- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 126313, 10 pages
Technology in the Aid of Delivering Economic Content to Teachers: Virtual Economics v. 3
Center for Economic Education, Georgia College State & University, Campus Box 14, Milledgeville, GA 31061, USA
Received 20 March 2012; Revised 6 June 2012; Accepted 6 June 2012
Academic Editor: Jan Elen
Copyright © 2012 John R. Swinton and Benjamin Scafidi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Mackey, A. D. Glenn, and D. R. Lewis, “Improving teacher training for precollege economic education,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 118–123, 1977.
- W. B. Walstad, “Economic education in U.S. High schools,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 195–210, 2001.
- R. J. Highsmith, “A study to measure the impact of in-service institutes on the students of teachers who have participated,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 77–81, 1974.
- D. L. Thorton and G. M. Vredeveld, “In-service education and its effects on secondary students: a new approach,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 93–99, 1977.
- H. M. Schober, “The effects of inservice training on participating teachers and students in their economics classes,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 282–295, 1984.
- T. F. Cargill, J. Jurosky, and J. Wendel, “Implementing economics standards: a pilot transition program,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 126–134, 2008.
- W. B. Walstad, “Effectiveness of a USMES in-service economic education program of elementary school teachers,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1979.
- W. Bosshardt and M. Watts, “Instructor effects in economics in elementary and junior high schools,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 195–211, 1994.
- W. Bosshardt and M. Watts, “Instructor effects and their determinants in precollege economic education,” Journal of Economic Education, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 265–276, 2001.
- M. Watts and W. Bosshardt, “How instructors make a difference: panel data estimates from principles of economics courses,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 336–340, 1991.
- P. W. Grimes, “Economic education for at-risk students: an evaluation of choices & changes,” The American Economist, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 71–83, 1995.
- C. L. Harter and J. H. Harter, “Assessing the effectiveness of financial fitness for life in eastern Kentucky,” Journal of Applied Economics and Policy, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 20–33, 2009.
- J. R. Swinton, T. DeBerry, B. Scafidi, and H. C. Woodard, “The impact of financial education workshops for teachers on Students’ economic achievement,” Education Economics, vol. 24, pp. 63–77, 2007.
- J. R. Swinton, T. DeBerry, B. Scafidi, and H. C. Woodard, “Does in-service professional learning for high school economics teachers improve student achievement?” Education Economics, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 395–405, 2010.
- J. R. Swinton, B. Scafidi, and H. Woodard, The Impact of the Teaching High School Economics Workshop for Teachers on Student Achievement. Georgia College & State University Economics of Education Policy Center Working Paper, 2011.
- W. B. Walstad and S. Buckles, “The national assessment of educational progress in economics: findings for general economics,” American Economic Review, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 541–546, 2008.
- J. D. Angrist and V. Lavy, “Does teacher training affect pupil learning? Evidence from matched comparisons in Jerusalem public schools,” Journal of Labor Economics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 343–369, 2001.
- B. A. Jacob and L. Lefgren, “The impact of teacher training on student achievement: quasi-experimental evidence from school reform efforts in Chicago,” Journal of Human Resources, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 50–79, 2004.
- P. Bressoux, “The effects of Teachers' training on Pupils' achievement: the case of elementary schools in France,” School Effectiveness and School Improvement, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 252–279, 1996.
- M. M. Kennedy, Form and Substance in In-Service Teacher Education. Research Report from the National Institute for Science Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis, USA, 1998.
- R. K. Blank, N. de las Alas, and C. Smith, Does Teacher Professional Development Have Effects on Teaching and Learning?: Analysis of Evaluation Findings from Programs for Mathematics and Science Teachers in 14 States, The Council for Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)Report, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- K. Sosin, B. J. Blecha, R. Agarwal, R. L. Bartlett, and J. I. Daniel, “Efficiency in the use of technology in economic education: some preliminary results,” American Economic Review, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 253–258, 2004.
- M. Bertrand, E. Duflo, and S. Mullainathan, “How much should we trust differences-in-differences estimates?” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 249–275, 2004.
- J. D. Angrist and J. Pischke, Mostly Harmless Econometrics, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 2009.
- A. B. Krueger, Understanding the Magnitude and Effect of Class Size on Student 19. Achievement in The Class Size Debate, Edited by L. Mishel and R. Rothstein, Economics Policy Institute, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- Council for Economic Education (CEE), Virtual Economics v.3: An Interactive Center for Economic Education—Features, http://ve.councilforeconed.org/features/.
- Georgia Department of Education (GaDOEd), Standards, Instruction and Assessment Testing: End of Course Tests (EOCT), http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/ci_testing.aspx?PageReq=CI_TESTING_EOCT.