Table of Contents
Biotechnology Research International
Volume 2011, Article ID 907546, 6 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.4061/2011/907546
Research Article

Effect of Terminalia catappa Fruit Meal Fermented by Aspergillus niger as Replacement of Maize on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, and Serum Biochemical Profile of Broiler Chickens

Department of Animal Production, University of Ilorin, P.M.B. 1515, Ilorin 24001, Nigeria

Received 9 June 2010; Accepted 6 August 2010

Academic Editor: Triantafyllos Roukas

Copyright © 2011 David Friday Apata. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

A feeding experiment was conducted to investigate the effect of fermented Terminalia catappa fruit meal (FTCM) with Aspergillus niger as replacement for maize on broiler growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and serum biochemical constituents. Dietary maize was replaced by FTCM at 0, 20, 40, 60, or 80%. One hundred and eighty one-day-old Shaver broiler chicks were randomly allocated to the five dietary treatments, three replicate groups of twelve chicks each for a 42-day period. There was no significant difference ( 𝑃 > . 0 5 ) in the feed intake, weight gain, and feed; gain ratio between the broilers fed on 40% FTCM diet and the control group. The apparent digestibilities of nitrogen, crude fibre, and fat decreased significantly in broilers fed higher levels ( > 40%) of FTCM replacement diets compared with the control or lower FTCM diets. Serum concentrations of total protein, albumin, and globulin were decreased ( 𝑃 < . 0 5 ) on 80% FTCM fed broilers. Serum cholesterol, creatinine, and glucose were not significantly ( 𝑃 > . 0 5 ) altered among treatments. The activities of aspartate and alanine aminotransferases and alkaline phosphatase were significantly ( 𝑃 < . 0 5 ) increased with higher FTCM replacement. The results indicate that FTCM could replace up to 40% of dietary maize in the diets of broiler chickens without adverse effect on growth performance or serum constituents.