- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Obesity
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 647034, 6 pages
Extra Fructose in the Growth Medium Fuels Lipogenesis of Adipocytes
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Donauspital, SMZ Ost, Langobardenstraße 122, 1220 Vienna, Austria
Received 23 October 2013; Revised 16 January 2014; Accepted 16 January 2014; Published 19 February 2014
Academic Editor: R. Prager
Copyright © 2014 Armin Robubi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Brauna, K. Bitton-Worms, and D. le Roith, “The link between the metabolic syndrome and cancer,” International Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1003–1015, 2011.
- J. C. K. Wells, “Obesity as malnutrition: the role of capitalism in the obesity global epidemic,” The American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 261–276, 2012.
- S. N. Bleich, Y. C. Wang, Y. Wang, and S. L. Gortmaker, “Increasing consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among US adults: 1988–1994 to 1999–2004,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 372–381, 2009.
- R. J. Johnson, S. E. Perez-Pozo, Y. Y. Sautin et al., “Hypothesis: could excessive fructose intake and uric acid cause type 2 diabetes?” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 96–116, 2009.
- D. Faeh, K. Minehira, J.-M. Schwarz, R. Periasami, S. Park, and L. Tappy, “Effect of fructose overfeeding and fish oil administration on hepatic de novo lipogenesis and insulin sensitivity in healthy men,” Diabetes, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 1907–1913, 2005.
- V. S. Malik, B. M. Popkin, G. A. Bray, J.-P. Després, W. C. Willett, and F. B. Hu, “Sugar-sweetened beverages and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2477–2483, 2010.
- R. H. Lustig, “Fructose: metabolic, hedonic, and societal parallels with ethanol,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 1307–1321, 2010.
- T. Ishimoto, M. A. Lanaspa, C. J. Rivard, et al., “High fat and high sucrose (western) diet induce steatohepatitis that is dependent on fructokinase,” Hepatology, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1632–1643, 2013.
- E. Hajduch, F. Darakhshan, and H. S. Hundal, “Fructose uptake in rat adipocytes: GLUT5 expression and the effects of streptozotocin-induced diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 821–828, 1998.
- T. Ishimoto, M. A. Lanaspa, M. T. Le et al., “Opposing effects of fructokinase C and A isoforms on fructose-induced metabolic syndrome in mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, no. 11, pp. 4320–4325, 2012.
- E. J. Hajduch, M. C. Guere-Millo, I. A. Hainault, C. M. Guichard, and M. M. Lavau, “Expression of glucose transporters (GLUT 1 and GLUT 4) in primary cultured rat adipocytes: differential evolution with time and chronic insulin effect,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 251–258, 1992.
- K. Rabe, M. Lehrke, K. G. Parhofer, and U. C. Broedl, “Adipokines and insulin resistance,” Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 11-12, pp. 741–751, 2008.
- C. F. Semenkovich, T. Coleman, and F. T. Fiedorek Jr., “Human fatty acid synthase mRNA: tissue distribution, genetic mapping, and kinetics of decay after glucose deprivation,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1507–1521, 1995.
- F. P. Kuhajda, S. Aja, Y. Tu et al., “Pharmacological glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase inhibition decreases food intake and adiposity and increases insulin sensitivity in diet-induced obesity,” The American Journal of Physiology—Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, vol. 301, no. 1, pp. R116–R130, 2011.