- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Computer Games Technology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 360458, 11 pages
Declarative Terrain Modeling for Military Training Games
1TNO Defence, Security and Safety, Oude Waalsdorperweg 63, P.O. Box 96864, The Hague, The Netherlands
2Delft University of Technology, Mekelweg 4, P.O. Box 5031, Delft, The Netherlands
Received 11 September 2009; Accepted 4 April 2010
Academic Editor: Narendra Chaudhari
Copyright © 2010 Ruben M. Smelik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Virtual Battlespace 2, Bohemia Interactive Australia, 2009, http://www.vbs2.com.
- Steel Beasts, eSim Games, 2009, http://www.steelbeasts.com.
- Tactical Iraqi Language & Culture, Alelo inc., 2009, http://www.tacticallanguage.com.
- America's Army, US Army, 2009, http://www.americasarmy.com.
- A. van der Hulst, T. Muller, S. Besselink, D. Coetsier, and C. Roos, “Bloody serious gaming: experiences with job oriented training,” in Proceedings of the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation & Education Conference (I/ITSEC '08), pp. 375–385, Orlando, Fla, USA, 2008.
- W. D. Wells, “Generating enhanced natural environments and terrain for interactive combat simulations (GENETICS),” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST '05), pp. 184–191, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- K. Perlin, “An image synthesizer,” in Proceedings of the 12th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH'85), vol. 19, pp. 287–296, July 1985.
- K. Perlin, “Improving noise,” in Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH '02), pp. 681–682, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- D. S. Ebert, S. Worley, F. K. Musgrave, D. Peachey, and K. Perlin, Texturing & Modeling: A Procedural Approach, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 3rd edition, 2003.
- F. K. Musgrave, Methods for realistic landscape imaging, Doctoral thesis, Yale University, New Haven, Conn, USA, 1993.
- J. Olsen, “Realtime procedural terrain generation,” Tech. Rep., University of Southern Denmark, 2004, http://oddlabs.com/download/terrain_generation.pdf.
- M. Frade, F. Fernandez de Vega, and C. Cotta, “Breeding terrains with genetic terrain programming: the evolution of terrain generators,” International Journal of Computer Games Technology, vol. 2009, Article ID 125714, 13 pages, 2009.
- S. Stachniak and W. Stuerzlinger, “An algorithm for automated fractal terrain deformation,” Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 1, pp. 64–76, 2005.
- J. Schneider, T. Boldte, and R Westermann, “Real-time editing, synthesis, and rendering of infinite landscapes on GPUs,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Vision, Modeling and Visualization, Aachen, Germany, November 2006.
- H. Zhou, J. Sun, G. Turk, and J. M. Rehg, “Terrain synthesis from digital elevation models,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 834–848, 2007.
- G. De Carpentier and R. Bidarra, “Interactive GPU-based procedural heightfield brushes,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on the Foundation of Digital Games, Orlando, Fla, USA, April 2009.
- O. Deussen, P. Hanrahan, B. Lintermann, R. Mêch, M. Pharr, and P. Prusinkiewicz, “Realistic modeling and rendering of plant ecosystems,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual ACM Conference on Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH '98), pp. 275–286, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- P. Prusinkiewicz and A. Lindenmayer, The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants, Springer, London, UK, 1990.
- B. Watson, P. Müller, O. Veryovka, A. Fuller, P. Wonka, and C. Sexton, “Procedural urban modeling in practice,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 18–26, 2008.
- G. Kelly and H. McCabe, “A survey of procedural techniques for city generation,” Institute of Technology Blanchardstown Journal, vol. 14, pp. 87–130, 2006.
- Terragen 2, PlanetSide Software, 2009, http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2.
- J. Rosenberg, “Geocontrol 2,” 2009, http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm.
- A. Torpy, “L3DT,” 2009, http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT.
- R. M. Smelik, T. Tutenel, K. J. de Kraker, and R. Bidarra, “A proposal for a procedural terrain modelling framework,” in Proceedings of the 14th Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Environments (EGVE '08), pp. 39–42, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 2008.
- T. Roden and I. Parberry, “From artistry to automation: a structured methodology for procedural content creation,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Entertainment Computing, pp. 151–156, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 2004.
- E. E. Catmull and R. J. Rom, “A class of local interpolating splines,” in Computer Aided Geometric Design, R. E. Barnhill and R. F. Riesenfeld, Eds., pp. 317–326, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- R. Osfield and D. Burns, OpenSceneGraph, 2009, http://www.openscenegraph.org.
- CUDA, NVIDIA Corporation, 2009, http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html.
- S. A. Groenewegen, R. M. Smelik, K. J. de Kraker, and R. Bidarra, “Procedural city layout generation based on urban land use models,” in Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the European Association for Computer Graphics (Eurographics '09), P. Alliez and M. Magnor, Eds., pp. 45–48, Eurographics Association, Munich, Germany, 2009.
- R. M. Smelik, T. Tutenel, K. J. de Kraker, and R. Bidarra, “A case study on procedural modeling of geo-typical southern Afghanistan terrain,” in Proceedings of the IMAGE Conference, pp. 329–337, Saint Louis, Miss, USA, July 2009.