- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 794251, 13 pages
Self-Reconfigurable Modular Robots Adaptively Transforming a Mechanical Structure: Algorithm for Adaptive Transformation to Load Condition
1Graduate School of Informatics and Engineering, The University of Electro-Communications, 1828585 Tokyo, Japan
2Department of Mechanical and Control Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 1528550 Tokyo, Japan
3Faculty of Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, 3868567 Nagano, Japan
Received 14 July 2011; Accepted 25 October 2011
Academic Editor: Gordon R. Pennock
Copyright © 2011 Yosuke Suzuki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Fukuda, S. Nakagawa, Y. Kawauchi, and M. Buss, “Structure decision method for self organising robots based on cell structures-CEBOT,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '89), vol. 2, pp. 698–700, Scottsdale, Ariz , USA, May 1989.
- D. Rus and M. Vona, “Self-reconfiguration planning with compressible unit modules,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '99), pp. 2513–2520, May 1999.
- M. Yim, W. M. Shen, B. Salemi et al., “Modular self-reconfigurable robot systems,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 2007.
- M. Yim, D. G. Duff, and K. D. Roufas, “PolyBot: a modular reconfigurable robot,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '00), pp. 514–520, April 2000.
- D. Rus and M. Vona, “Crystalline robots: self-reconfiguration with compressible unit modules,” Autonomous Robots, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 107–124, 2001.
- S. Murata, K. Kakomura, and H. Kurokawa, “Toward a scalable modular robotic system,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 56–63, 2007.
- W. M. Shen, B. Salemi, and P. Will, “Hormone-inspired adaptive communication and distributed control for CONRO self-reconfigurable robots,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 700–712, 2002.
- D. J. Christensen, E. H. Ostergaard, and H. H. Lund, “Metamodule control for the ATRON self-reconfigurable robotic system,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS '8), pp. 685–692, 2004.
- J. Kubica, A. Casal, and T. Hogg, “Complex behaviors from local rules in modular self-reconfigurable robots,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '01), vol. 1, pp. 360–367, 2001.
- M. Shimizu, A. Ishiguro, and T. Kawakatsu, “Slimebot: a modular robot that exploits emergent phenomena,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '05), pp. 2982–2987, April 2005.
- K. Gilpin, K. Koyanagi, and D. Rus, “Making self-disassembling objects with multiple components in the robot pebbles system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '11), pp. 3614–3621, Shanghai, China, May 2011.
- P. Bhat, J. Kuffner, S. Goldstein, and S. Srinivasa, “Hierarchical motion planning for self-reconfigurable modular robots,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '06), pp. 886–891, October 2006.
- H. Bojinov, A. Casal, and T. Hogg, “Emergent structures in modular self-reconfigurable robots,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA '00), pp. 1734–1741, April 2000.
- M. Koseki, K. Minami, and N. Inou, “Cellular robots forming a mechanical structure (evaluation of structural formation and hardware design of “CHOBIE II”),” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (DARS '04), pp. 131–140, 2004.
- Y. Suzuki, N. Inou, M. Koseki, and H. Kimura, “Reconfigurable modular robots adaptively transforming a mechanical structure (numerical expression of transformation criteria of “CHOBIE II” and motion experiments),” in Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems 8, H. Asama, H. Kurokawa, J. Ota, and K. Sekiyama, Eds., pp. 393–403, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- Y. Suzuki, N. Inou, H. Kimura, and M. Koseki, “Reconfigurable group robots adaptively transforming a mechanical structure (extended criteria for load-adaptive transformations),” in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS '08), pp. 877–882, September 2008.
- H. M. Frost, The Laws of Bone Structure, C. C. Thomas, 1964.
- Y. C. Fung, N. Perrone, and M. Anliker, Biomechanics: Its Foundations and Objectives, Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA, 1972.
- S. C. Cowin and D. H. Hegedus, “Bone remodeling I: theory of adaptive elasticity,” Journal of Elasticity, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 313–326, 1976.
- R. Huiskes, H. Weinans, H. J. Grootenboer, M. Dalstra, B. Fudala, and T. J. Slooff, “Adaptive bone-remodeling theory applied to prosthetic-design analysis,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 20, no. 11-12, pp. 1135–1150, 1987.