- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Computer Games Technology
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 318505, 9 pages
Long Memory of Pathfinding Aesthetics
Computer Science Department, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, USA
Received 16 January 2009; Revised 30 March 2009; Accepted 22 June 2009
Academic Editor: Marc Price
Copyright © 2009 Ron Coleman. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Higgins, “Pathfinding design architecture,” in AI Game Programming Wisdom, S. Rabin, Ed., pp. 114–121, Charles River, 2002.
- I. Kant, The Critique of Judgment, Oxford, UK, 1790, translation by J. C. Meredith, Oxford University Press, 1978.
- T. Karagiannis, et al., “A user-friendly self-similarity analysis tool,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 81–93, 2003.
- B. Mandelbrot and J. R. Wallis, “Robustness of the rescaled range R/S in the measurement of noncyclic long run statistical dependence,” Water Resources Research, vol. 5, 1969.
- R. Coleman, “Fractal analysis of pathfinding aesthetics,” International Journal of Simulation Modelling, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 71–80, 2008.
- R. Coleman, “Fractal analysis of stealthy pathfinding aesthetics,” International Journal of Computer Games Technology, vol. 2009, Article ID 670459, 7 pages, 2009.
- B. Spehar, C. W. G. Clifford, B. R. Newell, and R. P. Taylor, “Universal aesthetic of fractals,” Computers and Graphics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 813–820, 2003.
- S. Russell and P. Norvig, Artificial Intelligence, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2003.
- I. Millington, Artificial Intelligence for Games, Morgan Kaufman, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 2006.
- D. M. Bourg and G. Seemann, AI for Game Developers, O'Reilly, 2004.
- S. Rabin, “Aesthetic optimizations,” in AI Game Programming Gems, M. DeLoura, Ed., pp. 264–271, Charles River, 2000.
- B. Stout, “Smart moves: intelligent pathfinding,” September 2006, http://www.gamasutra.com.
- M. Pinter, “Toward more realistic pathfinding,” October 2006, http://www.gamasutra.com.
- A. Botea, M. Müller, and J. Schaeffer, “Near optimal hierarchical path-finding,” Journal of Game Development, vol. 1, pp. 7–28, 2004.
- R. Coleman, “Operationally aesthetic pathfinding,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, vol. 1, pp. 159–163, CSREA Press, 2007.
- S. S. Stevens, “On the psychophysical law,” Psychological Review, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 153–181, 1957.
- B. Mandelbrot, “How long is the coast of Britain? Statistical self-similarity and fractional dimension,” Science, vol. 156, no. 3775, pp. 636–638, 1967.
- D. Rockmore, “The style of numbers behind a number of styles,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, Section: The Chronicle Review, vol. 52, no. 40, p. B10, 2006.
- K. Y. Hogarty and J. D. Kromrey, “Robust effect size estimates and meta-analytic tests of homogeneity,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual SAS Users Group International Conference, pp. 217–225, Indianapolis, Ind, USA, April 2000.
- J. Cohen, Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ, USA, 2nd edition.
- H. E. Hurst, “Long-term storage of reservoirs,” Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers, vol. 116, 1951.
- J. Feder, Fractals, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- D. Oliver, Fractal Vision, Sams, 1992.
- E. Peters, Chaos and Order in the Capital Markets, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- M. Schroeder, Fractals, Chaos, and Power Laws, Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- T. Karagiannis, M. L. Molle, and M. Faloutsos, “Long-range dependence: ten years of internet traffic modeling,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 57–64, 2004.
- T. Karagiannis and M. Faloutsos, “SELFIS: a tool for self-similarity and long-range dependence analysis,” in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Fractals and Self-Similarity in Data Mining: Issues and Approaches (KDD '02), Edmonton, Canada, July 2002.
- R. Coleman, “Fractal analysis of pathfinding aesthetics opinion survey,” May 2008, http://foxweb.marist.edu/users/ron.coleman/fapasurvey/AestheticPathfinding100x.html.
- L. Marinoff, The Middle Way, Sterling, 2007.
- W. J. Conover, Practical Nonparametric Statistics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1980.
- S. C. Chapra and R. P. Canale, Numerical Methods for Engineers, 2nd edition, 1988.
- M. Wells, J2ME Game Programming, Thompson, 2004.
- R. Coleman, “Long-memory pathfinding beauty experimental results,” December 2008, http://foxweb.marist.edu/users/ron.coleman/lmpa/LMPA_Results-r1-3.xls.