- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924153, 14 pages
Peculiar Evolutionary History of miR390-Guided TAS3-Like Genes in Land Plants
1Belozersky Institute of Physico-Chemical Biology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow 119991, Russia
2Main Botanic Garden Russian Academy of Sciences, Botanicheskaya 4, Moscow 127276, Russia
Received 6 July 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editors: B. D. Gregory and S. Mlotshwa
Copyright © 2013 Maria S. Krasnikova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Axtell, “Classification and comparison of small RNAs from plants,” Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 64, pp. 137–159, 2013.
- E. Gottwein, “Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus microRNAs,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 3, article 165, 2012.
- K. Rogers and X. Chen, “Biogenesis, turnover, and mode of action of plant microRNAs,” Plant Cell, vol. 25, pp. 2383–2399, 2013.
- X. Chen, “Small RNAs—secrets and surprises of the genome,” Plant Journal, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 941–958, 2010.
- D. S. Skopelitis, A. Y. Husbands, and M. C. Timmermans, “Plant small RNAs as morphogens,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 217–224, 2011.
- G. Sun, “MicroRNAs and their diverse functions in plants,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 80, pp. 17–36, 2012.
- J. E. Tarver, P. C. Donoghue, and K. J. Peterson, “Do miRNAs have a deep evolutionary history?” BioEssays, vol. 34, pp. 857–866, 2012.
- J. T. Cuperus, N. Fahlgren, and J. C. Carrington, “Evolution and functional diversification of MIRNA genes,” Plant Cell, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 431–442, 2011.
- M. W. Jones-Rhoades, “Conservation and divergence in plant microRNAs,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2012.
- M. Nozawa, S. Miura, and M. Nei, “Origins and evolution of microRNA genes in plant species,” Genome Biology and Evolution, vol. 4, pp. 230–239, 2012.
- G. Le Trionnaire, R. T. Grant-Downton, S. Kourmpetli, H. G. Dickinson, and D. Twell, “Small RNA activity and function in angiosperm gametophytes,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1601–1610, 2011.
- F. Vazquez, S. Legrand, and D. Windels, “The biosynthetic pathways and biological scopes of plant small RNAs,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 337–345, 2010.
- Y. Endo, H. O. Iwakawa, and Y. Tomari, “Arabidopsis ARGONAUTE7 selects miR390 through multiple checkpoints during RISC assembly,” EMBO Report, 2013.
- E. Allen and M. D. Howell, “miRNAs in the biogenesis of trans-acting siRNAs in higher plants,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 798–804, 2010.
- Q. Fei, R. Xia, and B. C. Meyers, “Phased, secondary, small interfering RNAs in posttranscriptional regulatory networks,” Plant Cell, vol. 25, pp. 2400–2415, 2013.
- R. Rajeswaran and M. M. Pooggin, “RDR6-mediated synthesis of complementary RNA is terminated by miRNA stably bound to template RNA,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 594–599, 2012.
- N. Fahlgren, T. A. Montgomery, M. D. Howell et al., “Regulation of AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR3 by TAS3 ta-siRNA affects developmental timing and patterning in Arabidopsis,” Current Biology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 939–944, 2006.
- E. Marin, V. Jouannet, A. Herz et al., “mir390, arabidopsis TAS3 tasiRNAs, and their AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR targets define an autoregulatory network quantitatively regulating lateral root growth,” Plant Cell, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1104–1117, 2010.
- T. Yifhar, I. Pekker, D. Peled et al., “Failure of the tomato trans-acting short interfering RNA program to regulate AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR3 and ARF4 underlies the wiry leaf syndrome,” Plant Cell, vol. 24, pp. 3575–3589, 2012.
- M. A. Arif, I. Fattash, Z. Ma et al., “DICER-LIKE3 activity in Physcomitrella patens DICER-LIKE4 mutants causes severe developmental dysfunction and sterility,” Molecular Plant, vol. 5, pp. 1281–1294, 2012.
- O. Saleh, N. Issman, G. I. Seumel et al., “MicroRNA534a control of BLADE-ON-PETIOLE 1 and 2 mediates juvenile-to-adult gametophyte transition in Physcomitrella patens,” Plant Journal, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 661–674, 2011.
- W. Arthur, “The emerging conceptual framework of evolutionary developmental biology,” Nature, vol. 415, no. 6873, pp. 757–764, 2002.
- M. S. Krasnikova, I. A. Milyutina, V. K. Bobrova et al., “Novel miR390-dependent transacting siRNA precursors in plants revealed by a PCR-based experimental approach and database analysis,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2009, Article ID 952304, 9 pages, 2009.
- M. S. Krasnikova, I. A. Milyutina, V. K. Bobrova, A. V. Troitsky, A. G. Solovyev, and S. Y. Morozov, “Molecular diversity of mir390-guided trans-acting siRNA precursor genes in lower land plants: experimental approach and bioinformatics analysis,” Sequencing, vol. 2011, Article ID 703683, 6 pages, 2011.
- A. J. Shaw, P. Szövényi, and B. Shaw, “Bryophyte diversity and evolution: windows into the early evolution of land plants,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 352–369, 2011.
- L. Sen, M. Fares, Y. J. Su, and T. Wang, “Molecular evolution of psbA gene in ferns: unraveling selective pressure and co-evolutionary pattern,” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 12, article 145, 2012.
