- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 915953, 11 pages
Artemisia iwayomogi Extract Attenuates High-Fat Diet-Induced Obesity by Decreasing the Expression of Genes Associated with Adipogenesis in Mice
1Department of Food and Nutrition, Yonsei University, 50 Yonsei-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-749, Republic of Korea
2College of Pharmacy, Chung-Ang University, 221 Heuksuk-Dong, dongjak-gu, Seoul 156-756, Republic of Korea
Received 17 October 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editor: Ravirajsinh N. Jadeja
Copyright © 2013 Yeji Choi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Rangwala and M. A. Lazar, “Transcriptional control of adipogenesis,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 20, pp. 535–559, 2000.
- H. M. Lakka, D. E. Laaksonen, T. A. Lakka et al., “The metabolic syndrome and total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 21, pp. 2709–2716, 2002.
- M. Perley and D. M. Kipnis, “Plasma insulin responses to glucose and tolbutamide of normal weight and obese diabetic and nondiabetic subjects,” Diabetes, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 867–874, 1966.
- S. Kim, Y. Jin, Y. Choi, and T. Park, “Resveratrol exerts anti-obesity effects via mechanisms involving down-regulation of adipogenic and inflammatory processes in mice,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 1343–1351, 2011.
- T. Yamauchi, H. Waki, J. Kamon et al., “Inhibition of RXR and PPARγ ameliorates diet-induced obesity and type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 1001–1013, 2001.
- N. D. Wang, M. J. Finegold, A. Bradley et al., “Impaired energy homeostasis in C/EBPα knockout mice,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5227, pp. 1108–1112, 1995.
- E. Bertin, P. Nguyen, M. Guenounou, V. Durlach, G. Potron, and M. Leutenegger, “Plasma levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) are essentially dependent on visceral fat amount in type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 178–182, 2000.
- J. N. Fain, A. K. Madan, M. L. Hiler, P. Cheema, and S. W. Bahouth, “Comparison of the release of adipokines by adipose tissue, adipose tissue matrix, and adipocytes from visceral and subcutaneous abdominal adipose tissues of obese humans,” Endocrinology, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 2273–2282, 2004.
- G. S. Hotamisligil, N. S. Shargill, and B. M. Spiegelman, “Adipose expression of tumor necrosis factor-α: direct role in obesity-linked insulin resistance,” Science, vol. 259, no. 5091, pp. 87–91, 1993.
- H. Xu, G. T. Barnes, Q. Yang et al., “Chronic inflammation in fat plays a crucial role in the development of obesity-related insulin resistance,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1821–1830, 2003.
- M. Maachi, L. Piéroni, E. Bruckert et al., “Systemic low-grade inflammation is related to both circulating and adipose tissue TNFα, leptin and IL-6 levels in obese women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 993–997, 2004.
- S. J. Kim, Y. Choi, and Y. H. Choi, “Obesity activates toll-like receptor-mediated proinflammatory signaling cascades in the adipose tissue of mice,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 113–122, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, C. H. Choi, S. Y. Kim, J. S. Eun, and T. Y. Shin, “Anti-allergic effects of Artemisia iwayomogi on mast cell-mediated allergy model,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 230, no. 1, pp. 82–88, 2005.
- H. J. Ji, H. K. Yeo, N. H. Lee et al., “A carbohydrate fraction, AIP1, from Artemisia iwayomogi down-regulates Fas gene expression and suppresses apoptotic death of the thymocytes induced by 2,3,7,8-tectrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 253–257, 2005.
- J. S. Hwang, H. J. Ji, K. A. Koo et al., “AIP1, a water-soluble fraction from Artemisia iwayomogi, suppresses thymocyte apoptosis in vitro and down-regulates the expression of fas gene,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 921–924, 2005.
- Y. Ding, J. A. Kim, S. Y. Yang, W. K. Kim, S. H. Lee, and H. D. Jang, “Antioxidative sesquiterpenes from Artemisia iwayomogi,” Notes, vol. 32, no. 9, p. 3493, 2011.
- N. Sang-Myung, H. Seung-Shi, O. Duk-Hwan, K. Il-Jun, and L. Sang-Young, “Effects of Artemisia iwayomogi kitamura ethanol extract on lowering serum and liver lipids in rats,” Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 338–343, 1998.
- S. Y. Cho, H. W. Jeong, J. H. Sohn, D. B. Seo, and W. G. Kim, “An ethanol extract of Artemisia iwayomogi activates PPARdelta leading to activation of fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscle,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e33815, 2012.
- J. Folch, M. Folch, and G. H. Sloane Stanley, “A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 497–509, 1957.
- M. Mapfei, J. Halaas, E. Ravussin et al., “Leptin levels in human and rodent: measurement of plasma leptin and ob RNA in obese and weight-reduced subjects,” Nature Medicine, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 1155–1161, 1995.
- G. Wang, X. Liu, K. K. Christoffel et al., “Prediabetes is not all about obesity: association between plasma leptin and prediabetes in lean rural Chinese adults,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 163, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 2010.
- N. Kubota, Y. Terauchi, H. Miki et al., “PPARγ mediates high-fat diet-induced adipocyte hypertrophy and insulin resistance,” Molecular Cell, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 597–609, 1999.
- A. V. Hertzel and D. A. Bernlohr, “Regulation of adipocyte gene expression by polyunsaturated fatty acids,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 188, no. 1-2, pp. 33–39, 1998.
- P. Tontonoz, E. Hu, R. A. Graves, A. I. Budavari, and B. M. Spiegelman, “mPPARγ2: tissue-specific regulator of an adipocyte enhancer,” Genes and Development, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1224–1234, 1994.
