- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 346858, 7 pages
How to Support Children with Mathematical Learning Disabilities Learning to Play an Instrument?
Department of Experimental Clinical and Health Psychology Developmental Disorders, Ghent University, H. Dunantlaan, 2 B-9000 Ghent, Belgium
Received 10 March 2012; Accepted 5 April 2012
Academic Editor: Terry Stratton
Copyright © 2012 Annemie Desoete. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Dowker, Individual Differences in Arithmetic. Implications for Psychology, Neuroscience and Education, Psychology Press, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- J. Grégoire and A. Desoete, “Mathematical disabilities-an underestimated topic?” Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 171–174, 2009.
- W. J. Barbaresi, S. K. Katusic, R. C. Colligan, A. L. Weaver, and S. J. Jacobsen, “Math learning disorder: incidence in a population- based birth cohort 1976–82, Rochester, Minn,” Ambulatory Pediatrics, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 281–289, 2005.
- D. C. Geary, M. K. Hoard, L. Nugent, and D. H. Bailey, “Mathematical cognition deficits in children with learning disabilities and persistent low achievement: a five-year prospective study,” Journal of Edcuationalal Psychology, vol. 104, pp. 206–223, 2011.
- R. S. Shalev, O. Manor, and V. Gross-Tsur, “Developmental dyscalculia: a prospective six-year follow-up,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 121–125, 2005.
- D. C. Geary, M. K. Hoard, J. Byrd-Craven, L. Nugent, and C. Numtee, “Cognitive mechanisms underlying achievement deficits in children with mathematical learning disability,” Child Development, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 1343–1359, 2007.
- M. Forgeard, G. Schlaug, A. Norton, C. Rosam, and U. Iyengar, “The ralation between music and phonological processing in normal-reading and children with dyslexia,” Music Perception, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 383–390, 2008.
- L. Ganschow, J. Lloyd-Jones, and T. R. Miles, “Dyslexia and musical notation,” Annals of Dyslexia, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 185–202, 1994.
- M. Habib and M. Besson, “What do music training and musical experience teach us about brain plasticity?” Music Perception, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2009.
- S. Hébert, R. Béland, E. Beckett, L. L. Cuddy, I. Peretz, and J. Wolforth, “A case study of music and text dyslexia,” Music Perception, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 369–381, 2008.
- K. Overy, “Dyslexia and music: from timing deficits to musical intervention,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 999, pp. 497–505, 2003.
- K. Overy, R. I. Nicolson, A. J. Fawcett, and E. F. Clarke, “Dyslexia and music: measuring musical timing skills,” Dyslexia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 18–36, 2003.
- B. S. Jaarsma and A. J. J. M. Ruijssenaars, “Kinderen met rekenproblemen en het leren van het muzikale notensysteem. Een exploratief onderzoek [Children with mathematical problems and the learning of the musical system],” Tijdschrift voor Orthopedagogiek, vol. 39, pp. 484–494, 2000.
- K. McCord and M. Fitzgerald, “Children with disabilities playing musical instruments. The entity from which ERIC acquires the content, including journal, organization, and conference names, or by means of online submission from the author,” Music Educators Journal, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 46–52, 2006.
- I. Seidman, Interviewing as Qualitative Research, a Guide for Researchers in Education and the Social Sciences, Teachers College Press, 2006.
- M. Baudonck, A. Debusschere, B. Dewulf, F. Samyn, V. Vercaemst, and A. Desoete, Kortrijkse Rekentest-Revisie [Revised Kortrijk Arithmetic Test], Revalidatiecentrum Overleie, Kortrijk, Belgium, 2006.
- T. De Vos, TTR. Tempotest Rekenen [Arithmetic Number Fact Test], Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse, The Netherlands, 1992.
- P. Stock, A. Desoete, and H. Roeyers, “Detecting children with arithmetic disabilities from kindergarten: evidence from a 3-year longitudinal study on the role of preparatory arithmetic abilities,” Journal of Learning Disabilities, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 250–268, 2010.
- A. Desoete, A. Ceulemans, F. De Weerdt, and S. Pieters, “Can we predict mathematical learning disabilities from symbolic and non-symbolic comparison tasks in kindergarten?” British Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 82, pp. 64–81, 2012.
- B. T. Brus and M. J. M. Voeten, Eén-Minuut-Test: Vorm A en B [One Minute Reading Test], Berkhout., Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1999.
- K. P. Van den Bos, L. H. C. Spelberg, A. J. M. Scheepstra, and J. R. de Vries, De Klepel: Vorm A en B, Berkhout, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 1994.
- J. Geelhoed and P. Reitsma, PI-Dictee [PI-Dictation], Harcourt Test Publishers, Lisse, The Netherlands, 2000.
- M. B. Miles and A. M. Huberman, Qualitative Data Analysis, an Expanded Sourcebook, Sage, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1994.
- D. Mortelmans, Handboek Kwalitatieve Onderzoeksmethoden [Handbook Qualitative Resarch Methods], Acco, Leuven, Belgium, 2007.
- A. Desoete, “Students with mathematical disabilities in Belgium: from definition, classification and assessment to STICORDI devices,” in Advances in Learning and Behavioral Disabilities, T. E. Scruggs and M. A. Mastropieri, Eds., vol. 20, pp. 181–222, International Perspectives Amsterdam & Elsevier Press, Oxford, UK, 2007.