- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Bioinformatics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 790567, 10 pages
Comparing Imputation Procedures for Affymetrix Gene Expression Datasets Using MAQC Datasets
1Department of Biostatistics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
2Center for Computational Research, University at Buffalo, NYS Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, Buffalo, NY 14203, USA
3Department of Biostatistics, SUNY University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Received 26 June 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Shandar Ahmad
Copyright © 2013 Sreevidya Sadananda Sadasiva Rao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Troyanskaya, M. Cantor, G. Sherlock et al., “Missing value estimation methods for DNA microarrays,” Bioinformatics, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 520–525, 2001.
- H. Wold, “Path models with latent variables: the NIPALS approach,” in Quantitative Sociology: International Perspectives on Mathematical and Statistical Modeling, pp. 307–357, 1975.
- S. Oba, M. Sato, I. Takemasa, M. Monden, K. Matsubara, and S. Ishii, “A Bayesian missing value estimation method for gene expression profile data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 16, pp. 2088–2096, 2003.
- T. H. Bø, B. Dysvik, and I. Jonassen, “LSimpute: accurate estimation of missing values in microarray data with least squares methods,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, no. 3, p. e34, 2004.
- H. Kim, G. H. Golub, and H. Park, “Missing value estimation for DNA microarray gene expression data: local least squares imputation,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 187–198, 2005.
- M. Ouyang, W. J. Welsh, and P. Georgopoulos, “Gaussian mixture clustering and imputation of microarray data,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 917–923, 2004.
- J. C. Miecznikowski, S. Damodaran, K. F. Sellers, D. E. Coling, R. Salvi, and R. A. Rabin, “A comparison of imputation procedures and statistical tests for the analysis of two-dimensional electrophoresis data,” Proteome Science, vol. 9, p. 14, 2011.
- G. N. Brock, J. R. Shaffer, R. E. Blakesley, M. J. Lotz, and G. C. Tseng, “Which missing value imputation method to use in expression profiles: a comparative study and two selection schemes,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 12, 2008.
- M. Celton, A. Malpertuy, G. Lelandais, and A. G. de Brevern, “Comparative analysis of missing value imputation methods to improve clustering and interpretation of microarray experiments,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 15, 2010.
- S. Oh, D. D. Kang, G. N. Brock, and G. C. Tseng, “Biological impact of missing-value imputation on downstream analyses of gene expression profiles,” Bioinformatics, vol. 27, no. 1, Article ID btq613, pp. 78–86, 2011.
- R. Mei, X. Di, T. B. Ryder et al., “Analysis of high density expression microarrays with signed-rank call algorithms,” Bioinformatics, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1593–1599, 2002.
- R. Gentleman, V. Carey, W. Huber, R. Irizarry, and S. Dudoit, “Bioinformatics and computational biology solutions using R and Bioconductor,” Statistics for Biology and Health, 2005.
- L. Gautier, L. Cope, B. M. Bolstad, and R. A. Irizarry, “Affy-Analysis of Affymetrix GeneChip data at the probe level,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2004.
- L. Shi, “The MicroArray Quality Control (MAQC) project shows inter- and intraplatform reproducibility of gene expression measurements,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1151–1161, 2006.
- J. J. Chen, H. Hsueh, R. R. Delongchamp, C. Lin, and C. Tsai, “Reproducibility of microarray data: a further analysis of microarray quality control (MAQC) data,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 412, 2007.
- L. Shi, W. D. Jones, R. V. Jensen et al., “The balance of reproducibility, sensitivity, and specificity of lists of differentially expressed genes in microarray studies,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, supplement 9, p. S10, 2008.
- S. E. Choe, M. Boutros, A. M. Michelson, G. M. Church, and M. S. Halfon, “Preferred analysis methods for Affymetrix GeneChips revealed by a wholly defined control dataset,” Genome Biology, vol. 6, no. 2, p. R16, 2005.
- Q. Zhu, J. C. Miecznikowski, and M. S. Halfon, “Preferred analysis methods for Affymetrix GeneChips. II. An expanded, balanced, wholly-defined spike-in dataset,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 285, 2010.
- Q. Zhu, J. C. Miecznikowski, and M. S. Halfon, “A wholly defined Agilent microarray spike-in dataset,” Bioinformatics, vol. 27, no. 9, Article ID btr135, pp. 1284–1289, 2011.
