- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 520632, 7 pages
General and Electrophysiological Toxic Effects of Manganese in Rats following Subacute Administration in Dissolved and Nanoparticle Form
1Department of Public Health, University of Szeged Faculty of Medicine, Dóm tér 10., 6720 Szeged, Hungary
2Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Szeged Faculty of Science and Informatics, Rerrich Béla tér 1., 6720 Szeged, Hungary
Received 14 October 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editors: N. Futrakul and J. L. Labandeira-García
Copyright © 2012 Edina Horváth et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Oberdörster, E. Oberdörster, and J. Oberdörster, “Nanotoxicology: an emerging discipline evolving from studies of ultrafine particles,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 823–839, 2005.
- J. P. Ryman-Rasmussen, J. E. Riviere, and N. A. Monteiro-Riviere, “Surface coatings determine cytotoxicity and irritation potential of quantum dot nanoparticles in epidermal keratinocytes,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 143–153, 2007.
- R. M. Bowler, H. A. Roels, S. Nakagawa, et al., “Dose-effect relationships between manganese exposure and neurological, neuropsychological and pulmonary function in confined space bridge welders,” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 167–177, 2007.
- E. H. Hernandez, G. Discalzi, P. Dassi, L. Jarre, and E. Pira, “Manganese intoxication: the cause of an inexplicable epileptic syndrome in a 3 year old child,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 24, no. 4-5, pp. 633–639, 2003.
- C. D. Davis, T. L. Wolf, and J. L. Greger, “Varying levels of manganese and iron affect absorption and gut endogenous losses of manganese by rats,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 1300–1308, 1992.
- T. Ohtake, K. Negishi, K. Okamoto et al., “Manganese-induced parkinsonism in a patient undergoing maintenance hemodialysis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 749–753, 2005.
- X. G. Kondakis, N. Makris, M. Leotsinidis, M. Prinou, and T. Papapetropoulos, “Possible health effects of high manganese concentration in drinking water,” Archives of Environmental Health, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 175–178, 1989.
- R. Kawamura, H. Ikuta, S. Fukuzumi, R. Yamada, and S. Tsubaki, “Intoxication by manganese in well water,” Kitasato Archives of Experimental Medicine, vol. 18, pp. 145–171, 1941.
- A. Woolf, R. Wright, C. Amarasiriwardena, and D. Bellinger, “A child with chronic manganese exposure from drinking water,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 613–616, 2002.
- H. Komaki, S. I. Maisawa, K. Sugai, Y. I. Kobayashi, and T. Hashimoto, “Tremor and seizures associated with chronic manganese intoxication,” Brain and Development, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 122–124, 1999.
- T. Halatek, H. Sinczuk-Walczak, M. Szymcsak, and K. Rydzynski, “Neurological and respiratory symptoms in shipyard welders exposed to manganase,” International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, vol. 18, pp. 265–274, 2005.
- L. Sárközi, E. Horváth, Z. Kónya et al., “Subacute intratracheal exposure of rats to manganese nanoparticles: behavioral, electrophysiological, and general toxicological effects,” Inhalation Toxicology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 83–91, 2009.
- G. Oszlánczi, T. Vezér, L. Sárközi, E. Horváth, Z. Kónya, and A. Papp, “Functional neurotoxicity of Mn-containing nanoparticles in rats,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 2004–2009, 2010.
- T. Vezér, A. Papp, Z. Hoyk, C. Varga, M. Náray, and L. Nagymajtényi, “Behavioral and neurotoxicological effects of subchronic manganese exposure in rats,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 797–810, 2005.
- K. Schärer, “The effect of chronic underfeeding on organ weights of rats,” Toxicology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 1977.
- E. R. Kandel and J. H. Schwartz, Principles of Neural Science, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- G. J. Li, B. S. Choi, X. Wang, J. Liu, M. P. Waalkes, and W. Zheng, “Molecular mechanism of distorted iron regulation in the blood-CSF barrier and regional blood-brain barrier following in vivo subchronic manganese exposure,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 737–744, 2006.
- J. S. Crossgrove and R. A. Yokel, “Manganese distribution across the blood-brain barrier: IV. Evidence for brain influx through store-operated calcium channels,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 297–307, 2005.
- M. E. Andersen, J. M. Gearhart, and H. J. Clewell, “Pharmacokinetic data needs to support risk assessments for inhaled and ingested manganese,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 20, no. 2-3, pp. 161–171, 1999.
- H. Tjälve and J. Henriksson, “Uptake of metals in the brain via olfactory pathways,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 20, pp. 329–337, 1999.
- J. D. McNeilly, M. R. Heal, I. J. Beverland et al., “Soluble transition metals cause the pro-inflammatory effects of welding fumes in vitro,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 196, no. 1, pp. 95–107, 2004.
- E. Horváth, G. Oszlánczi, Z. Máté et al., “Nervous system effects of dissolved and nanoparticulate cadmium in rats in subacute exposure,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 471–476, 2011.
- G. Liang, Y. Pu, L. Yin et al., “Influence of different sizes of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on hepatic and renal functions in rats with correlation to oxidative stress,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 740–745, 2009.
- V. Sharma, D. Anderson, and A. Dhawan, “Zinc oxide nanoparticles induce oxidative stress and genotoxicity in human liver cells (HepG2),” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 98–99, 2011.
- G. T. Rezin, M. R. Cardoso, C. L. Gonçalves et al., “Inhibition of mitochondrial respiratory chain in brain of rats subjected to an experimental model of depression,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 53, no. 6–8, pp. 395–400, 2008.
- D. S. Ávila, P. Gubert, R. Fachinetto et al., “Involvement of striatal lipid peroxidation and inhibition of calcium influx into brain slices in neurobehavioral alterations in a rat model of short-term oral exposure to manganese,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 1062–1068, 2008.
- C. J. Chen and S. L. Liao, “Oxidative stress involves in astrocytic alterations induced by manganese,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 175, no. 1, pp. 216–225, 2002.
- M. D. Taylor, K. M. Erikson, A. W. Dobson, V. A. Fitsanakis, D. C. Dorman, and M. Aschner, “Effects of inhaled manganese on biomarkers of oxidative stress in the rat brain,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 788–797, 2006.
- E. A. Malecki, “Manganese toxicity is associated with mitochondrial dysfunction and DNA fragmentation in rat primary striatal neurons,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 225–228, 2001.
- J. Zhang, V. A. Fitsanakis, G. Gu et al., “Manganese ethylene-bis-dithiocarbamate and selective dopaminergic neurodegeneration in rat: a link through mitochondrial dysfunction,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 336–346, 2003.
- V. A. Fitsanakis and M. Aschner, “The importance of glutamate, glycine, and γ-aminobutyric acid transport and regulation in manganese, mercury and lead neurotoxicity,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 204, no. 3, pp. 343–354, 2005.
- A. S. Hazell and M. D. Norenberg, “Manganese decreases glutamate uptake in cultured astrocytes,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1443–1447, 1997.
- D. Trotti, N. C. Danbolt, and A. Volterra, “Glutamate transporters are oxidant-vulnerable: a molecular link between oxidative and excitotoxic neurodegeneration?” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 328–334, 1998.
- D. Centonze, P. Gubellini, G. Bernardi, and P. Calabresi, “Impaired excitatory transmission in the striatum of rats chronically intoxicated with manganese,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 469–476, 2001.
- D. Smith, R. Gwiazda, R. Bowler et al., “Biomarkers of Mn exposure in humans,” American Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 801–811, 2007.