- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924541, 15 pages
Electroacupuncture Could Regulate the NF-B Signaling Pathway to Ameliorate the Inflammatory Injury in Focal Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Model Rats
1Department of Neurology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
2Chongqing Key Laboratory of Neurology, 1 Youyi Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing 400016, China
3Department of Neurology, Affiliated Hospital of Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou, Sichuan Province 64600, China
4Department of Oncology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, China
Received 23 January 2013; Revised 10 June 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Lijun Bai
Copyright © 2013 Wen-yi Qin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Macrez, C. Ali, O. Toutirais et al., “Stroke and the immune system: from pathophysiology to new therapeutic strategies,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 471–480, 2011.
- C. Iadecola and J. Anrather, “The immunology of stroke: from mechanisms to translation,” Nature Medicine, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 796–808, 2011.
- P. J. Lindsberg and A. J. Grau, “Inflammation and infections as risk factors for ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 2518–2532, 2003.
- L. L. Kate, B. Knut, and F. Bente, “Inflammatory cytokines in experimental and human stroke,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism, vol. 27, pp. 1–22, 2012.
- D. A. Ridder and M. Schwaninger, “NF-κB signaling in cerebral ischemia,” Neuroscience, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 995–1006, 2009.
- A. Kumar, Y. Takada, A. M. Boriek, and B. B. Aggarwal, “Nuclear factor-κB: its role in health and disease,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 434–448, 2004.
- R. G. Baker, M. S. Hayden, and S. Ghosh, “NF-κB, inflammation, and metabolic disease,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 11–22, 2011.
- G. A. Donnan, M. Fisher, M. Macleod, and S. M. Davis, “Stroke,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9624, pp. 1612–1623, 2008.
- B. Kavoussi and B. E. Ross, “The neuroimmune basis of anti-inflammatory acupuncture,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 251–257, 2007.
- D. C. Choi, J. Y. Lee, E. J. Lim, H. H. Baik, T. H. Oh, and T. Y. Yune, “Inhibition of ROS-induced p38MAPK and ERK activation in microglia by acupuncture relieves neuropathic pain after spinal cord injury in rats,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 236, pp. 268–228, 2012.
- X. Fu, Y.-Q. Wang, J. Wang, J. Yu, and G.-C. Wu, “Changes in expression of nociceptin/orphanin FQ and its receptor in spinal dorsal horn during electroacupuncture treatment for peripheral inflammatory pain in rats,” Peptides, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1220–1228, 2007.
- F. J. Zijlstra, I. Van Den Berg-De Lange, F. J. P. M. Huygen, and J. Klein, “Anti-inflammatory actions of acupuncture,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 59–69, 2003.
- M. Pizzi, F. Goffi, F. Boroni et al., “Opposing roles for NF-κB/Rel factors p65 and c-Rel in the modulation of neuron survival elicited by glutamate and interleukin-1β,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 23, pp. 20717–20723, 2002.
- A. Schneider, A. Martin-Villalba, F. Weih, J. Vogel, T. Wirth, and M. Schwaninger, “NF-κB is activated and promotes cell death in focal, cerebral ischemia,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 554–559, 1999.
- S. Ghosh and M. Karin, “Missing pieces in the NF-κB puzzle,” Cell, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. S81–S96, 2002.
- M. S. Hayden and S. Ghosh, “Shared principles in NF-κB signaling,” Cell, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 344–362, 2008.
- L.-W. Chen, L. Egan, Z.-W. Li, F. R. Greten, M. F. Kagnoff, and M. Karin, “The two faces of IKK and NF-κB inhibition: prevention of systemic inflammation but increased local injury following intestinal ischemia-reperfusion,” Nature Medicine, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 575–581, 2003.
- H. Häcker and M. Karin, “Regulation and function of IKK and IKK-related kinases,” Science's STKE, vol. 2006, no. 357, p. re13, 2006.
- I. Strickland and S. Ghosh, “Use of cell permeable NBD peptides for suppression of inflammation,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 75–82, 2006.
- S. Dai, T. Hirayama, S. Abbas, and Y. Abu-Amer, “The IκB kinase (IKK) inhibitor, NEMO-binding domain peptide, blocks osteoclastogenesis and bone erosion in inflammatory arthritis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 36, pp. 37219–37222, 2004.
