- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 686952, 9 pages
Effect of Treatment of Sprague Dawley Rats with AVE7688, Enalapril, or Candoxatril on Diet-Induced Obesity
1Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
2Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Received 21 April 2010; Accepted 29 June 2010
Academic Editor: A. Halpern
Copyright © 2011 Eric P. Davidson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, N. A. Calcutt, C. L. Oltman, and M. A. Yorek, “Diet-induced obesity in Sprague-Dawley rats causes microvascular and neural dysfunction,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 306–318, 2010.
- M. Weber, “Emerging treatments for hypertension: potential role for vasopeptidase inhibition,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 139S–147S, 1999.
- A. M. Sharma, “Is there a rationale for angiotensin blockade in the management of obesity hypertension?” Hypertension, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 12–19, 2004.
- F. Ebihara, G. S. Di Marco, M. A. Juliano, and D. E. Casarini, “Neutral endopeptidase expression in mesangial cells,” Journal of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 228–233, 2003.
- H. Vatter, L. Schilling, P. Schmiedek, and H. Ehrenreich, “Evidence for functional endothelin-converting enzyme activity in isolated rat basilar artery: effect of inhibitors,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. S64–S67, 1998.
- P. Muangman, M. L. Spenny, R. N. Tamura, and N. S. Gibran, “Fatty acids and glucose increase neutral endopeptidase activity in human microvascular endothelial cells,” Shock, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 508–512, 2003.
- R. M. Edwards, M. Pullen, and P. Nambi, “Distribution of neutral endopeptidase activity along the rat and rabbit nephron,” Pharmacology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 1999.
- W. Gonzalez, J.-M. Soleilhac, M.-C. Fournié-Zaluski, B. P. Roques, and J.-B. Michel, “Characterization of neutral endopeptidase in vascular cells, modulation of vasoactive peptide levels,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 345, no. 3, pp. 323–331, 1998.
- Q. Pu and E. L. Schiffrin, “Effect of ACE/NEP inhibition on cardiac and vascular collagen in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1067–1072, 2001.
- J. S. Floras, “Vasopeptidase inhibition: a novel approach to cardiovascular therapy,” Canadian Journal of Cardiology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 177–182, 2001.
- E. P. Davidson, T. L. Kleinschmidt, C. L. Oltman, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with AVE7688, a vasopeptidase inhibitor: effect on vascular and neural disease,” Diabetes, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 355–362, 2007.
- C. L. Oltman, E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Treatment of Zucker diabetic fatty rats with AVE7688 improves vascular and neural dysfunction,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 223–233, 2009.
- E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, C. L. Oltman, and M. A. Yorek, “Vascular and neural dysfunctions in obese Zucker rats: effect of AVE7688,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2009, Article ID 912327, 8 pages, 2009.
- C. L. Oltman, E. P. Davidson, L. J. Coppey, T. L. Kleinschmidt, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Attenuation of vascular/neural dysfunction in zucker rats treated with enalapril or rosuvastatin,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 82–89, 2008.
- C. L. Oltman, L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Progression of vascular and neural dysfunction in sciatic nerves of Zucker diabetic fatty (ZDF) and Zucker rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. E113–E122, 2005.
- L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, J. A. Dunlap, D. D. Lund, and M. A. Yorek, “Effect of antioxidant treatment of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats on endoneurial blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity, and vascular reactivity of epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve,” Diabetes, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 1927–1937, 2001.
- L. J. Coppey, E. P. Davidson, T. W. Rinehart et al., “ACE inhibitor or angiotensin II receptor antagonist attenuates diabetic neuropathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 341–348, 2006.
- I. G. Obrosova, F. Li, O. I. Abatan et al., “Role of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase activation in diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 711–720, 2004.
- K. K. Beiswenger, N. A. Calcutt, and A. P. Mizisin, “Epidermal nerve fiber quantification in the assessment of diabetic neuropathy,” Acta Histochemica, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 351–362, 2008.
- M. A. Yorek, “The potential role of angiotensin converting enzyme and vasopeptidase inhibitors in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2008.
- L. Sedová, J. Bérubé, D. Gaudet et al., “Diet-induced obesity delays cardiovascular recovery from stress in spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1951–1958, 2004.
- M. G. Dube, E. Beretta, H. Dhillon, N. Ueno, P. S. Kalra, and S. P. Kalra, “Central leptin gene therapy blocks high-fat diet-induced weight gain, hyperleptinemia, and hyperinsulinemia: increase in serum ghrelin levels,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1729–1736, 2002.
- F. Törüner, E. Akbay, N. Çakir et al., “Effects of PPARγ and PPAR α agonists on serum leptin levels in diet-induced obese rats,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 226–230, 2004.
- S. S. Gholami, R. Rogers, J. Chang et al., “The effect of vascular endothelial growth factor and adeno-associated virus mediated brain derived neurotrophic factor on neurogenic and vasculogenic erectile dysfunction induced by hyperlipidemia,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 1577–1581, 2003.
- M. Tschöp and M. L. Heiman, “Rodent obesity models: an overview,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 307–319, 2001.
- D. B. West and B. York, “Dietary fat, genetic predisposition, and obesity: lessons from animal models,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 505S–512S, 1998.
- A. D. Dobrian, M. J. Davies, S. D. Schriver, T. J. Lauterio, and R. L. Prewitt, “Oxidative stress in a rat model of obesity-induced hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 554–560, 2001.
- C. M. Boustany, K. Bharadwaj, A. Daugherty, D. R. Brown, D. C. Randall, and L. A. Cassis, “Activation of the systemic and adipose renin-angiotensin system in rats with diet-induced obesity and hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 4, pp. R943–R949, 2004.
- E. L. Santos, K. de Picoli Souza, P. B. Guimarães et al., “Effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor enalapril on body weight and composition in young rats,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 2008.
