- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 976578, 5 pages
Changes in Lipids and Lipoproteins after Selective LDL Apheresis (7-Year Experience)
11st Cardiology Department, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, 17674 Athens, Greece
2Internal Medicine Department, General Hospital “G. Papanikolaou”, Kimi, Greece
3Cardiology Department, Tzanio General Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Received 30 September 2011; Revised 20 December 2011; Accepted 12 January 2012
Academic Editor: Peter J. Lansberg
Copyright © 2012 Genovefa Kolovou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Austin, C. M. Hutter, R. L. Zimmern, and S. E. Humpries, “Familial hypercholesterolemia and coronary heart disease: a HuGE association review,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 160, no. 5, pp. 421–429, 2004.
- J. Emery, K. Barlow-Stewart, S. A. Metcalfe, and D. Sullivan, “Genetics and preventive health care,” Australian Family Physician, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 808–811, 2007.
- A. K. Soutar and R. P. Naoumova, “Mechanisms of disease: genetic causes of familial hypercholesterolemia,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 214–225, 2007.
- M. Varret, M. Abifadel, J. P. Rabes, and C. Boileau, “Genetic heterogeneity of autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia,” Clinical Genetics, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2008.
- S. E. Leigh, A. H. Foster, R. A. Whittall, C. S. Hubbart, and S. E. Humphries, “Update and analysis of the university college london low density lipoprotein receptor familial hypercholesterolemia database,” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 485–498, 2008.
- J. H. Baumer and J. P. H. Shield, “Hypercholesterolaemia in children guidelines review,” Archives of Disease in Childhood. Education and Practice Edition, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 84–86, 2009.
- D. Damgaard, M. L. Larsen, P. H. Nissen et al., “The relationship of molecular genetic to clinical diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia in a Danish population,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. 155–160, 2005.
- N. A. Neil, J. Cooper, D. J. Betteridge et al., “All-cause and cardiovascular mortality in treated patients with severe hypertriglyceridaemia: a long-term prospective registry study,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 618–623, 2010.
- A. S. Wierzbicki, S. E. Humphries, and R. Minhas, “Familial hypercholesterolaemia: summary of nice guidance. Guideline development group,” British Medical Journal, vol. 337, article a1095, 2008.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- A. A. Kroon, M. A. Van't Hof, P. N. M. Demacker, and A. F. H. Stalenhoef, “The rebound of lipoproteins after LDL-apheresis. Kinetics and estimation of mean lipoprotein levels,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 519–526, 2000.
- H. Scharnagl, M. Nauck, H. Wieland, and W. März, “The friedewald formula underestimates LDL cholesterol at low concentrations,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 426–431, 2001.
- A. A. Kroon, W. R. Aengevaeren, T. Van Der Werf et al., “LDL-apheresis atherosclerosis regression study (LAARS). Effect of aggressive versus conventional lipid lowering treatment on coronary atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 1826–1835, 1996.
- S. Nishimura, M. Sekiguchi, T. Kano et al., “Effects of intensive lipid lowering by low-density lipoprotein apheresis on regression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: japan low-density lipoprotein apheresis coronary atherosclerosis prospective study (L-CAPS),” Atherosclerosis, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 409–417, 1999.
- H. Mabuchi, J. Koizumi, M. Shimizu et al., “Long-term efficacy of low-density lipoprotein apheresis on coronary heart disease in familial hypercholesterolemia,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1489–1495, 1998.
- G. Kolovou, D. Daskalova, I. Mastorakou, K. Anagnostopoulou, and D. V. Cokkinos, “Regression of achilles tendon xanthomas evaluated by CT scan after hypolipidemic treatment with simvastatin: a case report,” Angiology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 335–339, 2004.
- G. D. Kolovou, K. K. Anagnostopoulou, N. D. Pilatis et al., “Heterozygote men with familial hypercholesterolaemia may have an abnormal triglyceride response post-prandially. Evidence for another predictor of vascular risk in familial hypercholesterolaemia,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 311–317, 2005.
- G. D. Kolovou, G. V. Dedoussis, K. K. Anagnostopoulou et al., “Management of a patient with a null low-density lipoprotein receptor mutation: a case report,” Angiology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 729–732, 2007.
- N. Masaki, R. Tatami, T. Kumamoto et al., “Ten-year follow-up of familial hypercholesterolemia patients after intensive cholesterol-lowering therapy,” International Heart Journal, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 833–843, 2005.
- B. R. Gordon, S. F. Kelsey, P. C. Dau et al., “Long-term effects of low-density lipoprotein apheresis using an automated dextran sulfate cellulose adsorption system,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 407–411, 1998.
- C. Keller, “LDL-apheresis in homozygous LDL-receptor-defective familial hypercholesterolemia: the Munich experience,” Atherosclerosis Supplements, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 21–26, 2009.
- M. J. Koziolek, U. Hennig, A. Zapf et al., “Retrospective analysis of long-term lipid apheresis at a single center,” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 143–152, 2009.
- V. Schettler, E. Wieland, V. W. Armstrong, T. Kleinoeder, R. W. Grunewald, and G. A. Müller, “First steps toward the establishment of a German low-density lipoprotein-apheresis registry: recommendations for the indication and for quality management,” Therapeutic Apheresis, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 381–383, 2002.
- Z. M. Szczepiorkowski, J. L. Winters, N. Bandarenko et al., “Guidelines on the use of therapeutic apheresis in clinical practice—evidence-based approach from the apheresis applications committee of the American society for apheresis,” Journal of Clinical Apheresis, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 83–177, 2010.
- G. R. Thompson, “HEART-UK LDL apheresis working group. Recommendations for the use of LDL apheresis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 247–255, 2008.
- N. Koga and Y. Iwata, “Pathological and angiographic regression of coronary atherosclerosis by LDL-apheresis in a patient with familial hypercholesterolemia,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 1991.