rho kinase inhibitors: a novel therapeutical intervention in asthma?” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 585, no. 2-3, pp. 398–406, 2008.
- F. Taki, H. Kume, T. Kobayashi, H. Ohta, H. Aratake, and K. Shimokata, “Effects of Rho-kinase inactivation on eosinophilia and hyper-reactivity in murine airways by allergen challenges,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 599–607, 2007.
- D. Schaafsma, I. S. T. Bos, A. B. Zuidhof, J. Zaagsma, and H. Meurs, “The inhaled Rho kinase inhibitor Y-27632 protects against allergen-induced acute bronchoconstriction, airway hyperresponsiveness, and inflammation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. L214–L219, 2008.
- H. J. Cho, K. E. Baek, and J. Yoo, “RhoGDI2 as a therapeutic target in cancer,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2010.
- H. Zhang, S. Tasaka, Y. Shiraishi et al., “Role of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products on endotoxin-induced lung injury,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 178, no. 4, pp. 356–362, 2008.
- V. Gerke and S. E. Moss, “Annexins: from structure to function,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 331–371, 2002.
- M. M. Ewing, M. de Vries, M. Nordzell, et al., “Annexin A5 reduces inflammation mediated vascular remodelling and post-interventional atherosclerosis and improves vascular function in hypercholesterolemic mice,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 18, pp. S1113–S1113, 2009.
- Y. Wang, S. A. Phelan, Y. Manevich, S. I. Feinstein, and A. B. Fisher, “Transgenic mice overexpressing peroxiredoxin 6 show increased resistance to lung injury in hyperoxia,” American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 481–486, 2006.