- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 810469, 7 pages
Treatment of Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats with Alogliptin: Effect on Vascular and Neural Complications
1Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
2Department of Veterans Affairs Iowa City Health Care System, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Received 14 May 2011; Accepted 21 June 2011
Academic Editor: A. Veves
Copyright © 2011 Eric P. Davidson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. J. Coppey, E. P. Davidson, J. A. Dunlap, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Slowing of motor nerve conduction velocity in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats is preceded by impaired vasodilation in arterioles that overlie the sciatic nerve,” Experimental Diabesity Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 131–143, 2000.
- L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, J. A. Dunlap, and M. A. Yorek, “Effect of treating streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with sorbinil, myo-inositol or aminoguanidine on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity and vascular function of epineurial arterioles of the sciatis nerve,” International Journal of Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–36, 2002.
- J. A. Davidson, “Incorporating incretin-based therapies into clinical practice: differences between glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor agonists and dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitors,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. S27–S37, 2010.
- B. Lee, L. Shi, D. B. Kassel, T. Asakawa, K. Takeuchi, and R. J. Christopher, “Pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and efficacy profiles of alogliptin, a novel inhibitor of dipeptidyl peptidase-4, in rats, dogs, and monkeys,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 589, no. 1–3, pp. 306–314, 2008.
- J. J. Neumiller, L. Wood, and R. K. Campbell, “Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 463–484, 2010.
- S. Lam and M. Saad, “Saxagliptin: a new dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor for type 2 diabetes,” Cardiology in Review, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 213–217, 2010.
- E. Matteucci and O. Giampietro, “Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (CD26): knowing the function before inhibiting the enzyme,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 23, pp. 2943–2951, 2009.
- C. F. Deacon, M. Toft-Nielsen, L. Pridal, B. Willms, and J. J. Holst, “Both subcutaneously and intravenously administered glucagon-like peptide I are rapidly degraded from the NH2-terminus in type II diabetic patients and in healthy subjects,” Diabetes, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1126–1131, 1995.
- T. J. Kieffer, C. H. S. McIntosh, and R. A. Pederson, “Degradation of glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide and truncated glucagon-like peptide 1 in vitro and in vivo by dipeptidyl peptidase IV,” Endocrinology, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 3585–3596, 1995.
- J. Mu, A. Petrov, G. J. Eiermann et al., “Inhibition of DPP-4 with sitagliptin improves glycemic control and restores islet cell mass and function in a rodent model of type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 623, no. 1–3, pp. 148–154, 2009.
- L. Ferreira, E. Teixeira-De-Lemos, F. Pinto et al., “Effects of sitagliptin treatment on dysmetabolism, inflammation, and oxidative stress in an animal model of type 2 diabetes (ZDF rat),” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2010, Article ID 592760, 11 pages, 2010.
- C. L. Oltman, E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Attenuation of vascular/neural dysfunction in zucker rats treated with enalapril or rosuvastatin,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 82–89, 2008.
- C. L. Oltman, L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Progression of vascular and neural dysfunction in sciatic nerves of Zucker diabetic fatty and Zucker rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. E113–E122, 2005.
- I. G. Obrosova, F. Li, O. I. Abatan et al., “Role of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 711–720, 2004.
- K. K. Beiswenger, N. A. Calcutt, and A. P. Mizisin, “Epidermal nerve fiber quantification in the assessment of diabetic neuropathy,” Acta Histochemica, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 351–362, 2008.
- E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, N. A. Calcutt, C. L. Oltman, and M. A. Yorek, “Diet-induced obesity in Sprague-Dawley rats causes microvascular and neural dysfunction,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 306–318, 2010.
- L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, J. A. Dunlap, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Effect of antioxidant treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity, and vascular reactivity of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1927–1937, 2001.
- L. J. Coppey, E. P. Davidson, T. W. Rinehart et al., “ACE inhibitor or angiotensin II receptor antagonist attenuates diabetic neuropathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 341–348, 2006.
- M. A. Yorek, L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, and E. P. Davidson, “Sensory nerve innervation of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve containing calcitonin gene-related peptide: effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Experimental Diabesity Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 2004.
- E. P. Davidson, T. L. Kleinschmidt, C. L. Oltman, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with AVE7688, a vasopeptidase inhibitor: effect on vascular and neural disease,” Diabetes, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 355–362, 2007.
