- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Nanomaterials
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 479109, 8 pages
Water Absorption and Diffusion Characteristics of Nanohydroxyapatite (nHA) and Poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate-) Based Composite Tissue Engineering Scaffolds and Nonporous Thin Films
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
2IJN-UTM Cardiovascular Engineering Centre (CEC), Faculty of Biosciences and Medical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
3KALAM, Faculty of Built Environment, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Received 15 March 2013; Revised 10 April 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editor: In-Kyu Park
Copyright © 2013 Naznin Sultana and Tareef Hayat Khan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Bell, Tissue Engineering: Current Perspectives, Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA, 1993.
- R. P. Lanza, R. S. Langer, and J. Vacanti, Principles of Tissue Engineering, Elsevier/Academic Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007.
- Z. Li, Y. Su, B. Xie et al., “A tough hydrogel-hydroxyapatite bone-like composite fabricated in situ by the electrophoresis approach,” Journal of Materials Chemistry B, vol. 1, no. 12, pp. 1755–1764, 2013.
- J. Lacroix, J. Lao, and E. Jallot, “Green and safe in situ templating of bioactive glass scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Materials Chemistry B, vol. 1, no. 13, pp. 1782–1785, 2013.
- S. Lalan, I. Pomerantseva, and J. P. Vacanti, “Tissue engineering and its potential impact on surgery,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1458–1466, 2001.
- C. Bastioli, Handbook of Biodegradable Polymers, Rapra Technology, Shrewsbury, UK, 2005.
- E. Blümm and A. J. Owen, “Miscibility, crystallization and melting of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate)/poly(l-lactide) blends,” Polymer, vol. 36, no. 21, pp. 4077–4081, 1995.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “PHBV/PLLA-based composite scaffolds containing nano-sized hydroxyapatite particles for bone tissue engineering,” Journal of Experimental Nanoscience, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 121–132, 2008.
- P. X. Ma, R. Zhang, G. Xiao, and R. Franceschi, “Engineering new bone tissue in vitro on highly porous poly(α-hydroxyl acids)/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 54, pp. 284–293, 2001.
- B. D. Ratner, BioMaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine, Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2004.
- N. Sultana and T. H. Khan, “Factorial study of compressive mechanical properties and primary in vitro osteoblast response of PHBV/PLLA scaffolds,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 656914, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. Braden, “Water absorption characteristics of dental microfine composite filling materials. II. Experimental materials,” Biomaterials, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 373–375, 1984.
- S. Deb, M. Braden, and W. Bonfield, “Water absorption characteristics of modified hydroxyapatite bone cements,” Biomaterials, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 1095–1100, 1995.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “PHBV/PLLA-based composite scaffolds fabricated using an emulsion freezing/freeze-drying technique for bone tissue engineering: surface modification and in vitro biological evaluation,” Biofabrication, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID 015003, 2012.
- W. Y. Zhou, M. Wang, W. L. Cheung, B. C. Guo, and D. M. Jia, “Synthesis of carbonated hydroxyapatite nanospheres through nanoemulsion,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2008.
- N. Sultana and M. Wang, “Fabrication of HA/PHBV composite scaffolds through the emulsion freezing/freeze-drying process and characterisation of the scaffolds,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 2555–2561, 2008.
- J. Crank and G. S. Park, Eds., Diffusion in Polymers, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- M. Braden and R. L. Clarke, “Water absorption characteristics of dental microfine composite filling materials. I. Proprietary materials,” Biomaterials, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 369–372, 1984.
- C. Santos, R. L. Clarke, M. Braden, F. Guitian, and K. W. M. Davy, “Water absorption characteristics of dental composites incorporating hydroxyapatite filler,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1897–1904, 2002.
- J. Crank and G. S. Park, Diffusion in Polymers, Academic Press, London, UK, 1968.
- R. E. Smallman and A. H. W. Ngan, Physical Metallurgy and Advanced Materials, Butterworth-Heinemann; Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007.