- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Cardiovascular Psychiatry and Neurology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 695925, 14 pages
Depression and Cardiac Disease: Epidemiology, Mechanisms, and Diagnosis
1Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
2Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Blake 11, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
3Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Received 29 January 2013; Accepted 18 March 2013
Academic Editor: Kenji Hashimoto
Copyright © 2013 Jeff C. Huffman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [50 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Raeanne C. Moore, Elizabeth A. Chattillion, Jennifer Ceglowski, Jennifer Ho, Roland von Känel, Paul J. Mills, Michael G. Ziegler, Thomas L. Patterson, Igor Grant, and Brent T. Mausbach, “A Randomized Clinical Trial of Behavioral Activation (BA) Therapy for Improving Psychological and Physical Health in Dementia Caregivers: Results of the Pleasant Events Program (PEP),” Behaviour Research and Therapy, 2013.
- Alexandra L. Terrill, Jill M. Gjerde, and John P. Garofalo, “Background Stress Inventory: Developing a Measure of Understudied Stress,” Stress and Health, 2013.
- A. Goodhart, “The relationship between heart and 'inner self' from Aristotle to current clinical practice,” Medical Humanities, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 2013.
- Stephen M. Strakowski, Melissa P. DelBello, and Caleb M. Adler, “Is Depression Simply a Nonspecific Response to Brain Injury?,” Current Psychiatry Reports, vol. 15, no. 9, 2013.
- Steven D. Weisbord, Maria K. Mor, Mary Ann Sevick, Anne Marie Shields, Bruce L. Roffman, Paul M. Palevsky, Robert M. Arnold, Jamie A. Green, and Michael J. Fine, “Associations of Depressive Symptoms and Pain with Dialysis Adherence, Health Resource Utilization, and Mortality in Patients Receiving Chronic Hemodialysis,” Clinical Journal of The American Society of Nephrology, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1594–1602, 2014.
- Peter Chang, Kevin T. Nead, Jeffrey W. Olin, John P. Cooke, and Nicholas J. Leeper, “Clinical and socioeconomic factors associated with unrecognized peripheral artery disease,” Vascular Medicine, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 289–296, 2014.
- Cilia Mejia-Lancheros, Ramon Estruch, Miguel Angel Martinez-Gonzalez, Jordi Salas-Salvado, Dolores Corella, Enrique Gomez-Gracia, Miquel Fiol, Jose Manuel Santos, Montse Fito, Fernando Aros, Lluis Serra-Majem, Xavier Pinto, Josep Basora, Jose Vicente Sorli, and Miguel-Angel Munoz, “Blood pressure values and depression in hypertensive individuals at high cardiovascular risk,” Bmc Cardiovascular Disorders, vol. 14, 2014.
- K. J. Serodio, C. I. Ardern, M. A. Rotondi, and J. L. Kuk, “Tricyclic and SSRI usage influences the association between BMI and health risk factors,” Clinical Obesity, 2014.
- Tam Truong Donnelly, Jassim Mohd Al Suwaidi, Awad Al-Qahtani, Nidal Asaad, Najlaa Abdul Qader, Rajvir Singh, Tak Shing Fung, Irem Mueed, Shima Sharara, Noha El Banna, and Sarah Omar, “Depression in Cardiovascular Patients in Middle Eastern Populations: A Literature Review,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 2014.
- Ines Diminic-Lisica, Branislava Popovic, Jelena Rebic, Miro Klaric, and Tanja Franciškovic, “Outcome of Treatment with Antidepressants in Patients with Hypertension and Undetected Depression,” The International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 115–129, 2014.
- Peter Johansson, Erland Svensson, Urban Alehagen, Ulf Dahlström, Tiny Jaarsma, and Anders Broström, “Sleep disordered breathing, hypoxia and inflammation: associations with sickness behaviour in community dwelling elderly with and without cardiovascular disease,” Sleep and Breathing, 2014.
