Research Article | Open Access
John W. Sij, David G. Bordovsky, David L. Jones, Jeffery E. Slosser, "Utilizing Subsurface Drip Irrigation and Conservation Tillage in Cotton Production Systems", SRX Agriculture, vol. 2010, Article ID 725381, 6 pages, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3814/2010/725381
Utilizing Subsurface Drip Irrigation and Conservation Tillage in Cotton Production Systems
Ground water resources for irrigated agriculture are becoming increasing limited in semiarid regions of the world. Subsurface drip irrigation (SDI) and a no-till conservation tillage system were evaluated over 3 years on cotton (Gossypium hirsutum, L.) production and fiber quality in north Texas. Subsurface drip irrigation significantly increased cotton yields over that from furrow irrigation in 2 of 3 yr. When averaged over 3 yr, the cover crop treatments on 1 and 2 m drip line spacing and a 100% ET replacement yielded numerically more than the companion treatments without a cover crop. Across years, the SDI treatments significantly increased loan values by an average of 0.045 over furrow-irrigated cotton. Within SDI, deficit irrigation did not appear to affect cotton yield in proportion to the amount of restricted irrigation. In 2003, a 50% reduction in ET replacement under conventional tillage reduced yield only 22%, indicating that a 100% ET replacement may not be necessary to produce economically acceptable yields. Results from this study provide preliminary evidence that cover crops may actually prove beneficial under SDI systems and could play a role in developing best management practices that incorporate conservation tillage practices.
- H. K. Barth, “Sustainable and effective irrigation through a new subsoil irrigation system (SIS),” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 40, no. 2-3, pp. 283–290, 1999.
- T. A. Howell, “Enhancing water use efficiency in irrigated agriculture,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 281–289, 2001.
- C. R. Camp, “Subsurface drip irrigation: a review,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1353–1367, 1998.
- J. E. Ayars, C. J. Phene, R. B. Hutmacher et al., “Subsurface drip irrigation of row crops: a review of 15 years of research at the Water Management Research Laboratory,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 1999.
- F. R. Lamm and T. P. Trooien, “Subsurface drip irrigation for corn production: a review of 10 years of research in Kansas,” Irrigation Science, vol. 22, no. 3-4, pp. 195–200, 2003.
- S. P. Bhattarai, A. D. McHugh, G. Lotz, and D. J. Midmore, “The response of cotton to subsurface drip and furrow irrigation in a vertisol,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 29–49, 2006.
- G. Oron, Y. DeMalach, L. Gillerman, I. David, and V. P. Rao, “Improved saline-water use under subsurface drip irrigation,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 19–33, 1999.
- J. E. Ayars, R. A. Schoneman, F. Dale, B. Meso, and P. Shouse, “Managing subsurface drip irrigation in the presence of shallow ground water,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 243–264, 2001.
- P. D. Colaizzi, A. D. Schneider, S. R. Evett, and T. A. Howell, “Comparison of SDI, LEPA, and spray irrigation performance for grain sorghum,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 1477–1492, 2004.
- B. R. Hanson, R. B. Hutmacher, and D. M. May, “Drip irrigation of tomato and cotton under shallow saline ground water conditions,” Irrigation and Drainage Systems, vol. 20, no. 2-3, pp. 155–175, 2006.
- R. L. Mikkelsen and W. M. Jarrell, “Application of urea phosphate and urea sulfate to drip-irrigated tomatoes grown in calcareous soil,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 464–468, 1987.
- R. L. Mikkelsen, “Phosphorus fertilization through drip irrigation,” Journal of Production Agriculture, vol. 2, pp. 279–286, 1989.
- C. R. Camp, P. J. Bauer, and P. G. Hunt, “Subsurface drip irrigation lateral spacing and management for cotton in the southeastern Coastal plain,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 993–999, 1997.
- R. B. Sorensen, M. J. Bader, and E. H. Wilson, “Cotton yield and grade response to nitrogen applied daily through a subsurface drip irrigation system,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 13–16, 2004.
- 2007 Texas Agricultural Statistics, USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, Texas Field Office, Texas Department of Agriculture, Austin, Tex, USA, 2006.
- D. M. O'Brien, D. H. Rogers, F. R. Lamm, and G. A. Clark, “An economic comparison of subsurface drip and center pivot sprinkler irrigation systems,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 391–398, 1998.
- F. C. Sharmasarkar, S. Sharmasarkar, L. J. Held, S. D. Miller, G. F. Vance, and R. Zhang, “Agroeconomic analyses of drip irrigation for sugarbeet production,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 517–523, 2001.
- P. D. Colaizzi, “Subsurface drip irrigation (SDI) research update at Bushland, TX,” Wetting Front: Soil and Water Management Research Unit News, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2006.
- A. H. K. Darusman, A. H. Khan, L. R. Stone, W. E. Spurgeon, and F. R. Lamm, “Water flux below the root zone vs. irrigation amount in drip-irrigated corn,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 375–379, 1997.
- P. B. Charlesworth and W. A. Muirhead, “Crop establishment using subsurface drip irrigation: a comparison of point and area sources,” Irrigation Science, vol. 22, no. 3-4, pp. 171–176, 2003.
- T. A. Howell, A. D. Schneider, and S. R. Evett, “Subsurface and surface microirrigation of corn—southern high plains,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 635–641, 1997.
- J. M. Enciso, P. D. Colaizzi, and W. L. Multer, “Economic analysis of subsurface drip irrigation lateral spacing and installation depth for cotton,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 197–204, 2005.
- C. R. Camp, P. J. Bauer, and W. J. Busscher, “Evaluation of no-tillage crop production with subsurface drip irrigation on soils with compacted layers,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 911–917, 1999.
- G. L. Ritchie, C. W. Bednarz, P. H. Jost, and S. M. Brown, “Cotton Growth and Development,” University of Georgia Cooperative Extension, Athens, Greece, December 2009, http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/B1252.htm.
Copyright © 2010 John W. Sij et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.