- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Physical Chemistry
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 863173, 8 pages
Equilibrium, Kinetics, and Thermodynamics of the Removal of Nickel(II) from Aqueous Solution Using Cow Hooves
1Department of Chemical Sciences, Afe Babalola University, PMB 5454, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria
2Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Technology, PMB 704, Akure, Nigeria
Received 16 January 2014; Accepted 30 April 2014; Published 19 May 2014
Academic Editor: Jeffrey M. Zaleski
Copyright © 2014 I. Osasona et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Ajjabi and L. Chouba, “Biosorption of Cu2+ and Zn2+ from aqueous solutions by dried marine green macroalga Chaetomorpha linum,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 3485–3489, 2009.
- I. Osasona, A. O. Adebayo, and O. O. Ajayi, “Biosorption of Pb (II) from aqueous solution using cow hooves: kinetics and thermodynamics,” ISRN Physical Chemistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 171865, 8 pages, 2013.
- V. Padmavathy, P. Vasudevan, and S. C. Dhingra, “Biosorption of nickel(II) ions on Baker's yeast,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1389–1395, 2003.
- P. Sujatha, V. Kalarani, and B. N. Kumar, “Effective biosorption of nickel (II) from Aqueous solution using Trichoderma viride,” Journal of Chemistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 716098, 7 pages, 2013.
- M. Sitting, Toxic Metals—Pollution Control and Worker Protection, Noyes Data Corporation, Park Ridge, NJ, USA, 1976.
- Y. Kung and C. L. Drennan, “A role for nickel-iron cofactors in biological carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide utilization,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 276–283, 2011.
- C. E. Borba, R. Guirardello, E. A. Silva, M. T. Veit, and C. R. G. Tavares, “Removal of nickel(II) ions from aqueous solution by biosorption in a fixed bed column: experimental and theoretical breakthrough curves,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2006.
- A. K. Meena, G. K. Mishra, P. K. Rai, C. Rajagopal, and P. N. Nagar, “Removal of heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions using carbon aerogel as an adsorbent,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 122, no. 1-2, pp. 161–170, 2005.
- H. D. Doan, J. Wu, and R. Mitzakov, “Combined electrochemical and biological treatment of industrial wastewater using porous electrodes,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1398–1408, 2006.
- World Health Organization, Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality, Incorporating First Addendum to Third Edition, vol. 1, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 3rd edition, 2006.
- I. Mobasherpour, E. Salahi, and M. Pazouki, “Removal of nickel (II) from aqueous solutions by using nano-crystalline calcium hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2011.
- M. A. Tofighy and T. Mohammadi, “Adsorption of divalent heavy metal ions from water using carbon nanotube sheets,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- M. A. Khan, R. A. K. Rao, and M. Ajmal, “Heavy metal pollution and its control through nonconventional adsorbents (1998–2007): a review,” Journal of International Environmental Application and Science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 101–141, 2008.
- N. Kuyucak and B. Volesky, “Biosorbents for recovery of metals from industrial solutions,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 137–142, 1988.
- D. Sud, G. Mahajan, and M. P. Kaur, “Agricultural waste material as potential adsorbent for sequestering heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions—a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 14, pp. 6017–6027, 2008.
- P. E. Aikpokpodion, R. R. Ipinmoroti, and S. M. Omotoso, “Biosorption of nickel (II) from aqueous solution using waste tea (Camella cinencis) materials,” The American-Eurasian Journal of Toxicological Sciences, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 72–82, 2010.
- M. N. Zafar, R. Nadeem, and M. A. Hanif, “Biosorption of nickel from protonated rice bran,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 143, no. 1-2, pp. 478–485, 2007.
- H. Rehman, M. Shakirullah, I. Ahmad, S. Shah, and H. Hameedullah, “Sorption studies of nickel ions onto sawdust of Dalbergia sissoo,” Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1045–1052, 2006.
- P. X. Sheng, Y.-P. Ting, J. P. Chen, and L. Hong, “Sorption of lead, copper, cadmium, zinc, and nickel by marine algal biomass: characterization of biosorptive capacity and investigation of mechanisms,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 131–141, 2004.
- Z. Reddad, C. Gerente, Y. Andres, and P. Le Cloirec, “Adsorption of several metal ions onto a low-cost biosorbent: kinetic and equilibrium studies,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2067–2073, 2002.
- K. Vijayaraghavan and Y.-S. Yun, “Bacterial biosorbents and biosorption,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 266–291, 2008.
- A. Esposito, F. Pagnanelli, and F. Vegliò, “pH-related equilibria models for biosorption in single metal systems,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 307–313, 2002.
- L. Norton, K. Baskaran, and T. McKenzie, “Biosorption of zinc from aqueous solutions using biosolids,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 629–635, 2004.
- M. Riaz, R. Nadeem, M. A. Hanif, T. M. Ansari, and K.-U. Rehman, “Pb(II) biosorption from hazardous aqueous streams using Gossypium hirsutum (Cotton) waste biomass,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2009.
- K. H. Kok, M. I. A. Karim, A. Ariff, and S. A. Aziz, “Removal of cadmium, copper and lead from tertiary metals system using biomass of Aspergillus flavus,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 474–478, 2002.
- I. Osasona, O. O. Ajayi, and A. O. Adebayo, “Equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamics of the biosorption of Zn (II) from aqueous solution using powdered cow hooves,” ISRN Physical Chemistry, vol. 2013, Article ID 865219, 7 pages, 2013.
- J. Tangaromsuk, P. Pokethitiyook, M. Kruatrachue, and E. S. Upatham, “Cadmium biosorption by Sphingomonas paucimobilis biomass,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 103–105, 2002.
- G. M. Gadd, P. R. Norris, and D. P. Kelly, “Heavy metal and radionuclide by fungi and yeasts,” in Biohydrometallurgy, A. Rowe, Ed., Chippenham, Wilts, UK, 1988.
- G. M. Gadd, “Heavy metal accumulation by bacteria and other microorganisms,” Experientia, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 834–840, 1990.
- M. E. Argun, S. Dursun, C. Ozdemir, and M. Karatas, “Heavy metal adsorption by modified oak sawdust: thermodynamics and kinetics,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2007.
- R. Han, W. Zou, W. Yu, S. Cheng, Y. Wang, and J. Shi, “Biosorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by fallen phoenix tree's leaves,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 156–162, 2007.