- R. S. Weisinger, T. K. Stanley, D. P. Begg, H. S. Weisinger, K. J. Spark, and M. Jois, “Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition lowers body weight and improves glucose tolerance in C57BL/6J mice maintained on a high fat diet,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 98, no. 1-2, pp. 192–197, 2009.
- E. L. Santos, K. de Picoli Souza, E. D. da Silva et al., “Long term treatment with ACE inhibitor enalapril decreases body weight gain and increases life span in rats,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 8, pp. 951–958, 2009.
- K. Araki, T. Masaki, I. Katsuragi, K. Tanaka, T. Kakuma, and H. Yoshimatsu, “Telmisartan prevents obesity and increases the expression of uncoupling protein 1 in diet-induced obese mice,” Hypertension, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2006.
- A. P. Jayasooriya, M. L. Mathai, L. L. Walker et al., “Mice lacking angiotensin-converting enzyme have increased energy expenditure, with reduced fat mass and improved glucose clearance,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 18, pp. 6531–6536, 2008.
- R. Kouyama, T. Suganami, J. Nishida et al., “Attenuation of diet-induced weight gain and adiposity through increased energy expenditure in mice lacking angiotensin II type 1a receptor,” Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 8, pp. 3481–3489, 2005.
- A. D. de Kloet, E. G. Krause, D.-H. Kim, R. R. Sakai, R. J. Seeley, and S. C. Woods, “The effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition using captopril on energy balance and glucose homeostasis,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 9, pp. 4114–4123, 2009.
- N. Harada, E. Takishita, N. Ishimura, A. Minami, S. Sakamoto, and Y. Nakaya, “Combined effect of ACE inhibitor and exercise training on insulin resistance in type 2 diabetic rats,” Life Sciences, vol. 70, no. 15, pp. 1811–1820, 2002.
- M. Nawano, M. Anai, M. Funaki et al., “Imidapril, an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor, improves insulin sensitivity by enhancing signal transduction via insulin receptor substrate proteins and improving vascular resistance in the Zucker fatty rat,” Metabolism, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1248–1255, 1999.
- D. B. Dal Ponte, D. L. Fogt, S. Jacob, and E. J. Henriksen, “Interactions of captopril and verapamil on glucose tolerance and insulin action in an animal model of insulin resistance,” Metabolism, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 982–987, 1998.
- I. Tabbi-Anneni, J. Buchanan, R. C. Cooksey, et al., “Captopril normalizes insulin signaling and insulin-regulated substrate metabolism in obese (ob/ob) mouse hearts,” Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 8, pp. 4043–4050, 2008.
- E. J. Henriksen, S. Jacob, H. J. Augustin, and G. J. Dietze, “Glucose transport activity in insulin-resistant rat muscle: effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and bradykinin antagonism,” Diabetes, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. S125–S128, 1996.
- E. J. Henriksen and S. Jacob, “Effects of captopril on glucose transport activity in skeletal muscle of obese Zucker rats,” Metabolism, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 267–272, 1995.
- K. Sugimoto, L. Kazdová, N. R. Qi et al., “Telmisartan increases fatty acid oxidation in skeletal muscle through a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ dependent pathway,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1209–1215, 2008.
- J. C. Russell, S. E. Kelly, and S. Schäfer, “Vasopeptidase inhibition improves insulin sensitivity and endothelial function in the JCR:LA-cp rat,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 258–265, 2004.
- V. Arbin, N. Claperon, M.-C. Fournié-Zaluski, B. P. Roques, and J. Peyroux, “Acute effect of the dual angiotensin-converting enzyme and neutral endopeptidase 24-11 inhibitor mixanpril on insulin sensitivity in obese Zucker rat,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 495–502, 2001.
- C.-H. Wang, N. Leung, N. Lapointe et al., “Vasopeptidase inhibitor omapatrilat induces profound insulin sensitization and increases myocardial glucose uptake in Zucker fatty rats,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 14, pp. 1923–1929, 2003.
- V. Wong, L. Szeto, K. Uffelman, I. G. Fantus, and G. F. Lewis, “Enhancement of muscle glucose uptake by the vasopeptidase inhibitor, omapatrilat, is independent of insulin signaling and the AMP kinase pathway,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 441–450, 2006.
- K. Miyashita, H. Itoh, H. Tsujimoto et al., “Natriuretic peptides/cGMP/cGMP-dependent protein kinase cascades promote muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and prevent obesity,” Diabetes, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 2880–2892, 2009.
- A. Broccolini, T. Gidaro, R. Morosetti et al., “Neprilysin participates in skeletal muscle regeneration and is accumulated in abnormal muscle fibres of inclusion body myositis,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 777–789, 2006.
- J. R. Singleton, A. G. Smith, J. W. Russell, and E. L. Feldman, “Microvascular complications of impaired glucose tolerance,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 2867–2873, 2003.
- D. W. Busija, A. W. Miller, P. Katakam, and B. Erdos, “Adverse effects of reactive oxygen species on vascular reactivity in insulin resistance,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 8, no. 7-8, pp. 1131–1140, 2006.
- T. Inoguchi and H. Nawata, “NAD(P)H oxidase activation: a potential target mechanism for diabetic vascular complications, progressive β-cell dysfunction and metabolic syndrome,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 495–501, 2005.
- C. Rask-Madsen and G. L. King, “Mechanisms of disease: endothelial dysfunction in insulin resistance and diabetes,” Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 46–56, 2007.
- L. J. Coppey, J. S. Gellett, E. P. Davidson, and M. A. Yorek, “Preventing superoxide formation in epineurial arterioles of the sciatic nerve from diabetic rats restores endothelium-dependent vasodilation,” Free Radical Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2003.