- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Bioinformatics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 323472, 10 pages
Gap Detection for Genome-Scale Constraint-Based Models
1Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843083, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
2Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843083, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
3Department of Chemical and Life Science Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, P.O. Box 843083, Richmond, VA 23284, USA
Received 23 April 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: T. Akutsu
Copyright © 2012 J. Paul Brooks et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. D. Price, J. L. Reed, and B. Ø. Palsson, “Genome-scale models of microbial cells: evaluating the consequences of constraints,” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 886–897, 2004.
- I. Thiele, T. D. Vo, N. D. Price, and B. Ø. Palsson, “Expanded metabolic reconstruction of Helicobacter pylori (iIT341 GSM/GPR): an in silico genome-scale characterization of single- and double-deletion mutants,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 187, no. 16, pp. 5818–5830, 2005.
- J. S. Edwards, R. U. Ibarra, and B. O. Palsson, “In silico predictions of Escherichia coli metabolic capabilities are consistent with experimental data,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 125–130, 2001.
- A. R. Joyce, J. L. Reed, A. White et al., “Experimental and computational assessment of conditionally essential genes in Escherichia coli,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 188, no. 23, pp. 8259–8271, 2006.
- J. Förster, I. Famili, B. Ø. Palsson, and J. Nielsen, “Large-scale evaluation of in silico gene deletions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 2003.
- V. S. Kumar, M. S. Dasika, and C. D. Maranas, “Optimization based automated curation of metabolic reconstructions,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 8, article 212, 2007.
- C. S. Henry, M. Dejongh, A. A. Best, P. M. Frybarger, B. Linsay, and R. L. Stevens, “High-throughput generation, optimization and analysis of genome-scale metabolic models,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 977–982, 2010.
- J. L. Reed, T. R. Patel, K. H. Chen et al., “Systems approach to refining genome annotation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 46, pp. 17480–17484, 2006.
- M. Latendresse, M. Krummenacker, M. Trupp, and P. D. Karp, “Construction and completion of flux balance models from pathway databases,” Bioinformatics, vol. 28, pp. 388–396, 2012.
- P. Pharkya, A. P. Burgard, and C. D. Maranas, “OptStrain: a computational framework for redesign of microbial production systems,” Genome Research, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2367–2376, 2004.
- D. Segrè, J. Zucker, J. Katz et al., “From annotated genomes to metabolic flux models and kinetic parameter fitting,” OMICS A Journal of Integrative Biology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 301–316, 2003.
- P. R. Romero and P. Karp, “Nutrient-related analysis of pathway/genome databases,” Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, pp. 471–482, 2001.
- M. Arita, “Metabolic reconstruction using shortest paths,” Simulation Practice and Theory, vol. 8, no. 1-2, pp. 109–125, 2000.
- D. C. McShan, S. Rao, and I. Shah, “PathMiner: predicting metabolic pathways by heuristic search,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 1692–1698, 2003.
- T. Gaasterland and E. Selkov, “Reconstruction of metabolic networks using incomplete information,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Systems in Molecular Biology, pp. 127–135, 1995.
- A. M. Feist and B. Ø. Palsson, “The growing scope of applications of genome-scale metabolic reconstructions using Escherichia coli,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 659–667, 2008.
- E. P. Gianchandani, M. A. Oberhardt, A. P. Burgard, C. D. Maranas, and J. A. Papin, “Predicting biological system objectives de novo from internal state measurements,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, article 43, 2008.
- M. J. Herrgård, S. S. Fong, and B. Ø. Palsson, “Identification of genome-scale metabolic network models using experimentally measured flux profiles,” PLoS Computational Biology, vol. 2, no. 7, article e72, 2006.
- H. Jeong, B. Tombor, R. Albert, Z. N. Oltval, and A. L. Barabásl, “The large-scale organization of metabolic networks,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6804, pp. 651–654, 2000.
- M. Arita, “The metabolic world of Escherichia coli is not small,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 1543–1547, 2004.
- P. Kharchenko, L. Chen, Y. Freund, D. Vitkup, and G. M. Church, “Identifying metabolic enzymes with multiple types of association evidence,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 7, article 177, 2006.
- E. W. Dijkstra, “A note on two problems in connexion with graphs,” Numerische Mathematik, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 269–271, 1959.
- M. Kanehisa and S. Goto, “KEGG: kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 27–30, 2000.
- R. Caspi and P. D. Karp, “Using the MetaCyc pathway database and the BioCyc database collection,” Current Protocols in Bioinformatics, chapter 1, unit 1.17, 2007.
- I. Vastrik, P. D'Eustachio, E. Schmidt et al., “Reactome: a knowledge base of biologic pathways and processes,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 3, article R39, 2007.
- M. Dauner and U. Sauer, “Stoichiometric growth model for riboflavin-producing bacillus subtilis,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 132–143, 2001.
- S. B. Roberts, J. L. Robichaux, A. K. Chavali et al., “Proteomic and network analysis characterize stage-specific metabolism in Trypanosoma cruzi,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 3, article 52, 2009.
- J. L. Reed, T. D. Vo, C. H. Schilling, and B. O. Palsson, “An expanded genome-scale model of Escherichia coli K-12 (iJR904 GSM/GPR),” Genome Biology, vol. 4, no. 9, p. R54, 2003.