- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 823527, 7 pages
Age-Related Health Hazards in Old Patients with First-Time Referral to a Rheumatologist: A Descriptive Study
Department of Rheumatolgy, Sint Maartenskliniek, P.O. Box 9011, 6500 GM Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Received 25 August 2011; Accepted 31 October 2011
Academic Editor: Shigeru Kotake
Copyright © 2011 W. van Lankveld et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Picavet and J. Hazes, “Prevalence of self reported musculoskeletal diseases is high,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 644–650, 2003.
- P. Raina, S. Dukeshire, J. Lindsay, and L. W. Chambers, “Chronic conditions and disabilities among seniors: an analysis of population-based health and activity limitation surveys,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 402–409, 1998.
- E. M. Badley and P. P. Wang, “Arthritis and the aging population: projections of arthritis prevalence in Canada 1991 to 2031,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 138–144, 1998.
- G. Bajocchi, R. La Gorte, A. Locaputo, M. Govoni, and F. Trotta, “Elderly onset rheumatoid arthritis: clinical aspects,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 20, pp. S49–S50, 2000.
- K. A. Hartholt, N. van der Velde, C. W. N. Looman et al., “Trends in fall-related hospital admissions in older persons in the Netherlands,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 10, pp. 905–911, 2010.
- J. Stessman, R. Hammerman-Rozenberg, A. Cohen, E. Ein-Mor, and J. M. Jacobs, “Physical activity, function, and longevity among the very old,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 16, pp. 1476–1483, 2009.
- B. L. Plassman, K. M. Langa, G. G. Fisher et al., “Prevalence of cognitive impairment without dementia in the United States,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 427–434, 2008.
- C. Luanaigh and B. Lawlor, “Loneliness and the health of older people,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1213–1221, 2008.
- A. Fiske, J. L. Wetherell, and M. Gatz, “Depression in older adults,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 5, pp. 363–389, 2009.
- P. E. McGann, “Geriatric assessment for the rheumatologist,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 415–432, 2000.
- W. van Lankveld, M. Franssen, M. van Kessel, and L. van de Putte, “Gerontorheumatologic outpatient service,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 299–301, 2004.
- W. van Lankveld, M. Franssen, and A. Stenger, “Gerontorheumatology: the challenge to meet health-care demands for the elderly with musculoskeletal conditions,” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 419–422, 2005.
- J. F. Fries, P. Spitz, R. G. Kraines, and H. R. Holman, “Measurement of patient outcome in arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 137–145, 1980.
- M. Boers, J. Jacobs, T. Van Vliet Vlieland, and P. Van Riel, “Consensus Dutch health assessment questionnaire,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 132–133, 2007.
- P. M. Ten Klooster, E. Taal, and M. Van De Laar, “Rasch analysis of the dutch health assessment questionnaire disability index and the health assessment questionnaire II in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1721–1728, 2008.
- B. Linn, M. Linn, and L. Gurel, “Cumulative illness rating scale,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 622–626, 1968.
- P. Parmelee, P. Thuras, I. R. Katz, and M. P. Lawton, “Validation of the cumulative illness rating scale in a geriatric residential population,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 130–137, 1995.
- R. Meenan, J. Mason, J. Anderson, A. Guccione, and L. Kazis, “AIMS2: the content and properties of a revised and expanded arthritis impact measurement scales health status questionnaire,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 1992.
- G. C. W. Wendel-Vos, A. J. Schuit, W. H. M. Saris, and D. Kromhout, “Reproducibility and relative validity of the short questionnaire to assess health-enhancing physical activity,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 1163–1169, 2003.
- H. Kemper, W. Ooijendijk, and M. Stiggelbout, “Consensus over de Nederlandse norm voor gezond bewegen,” Tijdschrift voor Sociale Gezondheidszorg, vol. 78, pp. 180–183, 2000.
- R. Pate, M. Pratt, S. N. Blair et al., “Physical activity and public health,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 5, pp. 402–407, 1995.
- M. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “'Mini mental state': a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- J. De Jong Gierveld and F . Kamphuisa, “The development of a Rasch-type loneliness-scale,” Applied Psychological Measurement, vol. 9, pp. 289–299, 1985.
- J. De Jong Gierveld and F . Kamphuisa, “Manual of the loneliness scale,” Department of Social Research Methodology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1999.
- T. G. van Tilburg and J. De Jong Gierveld, “Cesuurbepaling van de eenzaamheidsschaal (cutting scores on the De Jong Gierveld loneliness scale),” Tijdschrift voor Gerontologie en Geriatrie, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 158–163, 1999.
