- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 292598, 19 pages
Cholesterol: Its Regulation and Role in Central Nervous System Disorders
1Institut für Laboratoriumsmedizin, Vinzenz von Paul Kliniken gGmbH, Adlerstra
2Dipartimento di Scienze Farmacologiche e Biomolecolari, Facoltà di Farmacia, Università di Milano, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milano, Italy
Received 6 July 2012; Revised 3 September 2012; Accepted 10 September 2012
Academic Editor: Gloria L. Vega
Copyright © 2012 Matthias Orth and Stefano Bellosta. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [52 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Laura Anchisi, Sandra Dessì, Alessandra Pani, and Antonella Mandas, “Cholesterol homeostasis: A key to prevent or slow down neurodegeneration,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 3, 2013.
- H. Bobby Fokidis, Hans H. Adomat, Geetanjali Kharmate, Elham Hosseini-Beheshti, Emma S. Guns, and Kiran K. Soma, “Regulation of local steroidogenesis in the brain and in prostate cancer: Lessons learned from interdisciplinary collaboration,” Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Cynthia Hong, and Peter Tontonoz, “Liver X receptors in lipid metabolism: opportunities for drug discovery,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2014.
- B. Kansy, “Erkrankungen der Halslymphknoten im Kindesalter,” Laryngo-Rhino-Otologie, vol. 93, pp. S49–S69, 2014.
- Hassan I. Hassan El-Sayyad, “Cholesterol overload impairing cerebellar function: the promise of natural products,” Nutrition, 2014.
- Amelia J. McFarland, Shailendra Anoopkumar-Dukie, Devinder S. Arora, Gary D. Grant, Catherine M. McDermott, Anthony V. Perkins, and Andrew K. Davey, “Molecular Mechanisms Underlying the Effects of Statins in the Central Nervous System,” International Journal Of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 20607–20637, 2014.
- Prudence Tettey, and Ingrid AF van der Mei, “Lipids in multiple sclerosis: adverse lipid profiles, disability and disease progression,” Clinical Lipidology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 473–475, 2014.
- Marko Brankatschk, Sebastian Dunst, Linda Nemetschke, and Suzanne Eaton, “Delivery of circulating lipoproteins to specific neurons in the Drosophila brain regulates systemic insulin signaling,” eLife, vol. 3, 2014.
- Prudence Tettey, Steve Simpson, Bruce V. Taylor, and Ingrid van der Mei, “Vascular comorbidities in the onset and progression of multiple sclerosis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 2014.
- Digvijay G. Rana, Amrutlal K. Patel, Chaitanya G. Joshi, Mayurdhvaj K. Jhala, and Ramesh K. Goyal, “ Alteration in the expression of exon IIC transcripts of brain-derived neurotrophic factor gene by simvastain in chronic mild stress in mice: a possible link with dopaminergic pathway ,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, pp. 985–992, 2014.
- A. S. Mello, M. P. Goldim, J. Mezzalira, C. S. Garcia, V. V. Daitz, C. D. Castilhos, M. S. Viegas, O. V. Vieira, and J. C. Coelho, “LAMP2 as a marker of EBV-mediated B lymphocyte transformation in the study of lysosomal storage diseases,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 385, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2014.
- Alcibiades E. Villarreal, Rachel Barron, K. S. Rao, and Gabrielle B. Britton, “The Effects of Impaired Cerebral Circulation on Alzheimer's Disease Pathology: Evidence from Animal Studies,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 707–722, 2014.
- Israel José Pereira Garcia, Paula Fernanda Kinoshita, Cristoforo Scavone, Julio Alberto Mignaco, Leandro Augusto de Oliveira Barbosa, and Hérica de Lima Santos, “Ouabain Modulates the Lipid Composition of Hippocampal Plasma Membranes from Rats with LPS-induced Neuroinflammation,” The Journal of Membrane Biology, 2015.
- Rida Rashid, Fatima Ameer, Hubert Kalbacher, Lisa Scandiuzzi, and Nousheen Zaidi, “Aberrant de novo cholesterogenesis: Clinical significance and implications,” Clinica Chimica Acta, 2015.
- John A. Ajiboye, Ochuko L. Erukainure, Babatunde A. Lawal, Viola A. Nwachukwu, Adesewa O. Tugbobo-Amisu, and Ebelechukwu N. Okafor, “Comparative alteration in atherogenic indices and hypocholesteremic effect of palm oil and palm oil mill effluent in normal albino rats,” Heliyon, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. e00010, 2015.
- Feng Zhu, Domenico L. Gatti, and King H. Yang, “Nodal versus Total Axonal Strain and the Role of Cholesterol in Traumatic Brain Injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, 2015.
- Saloni Pasta, Omoye Akhile, Dorothy Tabron, Flora Ting, Cedric Shackleton, and Gordon Watson, “Delivery of the 7-dehydrocholesterol reductase gene to the central nervous system using adeno-associated virus vector in a mouse model of Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism Reports, vol. 4, pp. 92–98, 2015.
