Research Article | Open Access
Role of the precorrin 6-X reductase gene in cobamide biosynthesis in Methanococcus maripaludis
In Methanococcus maripaludis strain JJ, deletion of the homolog to cbiJ, which encodes the corrin biosynthetic enzyme precorrin 6-X reductase, yielded an auxotroph that required either cobamide or acetate for good growth. This phenotype closely resembled that of JJ117, a mutant in which tandem repeats were introduced into the region immediately downstream of the homolog of cbiJ. Mutant JJ117 also produced low quantities of cobamides, about 15 nmol g–1 protein or 1–2% of the amount found in wild-type cells. These results confirm the role of the cbiJ homolog in cobamide biosynthesis in the Archaea and suggest the presence of low amounts of a bypass activity in these organisms.
- D. R. Abbanat and J. G. Ferry, “Resolution of component proteins in an enzyme complex from Methanosarcina thermophila catalyzing the synthesis or cleavage of acetyl-CoA,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 88, pp. 3272–3276, 1991.
- F. M. Ausubel, R. Brent, R. E. Kingston, D. D. Moore, J. A. Smith, J. G. Seidman, and K. Struhl, “Current protocols in molecular biology,” p. 4, Green Publishing Associates and Wiley-Interscience,, New York, Unit 2.4, 1994.
- F. Blanche, C. Robin, M. Couder, D. Faucher, L. Cauchois, B. Cameron, and J. Crouzet, “Purification, characterization, and molecular cloning of S-adenosyl-L-methionine:uroporphyrinogen III methyltransferase from Methanobacterium ivanovii,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 173, pp. 4637–4645, 1991.
- F. Blanche, D. Thibaut, A. Famechon, L. Debussche, B. Cameron, and J. Crouzet, “Precorrin-6x reductase from Pseudomonas denitrificans: purification and characterization of the enzyme and identification of the structural gene,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 174, pp. 1036–1042, 1992.
- R. De Mot, I. Nagy, G. Schoofs, and J. Vanderleyden, “Sequences of the cobalamin biosynthetic genes cobK, cobL and cobM from Rhodococcus sp. NI86/21.,” Gene, vol. 143, pp. 91–93, 1994.
- W. Eisenreich and A. Bacher, “Biosynthesis of 5-hydroxybenzimidazolylcobamid (factor III) in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” J. Biol. Chem., vol. 266, pp. 23840–23849, 1991.
- M. V. Fonseca and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “An in vitro reducing system for the enzymic conversion of cobalamin to adenosylcobalamin,” J. Biol. Chem., vol. 276, pp. 32101–32108, 2001.
- W. L. Gardner and W. B. Whitman, “Expression vectors for Methanococcusmaripaludis: overexpression of acetohydroxyacid synthase and α−galactosidase,” Genetics, vol. 152, pp. 1439–1447, 1999.
- L. G. M. Gorris and C. van der Drift, “Cofactor contents of methanogenic bacteria reviewed,” Biofactors, vol. 4, pp. 139–145, 1994.
- L. G. M. Gorris, C. Van Der Drift, and G. D. Vogels, “Separation and quantification of cofactors from methanogenic bacteria by high–performance liquid chromatography: optimum and routine analyses,” J. Microbiol. Methods, vol. 8, pp. 175–190, 1988.
- E. L. Hendrickson, R. Kaul, Y. Zhou et al., “Complete genome sequence of the genetically tractable hydrogenotrophic methanogen Methanococcus maripaludis.,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 186, pp. 6956–6969, 2004.
- W. Henke, K. Herdel, K. Jung, D. Schnorr, and S. A. Loening, “Betaine improves the PCR amplification of GC-rich DNA sequences,” Nucleic Acids Res., vol. 25, pp. 3957–3958, 1997.
- M. Hildebrandt and W. Nellen, “Library-independent cloning of genomic fragments adjacent to vector integration sites—isolation of the EB4-PSV gene from a Dictyostelium gene disruption transformant,” Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., vol. 181, pp. 884–888, 1991.
- W. J. Jones, M. J. B. Paynter, and R. Gupta, “Characterization of Methanococcus maripaludis sp. nov., a new methanogen isolated from salt marsh sediment.,” Arch. Microbiol., vol. 135, pp. 91–97, 1983.
- W. J. Jones, W. B. Whitman, R. D. Fields, and R. S. Wolfe, “Growth and plating efficiency of methanococci on agar media,” Appl. Environ. Microbiol., vol. 46, pp. 220–226, 1983.