- R. Xia, H. Zhu, Y. Q. An, E. P. Beers, and Z. Liu, “Apple miRNAs and tasiRNAs with novel regulatory networks,” Genome Biology, vol. 13, p. R47, 2012.
- D. Shen, S. Wang, H. Chen, Q.-H. Zhu, C. Helliwell, and L. Fan, “Molecular phylogeny of miR390-guided trans-acting siRNA genes (TAS3) in the grass family,” Plant Systematics and Evolution, vol. 283, no. 1-2, pp. 125–132, 2009.
- M. J. Axtell, C. Jan, R. Rajagopalan, and D. P. Bartel, “A two-hit trigger for siRNA biogenesis in plants,” Cell, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 565–577, 2006.
- M. Megraw, V. Baev, V. Rusinov, S. T. Jensen, K. Kalantidis, and A. G. Hatzigeorgiou, “MicroRNA promoter element discovery in Arabidopsis,” RNA, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1612–1619, 2006.
- T. Arazi, “MicroRNAs in the moss Physcomitrella patens,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 55–56, 2012.
- W. S. Judd, C. S. Campbell, E. A. Kellog, P. F. Stevens, and M. J. Donoghue, Plant Systematics: A Phylogenetic Approach, Sinauer Associatec, Sunderland, Mass, USA, 2008.
- C. Lelandais-Brière, C. Sorin, M. Declerck, A. Benslimane, M. Crespi, and C. Hartmann, “Small RNA diversity in plants and its impact in development,” Current Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 14–23, 2010.
- J. L. Bowman, “Walkabout on the long branches of plant evolution,” Current Opinion in Plant Biology, vol. 16, pp. 70–77, 2013.
- M. J. Axtell and J. L. Bowman, “Evolution of plant microRNAs and their targets,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 343–349, 2008.
- M. A. Arif, W. Frank, and B. Khraiwesh, “Role of RNA interference, (RNAi) in the moss Physcomitrella patens,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, pp. 1516–1540, 2013.
- M. Talmor-Neiman, R. Stav, W. Frank, B. Voss, and T. Arazi, “Novel micro-RNAs and intermediates of micro-RNA biogenesis from moss,” Plant Journal, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 25–37, 2006.
- S. H. Cho, C. Coruh, and M. J. Axtell, “miR156 and miR390 regulate tasiRNA accumulation and developmental timing in Physcomitrella patens,” Plant Cell, vol. 24, pp. 4837–4849, 2012.
- M. W. Jones-Rhoades and D. P. Bartel, “Computational identification of plant MicroRNAs and their targets, including a stress-induced miRNA,” Molecular Cell, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 787–799, 2004.
- W. Jin, N. Li, B. Zhang et al., “Identification and verification of microRNA in wheat (Triticum aestivum),” Journal of Plant Research, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 351–355, 2008.
- C. Addo-Quaye, J. A. Snyder, Y. B. Park, Y.-F. Li, R. Sunkar, and M. J. Axtell, “Sliced microRNA targets and precise loop-first processing of MIR319 hairpins revealed by analysis of the Physcomitrella patens degradome,” RNA, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2112–2121, 2009.
- R. Karlova, J. C. van Haars, C. Maliepaard et al., “Identification of microRNA targets in tomato fruit development using high-throughput sequencing and degradome analysis,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1863–1878, 2013.
- M. J. Axtell and D. P. Bartel, “Antiquity of microRNAs and their targets in land plants,” Plant Cell, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1658–1673, 2005.
- J. A. Banks, T. Nishiyama, M. Hasebe, et al., “The selaginella genome identifies genetic changes associated with the evolution of vascular plants,” Science, vol. 332, no. 6032, pp. 960–963, 2011.
- S. Lehtonen, “Towards resolving the complete fern tree of life,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e24851, 2011.
- M. J. Axtell, J. A. Snyder, and D. P. Bartel, “Common functions for diverse small RNAs of land plants,” Plant Cell, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1750–1769, 2007.
- A. N. Egan, J. Schlueter, and D. M. Spooner, “Applications of next-generation sequencing in plant biology,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 175–185, 2012.
- S. R. Strickler, A. Bombarely, and L. A. Mueller, “Designing a transcriptome next-generation sequencing project for a nonmodel plant species,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 257–266, 2012.
- G. Jagadeeswaran, P. Nimmakayala, Y. Zheng, K. Gowdu, U. K. Reddy, and R. Sunkar, “Characterization of the small RNA component of leaves and fruits from four different cucurbit species,” BMC Genomics, vol. 13, article 329, 2012.
- L. V. Ozerova and A. C. Timonin, “On the evidence of subunifacial and unifacial leaves: developmental studies in leaf-succulent Senecio L. species (Asteraceae),” Wulfenia, vol. 16, pp. 61–77, 2009.
- L. V. Ozerova, M. S. Krasnikova, A. V. Troitsky, A. G. Solovyev, and S. Y. Morozov, “TAS3 genes for small ta-siARF RNAs in plants belonging to subtribe Senecioninae: occurrence of prematurely terminated RNA precursors,” Molecular Genetics, Microbiology and Virology, vol. 28, pp. 79–84, 2013.