- Chiara Giorgi, Catia Fausto, Carla Pardini, Marcella Simili, Renata Del Carratore, and Francesca Vaglini, “Effect of itraconazole on mouse mesencephalic neurons,” International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 2015.
- Alessandra Pecorelli, Giuseppe Belmonte, Ilaria Meloni, Franco Cervellati, Concetta Gardi, Claudia Sticozzi, Claudio De Felice, Cinzia Signorini, Alessio Cortelazzo, Silvia Leoncini, Lucia Ciccoli, Alessandra Renieri, Henry Jay Forman, Joussef Hayek, and Giuseppe Valacchi, “Alteration of serum lipid profqile, SRB1 loss and impaired Nrf2 activation in CDKL5 disorder,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2015.
- Seungmoon Jung, Yong Jeong, and Daejong Jeon, “Epileptic activity during early postnatal life in the AY-9944 model of atypical absence epilepsy,” Cell Calcium, 2015.
- Elisabeth Janecek, Esther Wilk, Klaus Schughart, Robert Geffers, and Christina Strube, “Microarray gene expression analysis reveals major differences between Toxocara canis and Toxocara cati neurotoxocarosis and involvement of T. canis in lipid biosynthetic processes,” International Journal for Parasitology, 2015.
- I. Pedros, D. Petrov, G. Artiach, S. Abad, C. Ramon-Duaso, F. Sureda, M. Pallas, C. Beas-Zarate, J. Folch, and A. Camins, “Adipokine pathways are altered in hippocampus of an experimental mouse model of Alzheimer's disease,” Journal Of Nutrition Health & Aging, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 403–412, 2015.
- Barbara B. Raddatz, Annika Lehmbecker, Arno Kalkuhl, Ulrich Deschl, Wolfgang Baumgärtner, and Reiner Ulrich, “Transcriptional analysis of glial cell differentiation in postnatal murine spinal cord,” International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 2015.
- Hajnalka Lőrincz, Mariann Harangi, Anna V. Oláh, Gabriella P. Szabó, Péter Fülöp, Sándor Somodi, György Paragh, and Ildikó Seres, “Altered lipid subfraction profile and impaired antioxidant defense of high-density lipoprotein in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome,” Pediatric Research, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 703–709, 2015.
- N. S. Yudin, T. M. Mishakova, E. V. Ignatieva, V. N. Maksimov, V. V. Gafarov, S. K. Malyutina, and M. I. Voevod, “Association of dopamine receptor D4 (DRD4) gene polymorphism with cardiovascular disease risk factors,” Russian Journal of Genetics: Applied Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 650–655, 2015.
- Jieun Lee, Joseph Choi, G. William Wong, and Michael J. Wolfgang, “Neurometabolic roles of ApoE and Ldl-R in mouse brain,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, 2015.
- Shahin Mohammadi, Baharak Saberidokht, Shankar Subramaniam, and Ananth Grama, “Scope and limitations of yeast as a model organism for studying human tissue-specific pathways,” BMC Systems Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, 2015.
- Lidia A. Gardner, and Michael C. Levin, “Importance of Apolipoprotein A-I in Multiple Sclerosis,” Frontiers in Pharmacology, vol. 6, 2015.
- Shao-Hua Yang, Wenjun Li, Nathalie Sumien, Michael Forster, James W. Simpkins, and Ran Liu, “Alternative Mitochondrial Electron Transfer for the Treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases and Cancers: Methylene Blue Connects the Dots.,” Progress in Neurobiology, 2015.
- W. Li, R. Wang, S. Zhang, and X. Li, “DAMP, an acidotropic pH indicator, can be used as a tool to visualize non-esterified cholesterol in cells,” Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica, 2015.
- Valerio Leoni, and Claudio Caccia, “The impairment of cholesterol metabolism in Huntington Disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2015.
- Wei-Wei Ma, Chao-Qun Li, Huan-Ling Yu, Dan-Di Zhang, Yuan-Di Xi, Jing Han, Quan-Ri Liu, and Rong Xiao, “The Oxysterol 27-Hydroxycholesterol Increases Oxidative Stress and Regulate Nrf2 Signaling Pathway in Astrocyte Cells,” Neurochemical Research, 2015.
- Bartholomew J. Naughton, F. Jason Duncan, Darren A. Murrey, Aaron S. Meadows, David E. Newsom, Nicoleta Stoicea, Peter White, Douglas W. Scharre, Douglas M. Mccarty, and Haiyan Fu, “Blood Genome-Wide Transcriptional Profiles Reflect Broad Molecular Impairments and Strong Blood-Brain Links in Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 93–108, 2015.
- Masoumeh Dowlatshahi Pour, Eva Jennische, Stefan Lange, Andrew G. Ewing, and Per Malmberg, “Food-induced changes of lipids in rat neuronal tissue visualized by ToF-SIMS imaging,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 32797, 2016.
- Beatrice Arosio, Martina Casati, Cristina Gussago, Evelyn Ferri, Carlo Abbate, Valeria Scortichini, Elena Colombo, Paolo Dionigi Rossi, and Daniela Mari, “Adenosine Type A2A Receptor in Peripheral Cell from Patients with Alzheimer’s Disease, Vascular Dementia, and Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus: A New/Old Potential Target,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, pp. 1–9, 2016.