- E. Z. Longa, P. R. Weinstein, S. Carlson, and R. Cummins, “Reversible middle cerebral artery occlusion without craniectomy in rats,” Stroke, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 84–91, 1989.
- Q. Wang, L. Xiong, S. Chen, Y. Liu, and X. Zhu, “Rapid tolerance to focal cerebral ischemia in rats is induced by preconditioning with electroacupuncture: window of protection and the role of adenosine,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 381, no. 1-2, pp. 158–162, 2005.
- A. Buchan and W. A. Pulsinelli, “Hypothermia but not the N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist, MK-801, attenuates neuronal damage in gerbils subjected to transient global ischemia,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 311–316, 1990.
- R. Busto, W. D. Dietrich, M. Globus y.t., I. Valdes, P. Scheinberg, and M. D. Ginsberg, “Small differences in intraischemic brain temperature critically determine the extent of ischemic neuronal injury,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 729–738, 1987.
- J. C. Clohisy, Y. Yamanaka, R. Faccio, and Y. Abu-Amer, “Inhibition of IKK activation, through sequestering NEMO, blocks PMMA-induced osteoclastogenesis and calvarial inflammatory osteolysis,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1358–1365, 2006.
- J. H. Garcia, S. Wagner, K.-F. Liu, X.-J. Hu, and J. P. Mohr, “Neurological deficit and extent of neuronal necrosis attributable to middle cerebral artery occlusion in rats: statistical validation,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 627–635, 1995.
- J. B. Bederson, L. H. Pitts, and S. M. Germano, “Evaluation of 2,3,5-triphenyltetrazolium chloride as a stain for detection and quantification of experimental cerebral infarction in rats,” Stroke, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1304–1308, 1986.
- Q. Wang, Y. Peng, S. Chen et al., “Pretreatment with electroacupuncture induces rapid tolerance to focal cerebral ischemia through regulation of endocannabinoid system,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2157–2164, 2009.
- K. M. Kolodziejska, M. H. Noyan-Ashraf, A. Nagy et al., “c-Myb-dependent smooth muscle cell differentiation,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 554–561, 2008.
- R. B. Borgens and P. Liu-Snyder, “Understanding secondary injury,” Quarterly Review of Biology, vol. 87, pp. 89–127, 2012.
- S. Takashi, S. Ryota, S. Mayu, and Y. Akihiko, “Post-ischemic inflammation in the brain,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 3, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- H. Boutin, R. A. LeFeuvre, R. Horai, M. Asano, Y. Iwakura, and N. J. Rothwell, “Role of IL-1α and IL-1β in ischemic brain damage,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 15, pp. 5528–5534, 2001.
- A. Minty, P. Chalon, J.-M. Derocq et al., “Interleukin-13 is a new human lymphokine regulating inflammatory and immune responses,” Nature, vol. 362, no. 6417, pp. 248–250, 1993.
- C. Jobin and R. Balfour Sartor, “The IκB/NF-κB system: a key determinant of mucosal inflammation and protection,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 278, no. 3, pp. C451–C462, 2000.
- J. L. Pomerantz and D. Baltimore, “Two pathways to NF-κB,” Molecular Cell, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 693–695, 2002.
- S. Gerondakis, R. Grumont, R. Gugasyan et al., “Unravelling the complexities of the NF-κB signalling pathway using mouse knockout and transgenic models,” Oncogene, vol. 25, no. 51, pp. 6781–6799, 2006.
- M. Pasparakis, T. Luedde, and M. Schmidt-Supprian, “Dissection of the NF-κB signalling cascade in transgenic and knockout mice,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 861–872, 2006.
- M. S. Hayden and S. Ghosh, “Signaling to NF-κB,” Genes and Development, vol. 18, no. 18, pp. 2195–2224, 2004.
- F. Wan and M. J. Lenardo, “Specification of DNA binding activity of NF-kappaB proteins,” Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, vol. 1, no. 4, Article ID a000067, 2009.
- T. Lawrence and M. Bebien, “IKKα in the regulation of inflammation and adaptive immunity,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 270–272, 2007.