- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 536396, 6 pages
Modulation of Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels in Plasmodium berghei Malarial Infection by Crude Aqueous Extract of Ganoderma lucidum
1Department of Biochemistry, College of Natural Science, Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji, Osun, Nigeria
2Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Ondo , Nigeria
3Department of Medical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Nigeria
4Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Benin, Benin, Nigeria
Received 5 April 2012; Revised 12 June 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Gerhard M. Kostner
Copyright © 2012 Olarewaju M. Oluba et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. J. Vial, M. J. Thuet, and J. R. Philippot, “Phospholipid biosynthesis in synchronous Plasmodium falciparum cultures,” Journal of Protozoology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 258–263, 1982.
- P. Grellier, D. Rigomier, V. Clavey, J. C. Fruchart, and J. Schrevel, “Lipid traffic between high density lipoproteins and Plasmodium falciparum-infected red blood cells,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 267–277, 1991.
- G. Krishnegowda and D. C. Gowda, “Intraerythrocytic Plasmodium falciparum incorporates extraneous fatty acids to its lipids without any structural modification,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 2003.
- A. V. O. Ofulla, V. C. N. Okoye, B. Khan et al., “Cultivation of Plasmodium falciparum parasites in a serum-free medium,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 1993.
- G. N. Moll, H. J. Vial, M. L. Ancelin, J. A. F. Op den Kamp, B. Roelofsen, and L. L. M. Van Deenen, “Phospholipid uptake by Plasmodium knowlesi infected erythrocytes,” FEBS Letters, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 341–346, 1988.
- F. Mi-Ichi, K. Kita, and T. Mitamura, “Intraerythrocytic Plasmodium falciparum utilize a broad range of serum-derived fatty acids with limited modification for their growth,” Parasitology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 399–410, 2006.
- N. M. Q. Palacpac, Y. Hiramine, F. Mi-Ichi et al., “Developmental-stage-specific triacylglycerol biosynthesis, degradation and trafficking as lipid bodies in Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 117, no. 8, pp. 1469–1480, 2004.
- M. N. Lombard, R. Bazin, G. Durand et al., “Rodent Plasmodium development in livers of genetically obese Zucker rats (fa/fa),” European Journal of Protistology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 78–81, 1998.
- P. Gratraud, E. Huws, B. Falkard et al., “Oleic acid biosynthesis in Plasmodium falciparum: characterization of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase and investigation as a potential therapeutic target,” PloS ONE, vol. 4, no. 9, article e6889, 2008.
- A. T. Borchers, J. S. Stern, R. M. Hackman, C. L. Keen, and M. E. Gershwin, “Mushrooms, tumors, and immunity,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 221, no. 4, pp. 281–293, 1999.
- Y. Kabir, S. Kimura, and T. Tamura, “Dietary effect of Ganoderma lucidum mushroom on blood pressure and lipid levels in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR),” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 433–438, 1988.
- R. Li Khva, A. V. Vasil'ev, A. N. Orekhov, V. V. Tertov, and V. A. Tutel'ian, “Anti-atherosclerotic properties of higher mushrooms (a clinico-experimental investigation),” Voprosy Pitaniia, vol. 1, pp. 16–19, 1989.
- P. C. K. Cheung and M. Y. Lee, “Fractionation and characterization of mushroom dietary fiber (nonstarch polysaccharides) as potential nutraceuticals from sclerotia of Pleurotus tuber-regium (fries) singer,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3148–3151, 2000.
- M. Fukushima, M. Nakano, Y. Morii, T. Ohashi, Y. Fujiwara, and K. Sonoyama, “Hepatic LDL receptor mRNA in rats is increased by dietary mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) fiber and sugar beet fiber,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 9, pp. 2151–2156, 2000.
- J. Tao and K. Feng, “Experimental and clinical studies on inhibitory effect of Ganoderma lucidum on platelet aggregation,” Journal of Tongji Medical University, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 240–243, 1990.