- Sakhila K Banu, Jone A Stanley, Kirthiram K Sivakumar, Joe A Arosh, Robert J Taylor, and Robert C Burghardt, “Chromium VI − Induced developmental toxicity of placenta is mediated through spatiotemporal dysregulation of cell survival and apoptotic proteins,” Reproductive Toxicology, 2016.
- Jane E. Persons, and Jess G. Fiedorowicz, “Depression and Serum Low-Density Lipoprotein: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis,” Journal of Affective Disorders, 2016.
- Nadine E Stephenson, and Simon F Crowe, “Statin Use, Ageing, and Cognition: A Review,” Australian Psychologist, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 188–205, 2016.
- Gemma M. Parkinson, Christopher V. Dayas, and Doug W. Smith, “Perturbed cholesterol homeostasis in aging spinal cord,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2016.
- Philip Loziuk, Florian Meier, Caroline Johnson, H. Troy Ghashghaei, and David C. Muddiman, “TransOmic analysis of forebrain sections in Sp2 conditional knockout embryonic mice using IR-MALDESI imaging of lipids and LC-MS/MS label-free proteomics,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2016.
- Jane Y. Chen, Conny Tran, Lin Hwang, Gang Deng, Michael E. Jung, Kym F. Faull, Michael S. Levine, and Carlos Cepeda, “Partial Amelioration of Peripheral and Central Symptoms of Huntington’s Disease via Modulation of Lipid Metabolism,” Journal of Huntington's Disease, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 65–81, 2016.
- Veronica Cartocci, Marco Segatto, Ilenia Di Tunno, Stefano Leone, Frank W. Pfrieger, and Valentina Pallottini, “Modulation of the Isoprenoid/Cholesterol Biosynthetic Pathway During Neuronal Differentiation In Vitro,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 2036–2044, 2016.
- Hong Wang, Matthew D. Taussig, Nicholas V. DiPatrizio, Kimberley Bruce, Daniele Piomelli, and Robert H. Eckel, “Obesity development in neuron-specific lipoprotein lipase deficient mice is not responsive to increased dietary fat content or change in fat composition,” Metabolism, 2016.
- Ashley M. Driver, Lisa E. Kratz, Richard I. Kelley, and Rolf W. Stottmann, “Altered cholesterol biosynthesis causes precocious neurogenesis in the developing mouse forebrain,” Neurobiology of Disease, 2016.
- Zhenyi An, and William A. Weiss, “Cholesterol: An Achilles’ Heel for Glioblastoma?,” Cancer Cell, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 653–654, 2016.
- Adam M. Lopez, Jen-Chieh Chuang, Kenneth S. Posey, and Stephen D. Turley, “Suppression of brain cholesterol synthesis in male Mecp2-deficient mice is age dependent and not accompanied by a concurrent change in the rate of fatty acid synthesis,” Brain Research, 2016.
- Zhong Liu, Cheng Zhang, Alireza Khodadadi-Jamayran, Lam Dang, Xiaosi Han, Kitai Kim, Hu Li, and Rui Zhao, “Canonical microRNAs enable differentiation, protect against DNA damage, and promote cholesterol biosynthesis in neural stem cells,” Stem Cells and Development, 2016.
- Siti Zuraidah Mohamad Zobir, Fazlin Mohd Fauzi, Sonia Liggi, Georgios Drakakis, Xianjun Fu, Tai-Ping Fan, and Andreas Bender, “Global Mapping of Traditional Chinese Medicine into Bioactivity Space and Pathways Annotation Improves Mechanistic Understanding and Discovers Relationships between Therapeutic Action (Sub)classes,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2016, pp. 1–25, 2016.
- Mingyu Zhang, Yue Du, Renzhong Lu, You Shu, Wei Zhao, Zhuoyun Li, Yu Zhang, Ruixue Liu, Ti Yang, Shenjian Luo, Ming Gao, Yue Zhang, Guiye Zhang, Jiaqi Liu, and Yanjie Lu, “ Cholesterol Retards Senescence in Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells by Modulating Autophagy and ROS/p53/p21 Cip1/Waf1 Pathway ,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2016, pp. 1–10, 2016.
- Anna Maria Giudetti, Adele Romano, Angelo Michele Lavecchia, and Silvana Gaetani, “The Role of Brain Cholesterol and its Oxidized Products in Alzheimer's Disease,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 198–205, 2016.
- Mohan Sathya, Ponnusamy Moorthi, Palanisamy Premkumar, Mahesh Kandasamy, Kesavan Swaminathan Jayachandran, and Muthuswamy Anusuyadevi, “Resveratrol Intervenes in the Cholesterol- and Isoprenoid-Mediated Amyloidogenic Processing of AβPP in Familial Alzheimer’s Disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, pp. 1–22, 2017.
- Marlen Knobloch, “The Role of Lipid Metabolism for Neural Stem Cell Regulation,” Brain Plasticity, pp. 1–12, 2017.