- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 525724, 11 pages
Using Sun’s Java Real-Time System to Manage Behavior-Based Mobile Robot Controllers
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487, USA
2Department of Computer Science, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487, USA
Received 7 May 2011; Revised 16 September 2011; Accepted 16 November 2011
Academic Editor: Yuan Zheng
Copyright © 2011 Andrew McKenzie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Brooks, “A robust layered control system for a mobile robot,” IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 14–23, 1986.
- K. Konolige, “Saphira robot control architecture,” Technical Report, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif, USA, 2002.
- D. S. Touretzky and E. J. Tira-Thompson, “Tekkotsu: a framework for AIBO cognitive robotics,” in Proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, vol. 4, pp. 1741–1742, AAAI Press, MIT Press, Pittsburgh, Pa, USA, 2005.
- B. P. Gerkey, R. T. Vaughan, K. Støy, A. Howard, G. S. Sukhatme, and M. J. Matarić, “Most valuable player: a robot device server for distributed control,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '01), vol. 3, pp. 1226–1231, 2001.
- G. Beccari, S. Caselli, M. Reggiani, and F. Zanichelli, “Real-time library for the design of hybrid robot control architectures,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1145–1150, October 1998.
- J. Kramer and M. Scheutz, “Development environments for autonomous mobile robots: a survey,” Autonomous Robots, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 101–132, 2007.
- J. Dorsey, Continuous and Discrete Control Systems, McGraw-Hill College, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- S. Bennett, Real-Time Computer Control: An Introduction, Prentice Hall International, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- G. Bollella and J. Gosling, “The real-time specification for Java,” Computer, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 47–54, 2000.
- A. McKenzie, S. Dawson, Q. Alexander, and M. Anderson, “Using real-time awareness to manage performance of java clients on mobile robots,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '09), pp. 3422–3428, December 2009.
- A. Nilsson, T. Ekman, and K. Nilsson, “Real Java for real time—gain and pain,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and Synthesis for Embedded Systems (CASES '02), pp. 304–311, October 2002.
- D. Arora, A. Raghunathan, S. Ravi, and N. K. Jha, “Architectural support for safe software execution on embedded processors,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Hardware Software Codesign and System Synthesis, pp. 106–111, October 2006.
- G. Bollella, T. Canham, V. Carson et al., “Programming with non-heap memory in the real time specification for Java,” in Proceedings of the Conference on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA '03), pp. 361–369, 2003.
- S. Smith, S. W. Lawson, and A. Lawson, “Can real-time software engineering be taught to Java programmers?” in Proceedings of the 17th Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, vol. 17, pp. 124–129, 2004.
- G. Buttazzo, F. Conticelli, G. Lamastra, and G. Lipari, “Robot control in hard real-time environment,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (RTCSA '97), pp. 152–159, October 1997.
- R. Brega, N. Tomatis, and K. O. Arras, “The need for autonomy and real-time in mobile robotics: a case study of XO/2 and Pygmalion,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, vol. 2, pp. 1422–1427, 2000.
- J. Auerbach, D. F. Bacon, D. T. Iercan et al., “Java takes flight: time-portable real-time programming with exotasks,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Languages, Compilers, and Tools for Embedded Systems (LCTES '07), pp. 51–62, June 2007.
- D. B. Stewart, D. E. Schmitz, and P. K. Khosla, “Chimera II real-time operating system for advanced sensor-based control applications,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1282–1295, 1992.
- H. Bruyninckx, P. Soetens, and B. Koninckx, “The real-time motion control core of the OROCOS project,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, pp. 2766–2771, September 2003.
- H. Bruyninckx, “Open robot control software: the OROCOS project,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 3, pp. 2523–2528, May 2001.
- S. G. Robertz, R. Henriksson, K. Nilsson, A. Blomdell, and I. Tarasov, “Using real-time Java for industrial robot control,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Java Technologies for Real-Time and Embedded Systems (JTRES '07), pp. 104–110, 2007.
- R. A. Brooks, “Intelligence without representation,” Artificial Intelligence, vol. 47, no. 1–3, pp. 139–159, 1991.
- M. Montemerlo, N. Roy, and S. Thrun, “Perspectives on standardization in mobile robot programming: the carnegie mellon navigation (CARMEN) toolkit,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2436–2441, October 2003.
- Measuring Distance Type Obstacle Detection Sensor PBS-03JN Series Instruction Manual, Hokuyo Automatic, 2002.
- B. Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 1986.
- R. Henriksson, Scheduling garbage collection in embedded systems, Ph.D. dissertation, Lund University, 1998.
- A. Elfes, “Using occupancy grids for mobile robot perception and navigation,” Computer, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 46–57, 1989.
- E. W. Dijkstra, “A note on two problems in connexion with graphs,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 269–271, 1959.
- Sun Java Real-Time System Precision Control for the Financial Services Market, Sun Microsystems, 2008.
- Range-Finder Type Laser Scanner URG 04LX Specifications, Hokuyo Automatic, 2005.