- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Fuzzy Systems
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 106354, 14 pages
Effect of Rating Modification on a Fuzzy-Based Modular Architecture for Medical Device Design and Development
1Industrial and Systems Engineering, Wayne State University, 4851 Fourth Street, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
2Mechanical Engineering Department, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore, India
Received 28 March 2012; Revised 31 July 2012; Accepted 31 August 2012
Academic Editor: Ajith Abraham
Copyright © 2012 Celestine C. Aguwa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. C. Aguwa, L. Monplaisir, P. A. Sylajakumari, and R. K. Muni, “Integrated fuzzy-based modular architecture for medical device design and development,” Journal of Medical Devices, vol. 4, no. 3, Article ID 031007, 10 pages, 2010.
- C. Aguwa, L. Monplaisir, and A. S. Prasanth, “Rules modification on a fuzzy-based modular architecture for medical device design and development,” IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 50–61, 2012.
- G. Pahl and W. Beitz, Engineering Design: a Systematic Approach, Springer, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1984.
- B. Nepal, L. Monplaisir, and N. Singh, “Integrated fuzzy logic-based model for product modularization during concept development phase,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 157–174, 2005.
- C. Aguwa and L. Monplaisir, “Collaborative architecture framework for the design & manufacturing of medical devices,” in Proceedings of the Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET '09), pp. 2246–2249, August 2009.
- C. C. Aguwa and L. Monplaisir, “Modular architecture for medical device design & manufacturing,” in Proceedings of the IIE Annual Conference, Miami, Fla, USA, 2009.
- P. Dunne, “Design and manufacture of a multiple material sample for implantation testing of thermoplastic materials used in a medical device,” Polymer Testing, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 684–687, 2005.
- P. McAllister and J. Jeswiet, “Medical device regulation for manufacturers,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, vol. 217, no. 6, pp. 459–467, 2003.
- S. Sanderson and M. Uzumeri, “Managing product families: the case of the Sony Walkman,” Research Policy, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 761–782, 1995.
- T. W. Simpson and B. S. D'Souza, “Assessing variable levels of platform commonality within a product family using a multiobjective genetic algorithm,” Concurrent Engineering Research and Applications, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 119–129, 2004.
- T. W. Simpson, J. R. Maier, and F. Mistree, “Product platform design: method and application,” Research in Engineering Design, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 2–22, 2001.
- Intertek, “The top 10 reasons medical devices fail—product certification testing the first time,” 2008, http://www.intertek-etlsemko.com.
- Blachford, “Glucometer test kit, how products are made?” 2002, http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/glucometer-test-kit.
- S. K. Das and J. B. Almonor, “A concurrent engineering approach for the development of medical devices,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 139–147, 2000.
- R. M. T. Lu and K. A. Mazouz, “A conceptual model of data warehousing for medical device manufacturers,” in Proceedings of the 22nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 1279–1284, Chicago, Ill, USA, July 2000.
- R. C. Newton, O. T. Mytton, R. Aggarwal et al., “Making existing technology safer in healthcare,” Quality & Safety Healthcare, vol. 19, supplement 2, pp. 15–24, 2010.
- Q. H. Yang, G. N. Qi, Y. J. Lu, and X. J. Gu, “Applying mass customization to the production of industrial steam turbines,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 20, no. 2-3, pp. 178–188, 2007.
- B. Nepal, L. Monplaisir, and N. Singh, “A methodology to optimize reliability and durability of product architecture through modularization,” in Proceedings of the IIE Annual Conference and Exhibition, pp. 1257–1262, May 2004.
- T. Takagi and M. Sugeno, “Fuzzy identification of systems and its applications to modeling and control,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 116–132, 1985.
- B. Zhang, Y. Wu, J. Lu, and K. L. Du, “Evolutionary computation and its applications in neural and fuzzy systems,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, vol. 2011, Article ID 938240, 20 pages, 2011.
- Y. Yi-Min, Y. Yan, and L. Li, “Adaptive backstepping fuzzy control based on type-2 fuzzy system,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 658424, 27 pages, 2012.
- A. M. Subiyanto, “Hopfield neural network optimized fuzzy logic controller for maximum power point tracking in a photovoltaic system,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2012, Article ID 798361, 13 pages, 2012.
- T. Zhao, G. Lu, Y. Hao, and Y. Li, “The hybrid adaptive control of T-S fuzzy system based on niche,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, vol. 2012, Article ID 158720, 15 pages, 2012.
- F. Villecco and A. Pellegrino, “Design optimization of a natural gas substation with intensification of the energy cycle,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2010, Article ID 294102, 10 pages, 2010.
- H. S. Sii, T. Ruxton, and J. Wang, “A fuzzy-logic-based approach to qualitative safety modelling for marine systems,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 19–34, 2001.
- Y. T. Tsai and K. S. Wang, “Development of modular-based design in considering technology complexity,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 692–703, 1999.
- O. P. Yadav, N. Singh, R. B. Chinnam, and P. S. Goel, “A fuzzy logic based approach to reliability improvement estimation during product development,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 63–74, 2003.
- C. Temponi, J. Yen, and W. A. Tiao, “House of quality: a fuzzy logic-based requirements analysis,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 340–354, 1999.
- T. A. Saaty, Theory and Applications of the Analytical Network Process: Decision Making With Benefits, Opportunities, Cost and Risks, Pittsburgh-RWS Publications, 2005.
- A. A. Yassine, “An introduction to modeling and analyzing complex product development processes using the design structure matrix (DSM) method,” Quaderni Di Management, no. 9, 2004.
- S. M. Salhieh and A. K. Kamrani, “Macro level product development using design for modularity,” Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 319–329, 1999.
- B. Pesach, “Wearable glucometer,” Patent EP 1711101, (European Application Register), 2006.
- N. P. Suh, “Designing-in of quality through axiomatic design,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 256–264, 1995.
- T. C. Kuo, S. H. Huang, and H. C. Zhang, “Design for manufacture and design for ‘X’: concepts, applications, and perspectives,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 241–260, 2001.