- C. L. Oltman, E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, B. Dake, and M. A. Yorek, “Role of the effect of inhibition of neutral endopeptidase on vascular and neural complications in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 650, no. 2-3, pp. 556–562, 2011.
- E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, C. L. Oltman, and M. A. Yorek, “Vascular and neural dysfunctions in obese Zucker rats: effect of AVE7688,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2009, p. 912327, 2009.
- M. A. Yorek, “The potential role of angiotensin converting enzyme and vasopeptidase inhibitors in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2008.
- J. Doupis and A. Veves, “DPP4 inhibitors: a new approach in diabetes treatment.,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 627–643, 2008.
- B. Ahrén, “Emerging dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors for the treatment of diabetes,” Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 593–607, 2008.
- A. M. Lambeir, S. Scharpé, and I. De Meester, “DPP4 inhibitors for diabetes-What next?” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 1637–1643, 2008.
- E. J. Verspohl, “Novel therapeutics for type 2 diabetes: incretin hormone mimetics (glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists) and dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 113–138, 2009.
- Y. Moritoh, K. Takeuchi, T. Asakawa, O. Kataoka, and H. Odaka, “Chronic administration of alogliptin, a novel, potent, and highly selective dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, improves glycemic control and beta-cell function in obese diabetic ob/ob mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 588, no. 2-3, pp. 325–332, 2008.
- Y. Moritoh, K. Takeuchi, and M. Hazama, “Chronic administration of voglibose, an α-glucosidase inhibitor, increases active glucagon-like peptide-1 levels by increasing its secretion and decreasing dipeptidyl peptidase-4 activity in ob/ob mice,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 329, no. 2, pp. 669–676, 2009.
- A. Tahara, A. Matsuyama-Yokono, R. Nakano, Y. Someya, M. Hayakawa, and M. Shibasaki, “Antihyperglycemic effects of ASP8497 in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetic rats: comparison with other dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitors,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 899–908, 2009.
- A. Matsuyama-Yokono, A. Tahara, R. Nakano, Y. Someya, M. Hayakawa, and M. Shibasaki, “Chronic inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-IV with ASP8497 improved the HbA1c level, glucose intolerance, and lipid parameter level in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetic mice,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, vol. 379, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 2009.
- T. J. Wiese, W. L. Lowe Jr., and M. A. Yorek, “Regulation of the Na+/myo-inositol cotransporter mRNA levels in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats and by hyperglycemia in cultured cells,” International Journal of Diabetes, vol. 4, pp. 107–121, 1996.
- E. Davidson, L. Coppey, B. Lu et al., “The roles of streptozotocin neurotoxicity and neutral endopeptidase in murine experimental diabetic neuropathy,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2009, p. 431980, 2009.
- K. Sugimoto, K. Kojima, M. Baba, and M. Yasujima, “Olmesartan ameliorates peripheral nerve dysfunction in Zucker diabetic fatty rats,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1337–1346, 2011.
- I. G. Obrosova, W. Xu, V. V. Lyzogubov et al., “PARP inhibition or gene deficiency counteracts intraepidermal nerve fiber loss and neuropathic pain in advanced diabetic neuropathy,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 972–981, 2008.
- V. R. Drel, P. Pacher, I. Vareniuk et al., “A peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst counteracts sensory neuropathy in streptozotocin-diabetic mice,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 569, no. 1-2, pp. 48–58, 2007.
- R. Stavniichuk, V. R. Drel, H. Shevalye et al., “Baicalein alleviates diabetic peripheral neuropathy through inhibition of oxidative-nitrosative stress and p38 MAPK activation,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 230, no. 1, pp. 106–113, 2011.
- K. K. Beiswenger, N. A. Calcutt, and A. P. Mizisin, “Dissociation of thermal hypoalgesia and epidermal denervation in streptozotocin-diabetic mice,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 442, no. 3, pp. 267–272, 2008.
- H. Y. Jin, W. J. Liu, J. H. Park, H. S. Baek, and T. S. Park, “Effect of Dipeptidyl Peptidase-IV (DPP-IV) Inhibitor (Vildagliptin) on Peripheral Nerves in Streptozotocin-induced Diabetic Rats,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 536–544, 2009.
- M. A. Nauck and A. El-Ouaghlidi, “The therapeutic actions of DPP-IV inhibition are not mediated by glucagon-like peptide-1,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 608–611, 2005.