- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 394829, 9 pages
Building Intercultural Competence One “Patch” at a Time
1Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
2School of Cultural and Professional Learning, Faculty of Education, Queensland University of Technology, Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, QLD 4059, Australia
Received 22 May 2012; Revised 17 November 2012; Accepted 27 November 2012
Academic Editor: Bernhard Schmidt-Hertha
Copyright © 2013 Rebecca Spooner-Lane et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. K. Deardorff, “Identification and assessment of intercultural competence as a student outcome of internationalization,” Journal of Studies in International Education, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 241–266, 2006.
- W. Freeland, “Waving the flag overseas,” http://www.campusreview.com.au/, 2011.
- G. Harman, “New directions in internationalizing higher education: Australias's development as an exporter of higher education services,” Higher Education Policy, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 101–120, 2004.
- S. A. Eisenchlas and S. Trevaskes, “Developing intercultural communication skills through intergroup interaction,” Intercultural Education, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 413–425, 2007.
- R. L. Wiseman, “Intercultural communication competence,” December 2001, http://www.commfaculty.cullerton.edu/rwiseman/ICCCpaper.htm.
- J. Kuada, “Intercultural competence development of Danish managers,” April 2004, http://www.business.aau.dk/ivo/publications/working/wp33.pdf.
- L. A. Samovar and R. E. Porter, Eds., Communication between Cultures, Wadsworth, Belmont, Calif, USA, 4th edition, 2001.
- B. H. Spitzberg, “Issues in the development of a theory of interpersonal competence in the intercultural context,” International Journal of Intercultural Relations, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 241–268, 1989.
- M. Zhong, “Perceived intercultural communication competence in cross-cultural interactions between Chinese and Americans,” Critical Studies, vol. 12, pp. 161–179, 1989.
- B. Leask, “Internationalisation of the curriculum and intercultural engagement: a variety of perspectives and possibilities,” in Proceedings of the Australian Internal Educational Education Conference: The Opportunities in a Challenging Environment, pp. 11–12, Sydney, Australia, March 2005.
- G. G. Hiller and M. Wozniak, “Developing an intercultural competence programme at an international cross-border university,” Intercultural Education, vol. 20, supplement 1-2, pp. 113–124, 2009.
- S. A. Eisenchlas and S. Trevaskes, “Creating cultural spaces in the Australian university setting: a pilot study of structured cultural exchanges,” Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, vol. 26, pp. 84–100, 2003.
- M. Zhao and D. Wildermeersch, “Hosting foreign students in European universities. International and intercultural perspectives,” European Education, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 2008.
- J. L. Walker, Canada First: The 1999 Survey of International Students, Canadian Bureau for International Education, Ottawa, Canada.
- S. Volet and G. Ang, “Culturally mixed groups on international campuses: an opportunity for intercultural learning,” Higher Education Research and Development, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 5–23, 1998.
- C. Briguglio, Empowering Students by Developing Their Intercultural Communication Competence: A Two-way Process, ISANA, International Education Association, Queensland, Australia, 2006.
- M. Freeman, L. Treleaven, B. P. Ramburuth et al., “Embedding the development of intercultural competence in business education,” http://www.altc.edu.au/project-embedding-development-intercultural-sydney-2006.
- M. M. Merryfield, “Why aren't teachers being prepared to teach for diversity, equity, and global interconnectedness? A study of lived experiences in the making of multicultural and global educators,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 429–443, 2000.
- L. Sercu, “The foreign language and intercultural competence teacher: the acquisition of a new professional identity,” Intercultural Education, vol. 17, pp. 55–72, 2006.
- J. A. Premier and J. Miller, “Preparing pre-service teachers for multicultural classrooms,” Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 35–48, 2010.
- E. B. Smith, “Approaches to multicultural education in preservice teacher education philosophical frameworks and models for teaching,” Multicultural Education, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 45–50, 2009.
- D. K. Deardorff, The identification and assessment of intercultural competence as a student of international education at institutions of higher education in the United States [dissertation], University of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2004.
- D. K. Deardorff, “Assessing intercultural competence in study abroad students,” in Living and Studying Abroad: Research and Practice, M. Byram and A. Feng, Eds., pp. 232–256, Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, UK, 2007.
- D. Tangen, K. L. Mercer, R. Spooner-Lane, and E. Hepple, “Exploring intercultural competence: a service-learning approach,” Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 36, pp. 62–72, 2011.
- M. Ryan, S. Carrington, G. Selva, and A. Healy, “Taking a reality check: expanding pre-service teachers' views on pedagogy and diversity,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 155–173, 2009.
- V. Braun and V. Clarke, “Using thematic analysis in psychology,” Qualitative Research in Psychology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 77–101, 2006.