- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789470, 5 pages
Age-Related Grade Inflation Expectancies in a University Environment
Department of Social & Behavioral Sciences, School of Arts & Sciences, University of Houston-Victoria, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901, USA
Received 7 March 2012; Revised 9 September 2012; Accepted 16 September 2012
Academic Editor: Wayne Martino
Copyright © 2012 Donald A. Loffredo and Rick Harrington. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. E. Johnson, Grade Inflation: A Crisis in College Education, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- P. E. Barton and A. Lapointe, Learning By Degrees: Indicators of Performance in Higher Education, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1995.
- N. Spinks and B. Wells, “Trends in the employment process: resumes and job application letters,” Career Development International, vol. 4, pp. 40–45, 1999.
- A. Q. Barriga, Cooper, E. K. Gawelek M. A, K. Butela, and E. . Johnson, “Dialogue and exchange of information about grade inflation can counteract its effects,” College Teaching, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 201–209, 2008.
- J. Felton and P. T. Koper, “Nominal GPA and Real GPA: a simple adjustment that compensates for grade inflation,” Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 561–569, 2005.
- C. F. Eiszler, “College students' evaluations of teaching and grade inflation,” Research in Higher Education, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 483–501, 2002.
- J. Millman, S. P. Slovacek, E. Kulick, and K. J. Mitchell, “Does grade inflation affect the reliability of grades?” Research in Higher Education, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 423–429, 1983.
- A. Kohn, “The dangerous myth of grade inflation,” Chronicle of Higher Education, vol. 49, no. 11, p. B7, 1995.
- R. Landrum, “Student expectations of grade inflation,” Journal of Research and Development in Education, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 124–128, 1999.
- R. E. Redding, “Students' evaluations of teaching fuel grade inflation,” American Psychologist, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1227–1228, 1998.
- J. M. Twenge and W. K. Campbell, The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement, Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- K. D. Ciani, J. J. Summers, and M. A. Easter, “Gender differences in academic entitlement among college students,” Journal of Genetic Psychology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 332–344, 2008.
- G. D. Kuh and S. Hu, “Unraveling the complexity of the increase in college grades from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s,” Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 297–320, 1999.
- B. J. Brummel, “Investigating the role of obligation and entitlement in the prosocial disposition and citizen performance,” Dissertation Abstracts International, vol. 69, no. 11-B, p. 7174, 2009.
- G. Cook, “Grade inflation reaches new heights,” American School Board Journal, vol. 191, no. 6, p. 8, 2004.
- R. L. Ziomek and J. C. Svec, “High school grades and achievement: evidence of grade inflation,” ACT Research Report Series 95-3, American College Testing Program, Iowa City, Iowa, USA, 1995.
- N. C. Weissberg, D. R. Owen, A. H. Jenkins, and E. Harburg, “The incremental variance problem: enhancing the predictability of academic success in an urban, commuter institution,” Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 153–180, 2003.
- S. Lippmann, R. E. Bulanda, and T. C. Wagenaar, “Student entitlement: issues and strategies for confronting entitlement in the classroom and beyond,” College Teaching, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 197–204, 2009.