- J. Sheikh and J. Yesavage, “Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and development of a shorter version,” in Clinical Gerontology: A Guide to Assessment and Intervention, pp. 165–173, The Hawthorn Press, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- J. Sheikh, J. Yesavage, J. Brooks et al., “Proposed factor structure of the Geriatric Depression Scale,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 1991.
- J. A. Yesavage, T. L. Brink, and T. L. Rose, “Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–49, 1982.
- D. Weintraub, K. A. Oehlberg, I. R. Katz, and M. B. Stern, “Test characteristics of the 15-item Geriatric Depression Scale and Hamilton Depression Rating Scale in Parkinson disease,” The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2006.
- Statacorp, “Stata statistical software: release10,” StataCorp LP, College Station, Tex, USA, 2009.
- M. Tinetti, M. Speechley, and S. Ginter, “Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 319, no. 26, pp. 1701–1707, 1988.
- B. van den Bemt, F. van den Hoogen, B. Benraad, Y. A. Hekster, P. L. C. M. Van Riel, and W. Van Lankveld, “Adherence rates and associations with nonadherence in patients with rheumatoid arthritis using disease modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2164–2170, 2009.
- H. Samwel, F. Kraaimaat, B. Crul, R. Van Dongen, and A. Evers, “Multidisciplinary allocation of chronic pain treatment: effects and cognitive-behavioural predictors of outcome,” The British Journal of Health Psychology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 405–421, 2009.
- L. C. Pollard, E. H. Choy, J. Gonzalez, B. Khoshaba, and D. L. Scott, “Fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis reflects pain, not disease activity,” Rheumatology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 885–889, 2006.
- M. Tinetti, J. Doucette, E. Claus, and R. Marottoli, “Risk factors for serious injury during falls by older persons in the community,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 1214–1221, 1995.
- M. L. Stek, J. Gussekloo, A. T. F. Beekman, W. Van Tilburg, and R. G. J. Westendorp, “Prevalence, correlates and recognition of depression in the oldest old: the Leiden 85-plus study,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 193–200, 2004.
- K. Nour, S. Laforest, M. Gignac, and L. Gauvin, “Appreciating the predicament of housebound older adults with arthitis,” The Canadian Journal on Aging, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 57–70, 2005.
- M. Man-Son-Hing, B. Power, A. Byszewski, and W. B. Dalziel, “Referral to specialized geriatric services: which elderly people living in the community are likely to benefit?” The Canadian Family Physician, vol. 43, pp. 925–930, 1997.
- D. A. Ganz, T. Higashi, and L. Z. Rubenstein, “Monitoring falls in cohort studies of community-dwelling older people: effect of a recall interval,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 2190–2194, 2005.
- I. Rupp, H. C. Boshuizen, C. E. Jacobi, H. J. Dinant, and G. A. M. Van Den Bos, “Comorbidity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: effects on health related quality of life,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 2004.
- E. Smulders, C. Schreven, V. Weerdesteyn, F. H. J. van Den Hoogen, R. Laan, and W. van Lankveld, “Fall incidence and fall risk factors in people with rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 1795–1796, 2009.
- W. van Lankveld, G. Naring, P. V. P. van't Pad Bosch, and L. Van de Putte, “The negative effect of decreasing the level of activity in coping with pain in rheumatoid arthritis: an increase in psychological distress and disease impact,” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 377–391, 2000.
- V. Weerdesteyn, H. Rijken, A. C. H. Geurts, B. Smits-Engelsman, T. Mulder, and J. Duysens, “A 5-week exercise program can reduce falls and improve obstacle avoidance in the elderly,” Gerontology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 131–141, 2006.
- E. Smulders, V. Weerdesteyn, B. Groen et al., “Efficacy of a short multidisciplinary falls prevention program for elderly persons with osteoporosis and a fall history: a randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 91, no. 11, pp. 1705–1711, 2010.
- K. Nour, S. Laforest, L. Gauvin, and M. Gignac, “Long term maintenance of increased exercise involvement following a self-management intervention for housebound older adults with arthritis,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 4, article 22, 2007.
- N. Stevens, C. Martina, and G. J. Westerhof, “Meeting the need to belong: predicting effects of a friendship enrichment program for older women,” Gerontologist, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 495–505, 2006.
- C. Jonkers, F. Lamers, H. Bosma, J. Metsemakers, G. Kempen, and J. Van Eijk, “Process evaluation of a minimal psychological intervention to reduce depression in chronically ill elderly persons,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 252–257, 2007.
- R. Weiss, M. Wick, P. Ackermann, and S. Montgomery, “Increased fracture risk in patients with rheumatic disorders and other inflammatory diseases. A case control study with 53,108 patients with fracture,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 2247–2250, 2010.