- S. T. Chang, “Ganoderma-the leader in production and technology of mushroom neutraceuticals,” in Recent Advances in Ganoderma lucidum Research, B. K. Kim and Y. S. Kim, Eds., pp. 43–52, The Pharmaceutical Society of Korea, Seoul, Korea, 1995.
- A. W. Chen and P. G. Miles, “Biomedical research and the application of the mushroom nutriceuticals from Ganoderma lucidum,” in Mushroom Biology and Mushroom Products, D. J. Royse, Ed., pp. 161–175, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa, USA, 1996.
- S. T. Chang and J. A. Buswell, “Medicinal Mushrooms—a prominent source of nutriceuticals for the 21st century,” Current Topics in Nutraceutical Research, vol. 1, pp. 257–280, 2003.
- O. M. Oluba, E. C. Onyeneke, G. C. Ojieh, B. O. Idonije, and T. I. Ojiezeh, “Hepatoprotective potential of aqueous extract of Ganoderma lucidum against carbon tetrachloride intoxication in rats,” Der Pharmacia Lettre, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 432–439, 2010.
- National Research Council, Guides For the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1985.
- L. H. Carvalho, M. G. L. Brandao, D. Santos-Filho, J. L. C. Lopes, and A. U. Krettli, “Antimalarial activity of crude extracts from Brazilian plants studied in vivo in Plasmodium berghei-infected mice and in vitro against Plasmodium falciparum in culture,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1113–1123, 1991.
- M. I. Builders, N. N. Wannang, G. A. Ajoku, P. F. Builders, A. Onsadipe, and J. C. Aguiyi, “Evaluation of the antimalarial potential of Vernonia ambigua kotschy and peyr (Asteraceae),” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 238–247, 2011.
- R. Beckwith, R. H. Schenkel, and P. H. Silverman, “Qualitative analysis of phospholipids isolated from nonviable Plasmodium antigen,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 164–172, 1975.
- D. H. Beach, I. W. Sherman, and G. G. Holz, “Lipids of Plasmodium lophurae, and of erythrocytes and plasmas of normal and P. lophurae infected Pekin ducklings,” Journal of Parasitology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 62–75, 1977.
- G. C. Akuodor, M. Idris-Usman, T. C. Ugwu, J. L. Akpan, S. I. Ghasi, and U. A. Osunkwo, “In vivo schizonticidal activity of ethanolic leaf extract of Ganoderma latifolium on Plasmodium berghei berghei in mice,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 2316–2321, 2010.
- S. Dewanjee, A. Maiti, M. Kundu, and S. G. Mandal, “Evaluation of anthelmintic activity of crude extracts of Diospyros peregrina, Coccinia grandis and Schima wallichii,” Dhaka University Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 121–123, 2007.
- J. D. Philipson and C. W. Wright, “Antiprotozoal compounds from plants source,” Planta Medica, vol. 57, pp. 553–559, 1990.
- W. Milliken, “Malaria and antimalarial plants in Roraima, Brazil,” Tropical Doctor, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 1997.
- S. B. Christensen and A. Kharazmi, “Antimalarial natural products: isolation, characterization and biological properties,” in Bioactive Compounds From Natural Sources, Tringali, Ed., pp. 379–432, Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 2001.
- E. C. Onyeneke, E. O. Alumanah, and F. E. Mba, “Serum lipoprotein cholesterol of malarial patients: possible effects of chloroquine administration,” Journal of Environmental Toxicology, vol. 1, pp. 15–21, 1997.
- I. C. Onongbu and E. C. Onyeneke, “Plasma lipid changes in human malaria,” Tropenmedizin und Parasitologie, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 193–196, 1983.
- C. Seshadri, B. R. Shetty, N. Gowri et al., “Biochemical changes at different levels of parasitaemia in Plasmodium vivax malaria,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 437–442, 1983.
- P. Maurois, P. Charet, A. Nouvelot, J. C. Fruchart, A. Vernes, and J. Biguet, “Kinetic study of serum lipoproteins, total cholesterol and triacylglycerides in various models of experimental rodent malaria,” Annals of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 17–28, 1980.