- Szabolcs Kéri, Csilla Szabó, and Oguz Kelemen, “Expression of Toll-Like Receptors in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and response to cognitive-behavioral therapy in major depressive disorder,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2014.
- Laura Suarez, Scott R. Beach, Shannon V. Moore, Carol A. Mastromauro, James L. Januzzi, Christopher M. Celano, Trina E. Chang, and Jeff C. Huffman, “Use of the patient health questionnaire-9 and a detailed suicide evaluation in determining imminent suicidality in distressed cardiac patients,” Psychosomatics, 2014.
- Ian Michael Breunig, Fadia T Shaya, Justin Tevie, and David Roffman, “Incident depression increases medical utilization in Medicaid patients with hypertension,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Seyedeh Samaneh Esteghamat, Sanaz Moghaddami, Seyedeh Sana Esteghamat, Hadi Kazemi, Peir Hossein Kolivand, and Ali Gorji, “The course of anxiety and depression in surgical and non-surgical patients,” International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 2014.
- Lauren D. Garfield, Jeffrey F. Scherrer, Paul J. Hauptman, Kenneth E. Freedland, Tim Chrusciel, Sumitra Balasubramanian, Robert M. Carney, John W. Newcomer, Richard Owen, Kathleen K. Bucholz, and Patrick J. Lustman, “Association of Anxiety Disorders and Depression With Incident Heart Failure,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 128–136, 2014.
- Dietrich Rothenbacher, Andrea Jaensch, Ute Mons, Harry Hahmann, Thomas Becker, Wolfgang Koenig, and Hermann Brenner, “Prognostic value of one-year course of symptoms of anxiety and depression in patients with coronary heart disease: Role of physical activity and unmet,” European Journal Of Preventive Cardiology, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1129–1138, 2015.
- Linda Ernstsen, Vegar Rangul, Javaid Nauman, Bjarne M. Nes, Håvard Dalen, Steinar Krokstad, Carl J. Lavie, Steven N. Blair, and Ulrik Wisløff, “Protective Effect of Regular Physical Activity on Depression after Myocardial Infarction: the HUNT Study,” The American Journal of Medicine, 2015.
- Jeff C. Huffman, Eleanor E. Beale, Scott R. Beach, Christopher M. Celano, Arianna M. Belcher, Shannon V. Moore, Laura Suarez, Parul U. Gandhi, Shweta R. Motiwala, Hanna Gaggin, and James L. Januzzi, “Design and baseline data from the Gratitude Research in Acute Coronary Events (GRACE) study,” Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2015.
- Gail Leslie, Ellen M. Robinson, Mary Zwirner, John J. Purcell, and Cornelia Cremens, “Making Treatment Choices From "Dark Places": A Role for Ethics Consultation,” American Journal Of Bioethics, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 72–74, 2015.
- Malin Stenman, Martin J. Holzmann, and Ulrik Sartipy, “Do socioeconomic factors modify the association between preoperative antidepressant use and survival following coronary artery bypass surgery?,” International Journal of Cardiology, 2015.
- Christina M. DuBois, Oriana Vesga Lopez, Eleanor E. Beale, Brian C. Healy, Julia K. Boehm, and Jeff C. Huffman, “Relationships between positive psychological constructs and health outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease: A systematic review,” International Journal of Cardiology, 2015.
- Hsin-An Chang, Chuan-Chia Chang, Terry B. J. Kuo, and San-Yuan Huang, “Distinguishing bipolar II depression from unipolar major depressive disorder: Differences in heart rate variability,” The World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Jenni Ervasti, Jussi Vahtera, Jaana Pentti, Tuula Oksanen, Kirsi Ahola, Teija Kivekas, Mika Kivimaki, and Marianna Virtanen, “Return to Work After Depression-Related Absence by Employees With and Without Other Health Conditions: A Cohort Study,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 2015.
- Jenelle L. Pederson, Sumit R. Majumdar, MaryForhan MHSc, Jeffrey A. Johnson, and Finlay A. McAlister, “Current Depressive Symptoms but not History of Depression Predict Hospital Readmission or Death after Discharge from Medical Wards: A Multi-Site Prospective Cohort Study.,” General Hospital Psychiatry, 2015.
