- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Education Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 954274, 8 pages
Caring Teaching as a Moral Practice: An Exploratory Study on Perceived Dimensions of Caring Teaching
1Department of Education, University of Kurdistan, P.O. Box 416, Sanandaj 15177-66177, Iran
2Department of Teacher Education, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 9 (Siltavuorenpenger 5), 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Received 21 February 2012; Revised 11 June 2012; Accepted 12 June 2012
Academic Editor: Terence J. Lovat
Copyright © 2012 Khalil Gholami and Kirsi Tirri. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Schuitema, G. T. Dam, and W. Veugelers, “Teaching strategies for moral education: a review,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 69–89, 2008.
- H. Sockett and P. LePage, “The missing language of the classroom,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 159–171, 2002.
- J. Husu and K. Tirri, “Developing whole school pedagogical values—a case of going through the ethos of ‘good schooling’,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 390–401, 2007.
- R. V. Bullough, “Ethical and moral matters in teaching and teacher education,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2011.
- C. Fallona, “Manner in teaching: a study in observing and interpreting teachers' moral virtues,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 681–695, 2000.
- D. T. Hansen, “The moral is in the practice,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 643–655, 1998.
- G. Colnerud, “Ethical conflicts in teaching,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 627–635, 1997.
- O. Shapira-Lishchinsky, “Teachers' critical incidents: ethical dilemmas in teaching practice,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 648–656, 2011.
- G. D. Fenstermacher, “Some moral considerations on teaching as a porfession,” in The Moral Dimensions of Teaching, J. I. Goodlad, R. Soder, and K. Sirotnik, Eds., pp. 130–154, Jossey Bass, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1990.
- K. Gholami, “Moral care and caring pedagogy: two dimensions of teachers' praxis,” Pedagogy, Culture & Society, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 133–151, 2011.
- R. Audi, Practical Reasoning and Ethical Decisions, Routledge, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- V. Richardson and G. D. Fenstermacher, “Manner in teaching: the study in four parts,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 631–637, 2001.
- D. T. Hansen, “Reflections on the manner in teaching project,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 729–735, 2001.
- G. D. Fenstermacher, “On the concept of manner and its visibility in teaching practice,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 639–653, 2001.
- J. H. James, “Caring for “others”: examining the interplay of mothering and deficit discourses in teaching,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 165–173, 2012.
- L. Isenbarger and M. Zembylas, “The emotional labour of caring in teaching,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 120–134, 2006.
- K. Webb and J. Blond, “Teacher knowledge: the relationship between caring and knowing janet blond Claiming an Epistemological Role for Caring Theoretical Frame,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 611–625, 1995.
- L. S. Goldstein and V. E. Lake, “‘Love, love, and more love for children: exploring preservice teachers' understandings of caring,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 861–872, 2000.
- N. Noddings, Educating Moral People: A Caring Alternative to Character Education, Teacher College Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- A. de Guzman, R. K. C. Torres, M. M. Uy, J. B. F. Tancioco, E. Y. Siy, and J. R. Hernandez, “From teaching from the heart to teaching with a heart: segmenting filipino college students “views of their teachers“ caring behavior and their orientations as cared-for individuals,” Asia Pacific Education Review, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 487–502, 2008.
- F. Vogt, “A caring teacher: explorations into primary school teachers' professional identity and ethic of care,” Gender and Education, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 251–264, 2002.
- J. Rosiek, “Emotional scaffolding: an exploration of the teacher knowledge at the intersection of student emotion and the subject matter,” Journal of Teacher Education, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 399–412, 2003.
- K. Gholami and J. Husu, “How do teachers reason about their practice? Representing the epistemic nature of teachers' practical knowledge,” Teaching and Teacher Education, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1520–1529, 2010.
- B. Tosolt, “Gender and race differences in middle school students' perceptions of caring teacher behaviors,” Multicultural Perspectives, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 145–151, 2010.
- J. Nias, “Primary teaching as a culture of care School culture,” in School Culture, J. Prosser, Ed., Paul Chapman, London, UK, 1999.
- J. L. Horn, “A rationale and test for the number of factors in factor analysis,” Psychometrika, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 1965.
- J. C. Hayton, D. G. Allen, and V. Scarpello, “Factor retention decisions in exploratory factor analysis: a tutorial on parallel analysis,” Organizational Research Methods, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 191–205, 2004.
- V. Richardson and C. Fallona, “Classroom management as method and manner,” Journal of Curriculum Studies, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 705–728, 2001.
- J. Dunne, “Arguing for teaching as a practice: a reply to alasdair macIntyre,” Journal of Philosophy of Education, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 353–369, 2003.
- J. Dunne, “An intricate fabric: understanding the rationality of practice,” Pedagogy, Culture & Society, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 367–390, 2005.
- D. Carr, “Rival conceptions of practice in education and teaching,” Journal of Philosophy of Education, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 253–266, 2003.
- W. Carr, “Philosophy and education,” Journal of Philosophy of Education, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 55–73, 2004.