Journal of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 689831, 6 pages
Experimental Verification of Vuks Equation Using Hollow Prism Refractometer
1Department of Physics, VES College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Sindhi Society, Chembur, Maharashtra, Mumbai 400071, India
2Department of Physics, Atharva Engineering College, Malad West, Maharashtra, Mumbai 400095, India
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 2 November 2012; Accepted 2 November 2012
Academic Editor: Boris A. Malomed
Copyright © 2012 Anita Kanwar and Priya S. Yadav. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. T. Alkeskjold, J. Lægsgaard, A. Bjarklev et al., “All-optical modulation in dye-doped nematic liquid crystal photonic bandgap fibers,” Optics Express, vol. 12, no. 24, pp. 5857–5871, 2004.
- I. C. Khoo, “Nonlinear optics of liquid crystalline materials,” Physics Reports, vol. 471, no. 5-6, pp. 221–267, 2009.
- J. Yan, L. Rao, M. Jiao, Y. Li, H. C. Cheng, and S. T. Wu, “Polymer-stabilized optically isotropic liquid crystals for next-generation display and photonics applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 7870–7877, 2011.
- W. H. de Jeu, “Physical properties of liquid crystalline materials in relation to their applications,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 83–109, 1980.
- N. V. S. . Rao, V. G. K. M. Pisipati, P. V. Datta Prasad, and P. R. Alapati, “Order parameter and molecular polarizabilities in 60.4, 60.2 and 70.1,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 132, no. 1-2, pp. 1–21, 1986.
- B. Bahadur, Ed., Liquid Crystals: Applications and Uses, vol. 1, World Scientific, New Jersey, NJ, USA, 1990.
- N. V. Tabiryan, A. V. Sukhov, and B. Y. Zel'dovich, “Orientational optical nonlinearity of liquid crystals,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 1–139, 1986.
- C. Motoc and G. Iacobescu, “Birefringence of azo-dye doped nematic liquid crystals,” Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 295–298, 2006.
- A. K. Singh, R. Manohar, J. P. Shukla, and A. M. Biradar, “Refractive indices, order parameter and optical transmittance studies of a nematic liquid crystal mixture,” Acta Physica Polonica A, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 485–493, 2006.
- R. Manohar, A. Kumar Srivastava, Jyotishman, J. P. Shukla, et al., “Dielectric, optical and thermodynamical properties of liquid crystal sample exhibiting SmA phase,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 147–153, 2006.
- M. F. Vuks, “Determination of the optical anisotropy of aromatic molecules from the double refraction of crystals,” Optics and Spectroscopy, vol. 20, p. 361, 1966.
- M. Roushdy, “Properties and thermal phase behaviour of binary mixtures of homologues of unsymmetrically substituted phenyl benzoates,” Egyptian Journal of Solids, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 227–240, 2006.
- J. R. D. Pereira, A. M. Mansanares, A. J. Palangana, and M. L. Baesso, “Temperature dependence of the refractive index near the reentrant-isotropic-calamitic-nematic phase transition,” Physical Review E, vol. 64, no. 1, Article ID 012701, 4 pages, 2001.
- J. Li and S.-T. Wu, “Self-consistency of Vuks equations for liquid-crystal refractive indices,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, no. 11, pp. 6253–6258, 2004.
- J. Li, C.-H. Wen, S. Gauza, et al., “Refractive indices of liquid crystals for display applications,” Journal of Display Technology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 51–61, 2005.
- G. Sureshchandra, P. Prabhu, A. Singh, et al., “Studies of nano-particle doped liquid crystal mixtures,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 511, no. 1, pp. 75/–84/, 2009.
- A. Kanwar and P. S. Yadav, “Temperature and concentration dependence of refractive index of cholesteric liquid crystal solution,” Physical Chemistry: An Indian Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 36–42, 2012.
- S. Singh, “Refractive index measurement and its applications,” Physica Scripta, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 167–180, 2002.
- R. Gupta, J. H. Burnett, U. Griesmann, and M. Walhout, “Absolute refractive indices and thermal coefficients of fused silica and calcium fluoride near 193 nm,” Applied Optics, vol. 37, no. 25, pp. 5964–5968, 1998.
- M. R. Shenoy, S. Roy, and K. Thyagarajan, “Simple prism coupling technique to measure the refractive index of a liquid and its variation with temperature,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1010–1013, 1990.
- J. Gupta Sureshchandra, “New mesophase transitions in cholesteryl chloride using an optical method,” Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 620–621, 1999.
- T. N. Soorya, S. Gupta, A. Kumar, S. Jain, V. P. Arora, and B. Bahadur, “Temperature dependent optical property studies of nematic mixtures,” Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 524–531, 2006.
- J. H. Burnett, R. Guta, and U. Griesmann, “Absolute refractive indices and thermal coefficients of CaF2, SrF2, BaF2, and LiF Near 157 nm,” Applied Optics, vol. 41, no. 13, pp. 2508–2513, 2002.
- J. Li, S. Gauza, and S. T. Wu, “Temperature effect on liquid crystal refractive indices,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 96, no. 1, p. 19, 2004.