- Patrizia Amadio, Gualtiero I. Colombo, Eva Tarantino, Sara Gianellini, Alessandro Ieraci, Maura Brioschi, Cristina Banfi, José P. Werba, Alessandro Parolari, Francis S. Lee, Elena Tremoli, and Silvia S. Barbieri, “BDNFVal66met polymorphism: a potential bridge between depression and thrombosis,” European Heart Journal, pp. ehv655, 2015.
- Claudia Luck-Sikorski, Melanie Luppa, Kathrin Heser, Markus Bleckwenn, Tina Posselt, Annette Ernst, Jochen Werle, Dagmar Weeg, Edelgard Mösch, Birgitt Wiese, Susanne Steinmann, Angela Fuchs, Michael Pentzek, Hans-Helmut König, Christian Brettschneider, Martin Scherer, Wolfgang Maier, Siegfried Weyerer, and Steffi G. Riedel-Heller, “Mild Depressive Symptoms Predict Mortality from Heart Failure in Elderly Men but Not Women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 2408–2410, 2015.
- Jonathan Gallagher, Giulia Parenti, and Frank Doyle, “Psychological Aspects of Cardiac Care and Rehabilitation: Time to Wake Up to Sleep?,” Current Cardiology Reports, vol. 17, no. 12, 2015.
- Connor Ojard, John P. Donnelly, Monika M. Safford, Russell Griffin, and Henry E. Wang, “Psychosocial Stress as a Risk Factor for Sepsis,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 93–100, 2015.
- Antonio Lanata, Gaetano Valenza, Mimma Nardelli, Claudio Gentili, and Enzo Pasquale Scilingo, “Complexity Index From a Personalized Wearable Monitoring System for Assessing Remission in Mental Health,” Ieee Journal Of Biomedical And Health Informatics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 132–139, 2015.
- Diana P. Brostow, Alan T. Hirsch, and Mindy S. Kurzer, “Recruiting older patients with peripheral arterial disease: evaluating challenges and strategies,” Patient Preference And Adherence, vol. 9, pp. 1121–1128, 2015.
- Saeid Komasi, and Mozhgan Saeidi, “A Perceived Risk Factor May Lead to Increased Anxiety and Depression in Cardiovascular Patients,” Jundishapur Journal of Chronic Disease Care, vol. Inpress, no. Inpress, 2016.
- Anahita Rabiee, Sina Nikayin, Mohamed D. Hashem, Minxuan Huang, Victor D. Dinglas, O. Joseph Bienvenu, Alison E. Turnbull, and Dale M. Needham, “Depressive Symptoms After Critical Illness,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1744–1753, 2016.
- Giuseppe Grosso, Agnieszka Micek, Stefano Marventano, Sabrina Castellano, Antonio Mistretta, Andrzej Pajak, and Fabio Galvano, “Dietary n-3 PUFA, fish consumption and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies,” Journal of Affective Disorders, 2016.
- Hsin-Pei Feng, Wu-Chien Chien, Wei-Tung Cheng, Chi-Hsiang Chung, Shu-Meng Cheng, and Wen-Chii Tzeng, “Risk of anxiety and depressive disorders in patients with myocardial infarction,” Medicine, vol. 95, no. 34, pp. e4464, 2016.
- Karolina Wesołowska, Marko Elovainio, Mikael Koponen, Annukka M. Tuiskula, Mirka Hintsanen, Liisa Keltikangas-Järvinen, Ilmari Määttänen, Heikki Swan, and Taina Hintsa, “Is Symptomatic Long QT Syndrome Associated with Depression in Women and Men?,” Journal of Genetic Counseling, 2016.
- Shaoxin Cai, Alison M. Coates, Jonathan D. Buckley, Narelle M. Berry, Lisa Burres, John Beltrame, Peter R.C. Howe, and Geoffrey Schrader, “There is no Association Between the Omega-3 Index and Depressive Symptoms in Patients With Heart Disease who are Low Fish Consumers,” Heart, Lung and Circulation, 2016.