- I. Affymetrix, “Statistical algorithms description document,” Technical Paper, 2002.
- C. L. Wilson and C. J. Miller, “Simpleaffy: a BioConductor package for Affymetrix Quality Control and data analysis,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 18, pp. 3683–3685, 2005.
- R. C. Gentleman, V. J. Carey, D. M. Bates et al., “Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and bioinformatics,” Genome Biology, vol. 5, no. 10, p. R80, 2004.
- T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, B. Narasimhan, and G. Chu, Impute: Imputation for Microarray Data, 1999, R package version 1.10.0.
- T.H. BBø, B. Dysvik, and I. Jonassen, “Lsimpute: Accurate estimation of missing values in microarray data with least squares methods,” 2005, http://www.ii.uib.no/~trondb/imputation/.
- D. V. Nguyen, N. Wang, and R. J. Carroll, “Evaluation of missing value estimation for microarray data,” Journal of Data Science, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 347–370, 2004.
- W. Stacklies and H. Redestig, PcaMethods: A Collection of PCA Methods, 2007, R package version 1.18.0.
- S. S. Sadasiva Rao, L. A. Shepherd, A. E. Bruno, S. Liu, and J. C. Miecznikowski, “A full analysis of imputation procedures for Affymetrix gene expression datasets,” Technical Report 1202, SUNY University at Buffalo-Department of Biostatistics, Buffalo, NY, USA, 2012.
- T. A. Patterson, E. K. Lobenhofer, S. B. Fulmer-Smentek et al., “Performance comparison of one-color and two-color platforms within the MicroArray Quality Control (MAQC) project,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1140–1150, 2006.
- Z. Wen, C. Wang, Q. Shi et al., “Evaluation of gene expression data generated from expired Affymetrix GeneChip® microarrays using MAQC reference RNA samples,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 11, supplement 6, p. S10, 2010.
- J. Luo, M. Schumacher, A. Scherer et al., “A comparison of batch effect removal methods for enhancement of prediction performance using MAQC-II microarray gene expression data,” Pharmacogenomics Journal, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 278–291, 2010.
- K. Kadota and K. Shimizu, “Evaluating methods for ranking differentially expressed genes applied to microArray quality control data,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 227, 2011.
- T. Aittokallio, “Dealing with missing values in large-scale studies: microarray data imputation and beyond,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 11, no. 2, Article ID bbp059, pp. 253–264, 2009.
- J. Tuikkala, L. L. Elo, O. S. Nevalainen, and T. Aittokallio, “Missing value imputation improves clustering and interpretation of gene expression microarray data,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 202, 2008.
- A. Liew, N. Law, and H. Yan, “Missing value imputation for gene expression data: computational techniques to recover missing data from available information,” Briefings in Bioinformatics, vol. 12, no. 5, Article ID bbq080, pp. 498–513, 2011.
- B. M. Bolstad, R. A. Irizarry, M. Åstrand, and T. P. Speed, “A comparison of normalization methods for high density oligonucleotide array data based on variance and bias,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2003.
- R. A. Irizarry, B. M. Bolstad, F. Collin, L. M. Cope, B. Hobbs, and T. P. Speed, “Summaries of Affymetrix GeneChip probe level data,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 31, no. 4, p. e15, 2003.
- R. A. Irizarry, B. Hobbs, F. Collin et al., “Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data,” Biostatistics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 249–264, 2003.
- Z. Wu, R. A. Irizarry, R. Gentleman, F. Martinez-Murillo, and F. Spencer, “A model-based background adjustment for oligonucleotide expression arrays,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 99, no. 468, pp. 909–917, 2004.
- A. R. Dabney and J. D. Storey, “A reanalysis of a published Affymetrix GeneChip control dataset,” Genome Biology, vol. 7, no. 3, p. 401, 2006.
- D. P. Gaile and J. C. Miecznikowski, “Putative null distributions corresponding to tests of differential expression in the Golden Spike dataset are intensity dependent,” BMC Genomics, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 105, 2007.
- J. M. Perkel, “Six things you won't find in the MAQC,” The Scientist, vol. 20, no. 11, p. 68, 2007.
- P. Liang, “MAQC papers over the cracks,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 27–28, 2007.
- L. Shi, W. D. Jones, R. V. Jensen et al., “Reply to MAQC papers over the cracks,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 25, pp. 28–29, 2007.