- J. W. Kansy, M. E. Carinato, L. M. Monteggia, and J. Konisky, “In vivo transcripts of the S-layer-encoding structural gene of the archaeon Methanococcus voltae,” Gene, vol. 148, pp. 131–135, 1994.
- S. W. M. Kengen, P. J. H. Daas, E. F. G. Duits, J. T. Keltjens, C. Van Der Drift, and G. D. Vogels, “Isolation of a 5-hydroxylbenzimidazoyl cobamide-containing enzyme involved in the methyltetrahydromethanopterin:coenzyme M methyltransferase reaction in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum,” Biochim. Biophys. Acta, vol. 1118, pp. 249–260, 1992.
- W. Kim and W. B. Whitman, “Isolation of acetate auxotrophs of the methane-producing archaeon Methanococcus maripaludis by random insertional mutagenesis,” Genetics, vol. 152, pp. 1429–1437, 1999.
- L. A. Maggio-Hall and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “In vitro synthesis of the nucleotide loop of cobalamin by Salmonella typhimurium enzymes,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 96, pp. 11798–11803, 1999.
- M. R. Rondon, J. R. Trzebiatowski, and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “Biochemistry and molecular genetics of cobalamin biosynthesis,” Prog. Nucleic Acid Res. Mol. Biol., vol. 56, pp. 347–384, 1997.
- J. Sambrook and D. W. Russell, “Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual,” p. 39, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, Units 6.50–6.55 and A9.38–9., 3rd Edn. edition, 2001.
- P. Scherer, V. Höllriegel, C. Krug, M. Bokel, and P. Renz, “On the biosynthesis of 5-hydroxybenzimidazoylcobamide (vitamin B12–factor III) in Methanosarcina barkeri,” Arch. Microbiol., vol. 148, pp. 354–359, 1984.
- E. Selkov, N. Maltsev, G. J. Olsen, R. Overbeek, and W. B. Whitman, “A reconstruction of the metabolism of Methanococcus jannaschii from sequence data,” Gene, vol. 197, pp. GC11–26, 1997.
- N. Shearer, A. P. Hinsley, R. J. M. Van Spanning, and S. Spiro, “Anaerobic growth of Paracoccus denitrificans requires cobalamin: characterization of cobK and cobJ genes,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 181, pp. 6907–6913, 1999.
- J. Shieh and W. B. Whitman, “Pathway of acetate assimilation in autotrophic and heterotrophic methanococci,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 169, pp. 5327–5329, 1987.
- C. Stathopoulos, W. Kim, and W. Kim, “Cysteinyl-tRNA synthetase is not essential for viability of the archaeon Methanococcus maripaludis,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 98, pp. 14292–14297, 2001.
- E. Stupperich and B. Kräutler, “Pseudo vitamin B12 or 5-hydroxybenzimidazoyl-cobamide are the corrinoids found in methanogenic bacteria,” Arch. Microbiol., vol. 149, pp. 268–271, 1988.
- M. G. Thomas and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “Identification of an alternative nucleoside triphosphate: 5′-deoxyadenosylcobinamide phosphate nucleotidyltransferase in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum ΔH,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 182, pp. 4227–4233, 2000.
- D. L. Tumbula, R. A. Makula, and W. B. Whitman, “Transformation of Methanococcus maripaludis and identification of a PstI-like restriction system,” FEMS Microbiol. Lett., vol. 121, pp. 309–314, 1994.
- D. L. Tumbula, T. L. Bowen, and W. B. Whitman, “Growth of methanogens on solidified medium,” in Archaea: A Laboratory Manual, K. R. Sowers and H. J. Schreier, Eds., pp. 49–55, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, 1995.
- W. B. Whitman, J. Shieh, S. Sohn, D. S. Caras, and U. Premachandran, “Isolation and characterization of 22 mesophilic methanococci,” Syst. Appl. Microbiol., vol. 7, pp. 235–240, 1986.
- J. D. Woodson and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “CbiZ, an amidohydrolase enzyme required for salvaging the coenzyme B12 precursor cobinamide in archaea,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, vol. 101, pp. 3591–3596, 2004.
- J. D. Woodson, R. F. Peck, M. P. Krebs, and J. C. Escalante-Semerena, “The cobY gene of the archaeon Halobacterium sp. Strain NRC-1 is required for de novo cobamide synthesis.,” J. Bacteriol., vol. 185, pp. 311–316, 2003.
Copyright © 2005 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.