- P. Tontonoz, L. Nagy, J. G. A. Alvarez, V. A. Thomazy, and R. M. Evans, “PPARγ promotes monocyte/macrophage differentiation and uptake of oxidized LDL,” Cell, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 241–252, 1998.
- J. Phan, M. Péterfy, and K. Reue, “Lipin expression preceding peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ is critical for adipogenesis in vivo and in vitro,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 28, pp. 29558–29564, 2004.
- H. S. Sul and D. Wang, “Nutritional and hormonal regulation of enzymes in fat synthesis: studies of fatty acid synthase and mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase gene transcription,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 18, pp. 331–351, 1998.
- C. T. Coburn, F. F. Knapp Jr., M. Febbraio, A. L. Beets, R. L. Silverstein, and N. A. Abumrad, “Defective uptake and utilization of long chain fatty acids in muscle and adipose tissues of CD36 knockout mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 42, pp. 32523–32529, 2000.
- I. Tzameli, H. Fang, M. Ollero et al., “Regulated production of a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ ligand during an early phase of adipocyte differentiation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 34, pp. 36093–36102, 2004.
- G. Boden, “Obesity and free fatty acids,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 635–646, 2008.
- H. Ruan, N. Hacohen, T. R. Golub, L. Van Parijs, and H. F. Lodish, “Tumor necrosis factor-α suppresses adipocyte-specific genes and activates expression of preadipocyte genes in 3T3-L1 adipocytes: nuclear factor-κB activation by TNF-α is obligatory,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1319–1336, 2002.
- T. Suganami, J. Nishida, and Y. Ogawa, “A paracrine loop between adipocytes and macrophages aggravates inflammatory changes: role of free fatty acids and tumor necrosis factor α,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2062–2068, 2005.
- J. V. Castell, M. J. Gomez-Lechon, M. David, R. Fabra, R. Trullenque, and P. C. Heinrich, “Acute-phase response of human hepatocytes: regulation of acute-phase protein synthesis by interleukin-6,” Hepatology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1179–1186, 1990.
- S. A. Burstein, J. Peng, P. Friese et al., “Cytokine-induced alteration of platelet and hemostatic function,” Stem Cells, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 154–162, 1996.
- H. Kanda, S. Tateya, Y. Tamori et al., “MCP-1 contributes to macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, insulin resistance, and hepatic steatosis in obesity,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 1494–1505, 2006.
- T. Sareneva, S. Matikainen, M. Kurimoto, and I. Julkunen, “Influenza A virus-induced IFN-α/β and IL-18 synergistically enhance IFN-γ gene expression in human T cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 160, no. 12, pp. 6032–6038, 1998.
- D. E. Moller, “Potential role of TNF-α in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 212–217, 2000.
- P. J. Klover, T. A. Zimmers, L. G. Koniaris, and R. A. Mooney, “Chronic exposure to interleukin-6 causes hepatic insulin resistance in mice,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 2784–2789, 2003.
- N. Kamei, K. Tobe, R. Suzuki et al., “Overexpression of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in adipose tissues causes macrophage recruitment and insulin resistance,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 36, pp. 26602–26614, 2006.
- R. Feinstein, H. Kanety, M. Z. Papa, B. Lunenfeld, and A. Karasik, “Tumor necrosis factor-α suppresses insulin-induced tyrosine phosphorylation of insulin receptor and its substrates,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 35, pp. 26055–26058, 1993.
- B. Cohen, D. Novick, and M. Rubinstein, “Modulation of insulin activities by leptin,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5290, pp. 1185–1188, 1996.
- Z. Zhao, Y. Hu, Z. Liang, J. P. S. Yuen, Z. Jiang, and K. S. Y. Leung, “Authentication is fundamental for standardization of Chinese medicines,” Planta Medica, vol. 72, no. 10, pp. 865–874, 2006.
- A. R. Kim, Y. N. Zou, T. H. Park et al., “Active components from Artemisia iwayomogi displaying ONOO-scavenging activity,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- H. H. Yu, Y. H. Kim, B. S. Kil, K. J. Kim, S. I. Jeong, and Y. O. You, “Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oil of Artemisia iwayomogi,” Planta Medica, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 1159–1162, 2003.
- Y. Ding, C. Liang, S. Y. Yang et al., “Phenolic compounds from Artemisia iwayomogi and their effects on osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1448–1453, 2010.
- J. M. Han, H. G. Kim, M. K. Choi, et al., “Aqueous extract of Artemisia iwayomogi Kitamura attenuates cholestatic liver fibrosis in a rat model of bile duct ligation,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 3505–3513, 2012.
- J. H. Wang, M. K. Choi, J. W. Shin, S. Y. Hwang, and C. G. Son, “Antifibrotic effects of Artemisia capillaris and Artemisia iwayomogi in a carbon tetrachloride-induced chronic hepatic fibrosis animal model,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 179–185, 2012.
- E. Shin, K. M. Choi, H. S. Yoo, C. K. Lee, B. Y. Hwang, and M. K. Lee, “Inhibitory effects of coumarins from the stem barks of fraxinus rhynchophylla on adipocyte differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1610–1614, 2010.
- J. T. Hwang, S. H. Kim, H. J. Hur, et al., “Decursin, an active compound isolated from Angelica gigas, inhibits fat accumulation, reduces adipocytokine secretion and improves glucose tolerance in mice fed a high-fat diet,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 633–638, 2012.
- S. K. Dharmarajan and K. M. Arumugam, “Comparative evaluation of flavone from Mucuna pruriens and coumarin from Ionidium suffruticosum for hypolipidemic activity in rats fed with high Fat diet,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 11, article 126, 2012.