- Eveline van Montfort, Johan Denollet, Jos Widdershoven, and Nina Kupper, “Interrelation and independence of positive and negative psychological constructs in predicting general treatment adherence in coronary artery patients — Results from the THORESCI study,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 2016.
- Lukas Weibel, Paola Massarotto, Hannele Hediger, and Romy Mahrer-Imhof, “Early education and counselling of patients with acute coronary syndrome. A pilot study for a randomized controlled trial,” European Journal Of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 213–222, 2016.
- Jesse A. Columbo, David H. Stone, Philip P. Goodney, Brian W. Nolan, Jennifer A. Stableford, Benjamin S. Brooke, Richard J. Powell, and Christine T. Finn, “The Prevalence and Regional Variation of Major Depressive Disorder Among Patients With Peripheral Arterial Disease in the Medicare Population,” Vascular And Endovascular Surgery, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 235–240, 2016.
- Joanna M. Morys, Jerzy Bellwon, Stefan Hoefer, Andrzej Rynkiewicz, and Marcin Gruchala, “Quality of life in patients with coronary heart disease after myocardial infarction and with ischemic heart failure,” Archives Of Medical Science, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 326–333, 2016.
- Saime Akdemir Akar, Sadik Kara, and Vedat Bilgic, “Investigation of heart rate variability in major depression patients using wavelet packet transform,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 238, pp. 326–332, 2016.
- Christopher M. Celano, Brian Healy, Laura Suarez, Douglas E. Levy, Carol Mastromauro, James L. Januzzi, and Jeff C. Huffman, “Cost-Effectiveness of a Collaborative Care Depression and Anxiety Treatment Program in Patients with Acute Cardiac Illness,” Value in Health, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 185–191, 2016.
- Leili Pourafkari, Samad Ghaffari, Arezou Tajlil, Jafar Shahamfar, Solmaz Hedayati, and Nader D. Nader, “The impact of cardiac rehabilitation program on anxiety and depression levels after coronary artery bypass graft surgery,” Cor et Vasa, 2016.
- A M Lasserre, M-P F Strippoli, J Glaus, M Gholam-Rezaee, C L Vandeleur, E Castelao, P Marques-Vidal, G Waeber, P Vollenweider, and M Preisig, “Prospective associations of depression subtypes with cardio-metabolic risk factors in the general population,” Molecular Psychiatry, 2016.
- Rachel P. Ogilvie, Susan A. Everson-Rose, W. T. Longstreth, Carlos J. Rodriguez, Ana V. Diez-Roux, and Pamela L. Lutsey, “Psychosocial Factors and Risk of Incident Heart Failure The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis,” Circulation-Heart Failure, vol. 9, no. 1, 2016.
- Merete Osler, Solvej Mårtensson, Ida Kim Wium-Andersen, Eva Prescott, Per Kragh Andersen, Terese Sara Høj Jørgensen, Kathrine Carlsen, Marie Kim Wium-Andersen, and Martin Balslev Jørgensen, “Depression After First Hospital Admission for Acute Coronary Syndrome: A Study of Time of Onset and Impact on Survival,” American Journal of Epidemiology, pp. kwv227, 2016.
- Steven D. Weisbord, “Patient-Centered Dialysis Care: Depression, Pain, and Quality of Life,” Seminars in Dialysis, 2016.
- Jenelle L. Pederson, Lindsey M. Warkentin, Sumit R. Majumdar, and Finlay A. McAlister, “Depressive symptoms are associated with higher rates of readmission or mortality after medical hospitalization: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Hospital Medicine, 2016.
- Mario A. Caro, Julie L. Rosenthal, Kay Kendall, Leopoldo Pozuelo, and Margo C. Funk, “What the Psychiatrist Needs to Know About Ventricular Assist Devices: A Comprehensive Review,” Psychosomatics, 2016.